What's new

New! full-width theme!

Looks good. Like on the old forum, why not put some ad banners in the unused space at the top - next to the VI-C logo. So long as they are static banners (like they used to be) and don't flash at people, that could work well.

vi2.jpg

Looks good. Like on the old forum, why not put some ad banners in the unused space at the top - next to the VI-C logo. So long as they are static banners (like they used to be) and don't flash at people, that could work well.

I have been thinking about it, seriously... I see less and less a reason to keep a separate portal if people are going to bypass it...

Exactly. My bookmark brings me right to the page you see in the pic I posted above. Why would I want to go through the portal? And why would a dev pay to advertise if their ad is just being bypassed, where those ads do not show up on the rest of the site? Again - just following the form of the old forum I think would be fine. I don't think anyone has complained in the past about the ad banners at the top of the page - have they? No reason to, really. As long as they don't continually flash, that is. :)

We can't avoid animated banners, but I will ask a few developers to gradually reduce the number of transitions on their banners. Some have gone overboard, not considering that they may actually make people move away from the page. Work in progress. I do remember the old site DID have animated banners on the portal...

I also have to think about what it would look like on mobile devices...

Animated banners are ok. Ones that transition are fine, IMHO. It's the banners that continually flash that are the problem. So, you have a background, and the company name on top of it. The bkgd stays static, but the name quickly flashes On off ON off On off - that to me is really annoying, and if it's bad enough, it IS going to make people move away from the page. You can always refresh w/F5 to get another ad, but you really shouldn't have to.

Is the old forum still accessible somehow? I can show you exactly what I mean. If you don't want to make it public, feel free to pm me.

Cheers.

Top Bottom