What's new

New Logic Pro 10.7 drops with Spatial Audio support.

Yeah, links to the app store don't work. They just bring up 10.7. I found some disk images and torrents, but can't say I want to run those installers without a better sense of who is providing them.
Sorry to hear. Tried to recap, what I did.
But from my memory, it was something like just google and found.

The Logic Pro 10.7 release notes shows this update is indeed more than just spacial audio focused. Holy cow! Happy scrolling!
:)

• The Track Inspector now offers separate MIDI input and output port settings
I'm about to download and test, but could this finally be the end of the infamous "midi bottleneck" if we're able to address more than 16 channels at once?

• The Track Inspector now offers separate MIDI input and output port setting
Sooo can you actually now record different MIDI input ports on different tracks? Just asking for a friend.

(we're gonna test this asap)
Haha, right?! I'm downloading now and will either be very happy or pissed off later today. :laugh:

Sooo can you actually now record different MIDI input ports on different tracks? Just asking for a friend.

That will be interesting to find out. That will make a lot of people happy if so.

DMD is improved still. Dragging to the cells is snappier (and confirmed via the support notes) and a long standing performance issue I submitted a couple of times (involving empty cells) appears to be solved.
Although that last one may have just been a corner smoothed on the journey to Apple Silicon.

I just tried 10.7 on my 2019 fully-maxed-out MacBook Pro.

Five Kontakt tracks, and it sends the fans spinning, just like 10.6.

I'm seriously confused how I have such a beefy machine and not have a single Logic project that will run silently.

Yes, if I'm understanding correctly.

The first track only accepts input via the M-Track midi interface, and the second only accepts input from the Oxygen Mini.

If I record enable both tracks and play both keyboards simultaneously, midi is sent and split to the individual tracks.

Is this new, btw? Always thought it was a feature I never bothered to try.

Screenshot 2021-10-18 at 23.34.10.png Screenshot 2021-10-18 at 23.34.03.png

Last edited:
I'm still on 10.5.1, and now seem to now be locked out of updates until I move to Big Sur. I can't remember if there is a way around that, to upgrade to the highest version supported by Catalina.
I'm on Mojave and I just updated Logic from version 10.4.3 to version 10.5.1 (the latest that will run on Mojave) a couple of days ago. I did some web searching and used the following process:

1) I went to my Applications folder, selected Logic Pro and chose File\Compress Logic Pro to create a back-up zip file of my current version, then moved the resulting zipped file into a folder on a back-up drive.
2) I selected my current Logic Pro App and put it in the trash, then restarted my Mac (important).
3) I opened the App store and clicked on my account name in the bottom left.
4) I clicked on the download symbol next to Logic Pro, and a pop-up window asked me if I wanted to download the latest version that would run on my system. I clicked "yes" and it installed version 10.5.1.

Not a fan of the new low contrast UI. I wonder if it looks different in Monterey?

Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 5.09.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 5.09.37 PM.png
Hmm overall I like the changes. I think my least favorite is that top left toolbar you show, but the track list looks great.

But...when will they ditch the skeuomorphic faders?

The Beatles reissues are good. Mainly the classic “recorded with a band” stuff seems to benefit.
It may not be the same mix as you are talking about, but the recent Beatles release of The Long and Winding Road on Spotify… while perhaps sounding technically better… to me… loses all sense of character and joy compared to the original mix. I’m all for making things sound better, but it made me ask myself “what is better?” I think that needs addressed. A sonic mold doesn’t fit every song. At least that is my thought. Anyway… haven’t listened to the whole album yet. And admittedly, the one song I mentioned does sound technically better… but it loses a lot in the process. I’d potentially say that with a remixed modern song too… so it isn’t just about remixing an old song with new standards. It is about what we consider to be great technically may actually be part of the problem with music in the last 10 years or so…

I’ll add that I am an 80s baby, so I’m not sonically tied to the original Beatles recordings or fandom… Just added for discussion’s sake.

It may not be the same mix as you are talking about, but the recent Beatles release of The Long and Winding Road on Spotify… while perhaps sounding technically better… to me… loses all sense of character and joy compared to the original mix.
Check out Greg Penny's spatial mix of Glen Campbell's version of the Jimmy Webb classic "Wichita Lineman". Greg played it for me in his Atmos mix room, which was not all that fancy (Dynaudio Air6's all around, just hanging from lighting trusses in a room in an office park) and it was shockingly great. Like, chills down the spine great. Glen singing front and center, surrounded (literally) by the band and orchestra, with the strings in the back and top... amazing. His mixes of Elton John's catalog are similarly fantastic.

Spine-tingling stuff.

I can't wait to dig into properly mixing spatial inside Logic. Although the Genelec dealer may be happy, my right ass cheek (where my wallet goes) is already starting to sting....

User patches and channel strips are broken with Kontakt, they don't recall saved patch/strip names, everything is renamed Kontakt.

Top Bottom