What's new

New from Strezov Sampling: Afflatus Chapter - Part one: Strings

Afflatus, at nearly twice the price, has far fewer patches, and many of these are quirky things I'd never use in a million years. On occasion I use portamento and will miss it. The "Pads" patch, while cool, is a lot of content I don't want or need, and it really could be a stand-alone library for $99. I feel like I've paid for quite a bit in Afflatus I'll never use (I predict I'll use just individual chambers, lush, minimals and shorts.)

I appreciate this post - I work in the same field and I've been hovering on Afflatus for the past three days, even my finger at times twitching over the "add to cart" button but I've been following the old musician's adage - "When in doubt, lay out". The demos sound fantastic, but primarily working in the pop field, and often on larger budget projects where the VI strings do get replaced by real strings, I was having a really hard time reconciling how great the library sounded versus the nagging feeling that there's a lot of stuff there I would never use.

It's hard to get that perspective here because so many people lean on the trailer/orchestral/game side of things where everything always sounds like a John Williams extravaganza. I'm thrilled to see a post from someone who took the plunge AND works in the pop field as well.

As amazing as Afflatus sounds, I just found it a whole lot easier to take a pass and put my money towards something that I'll get more mileage out of.

I appreciate this post - I work in the same field and I've been hovering on Afflatus for the past three days, even my finger at times twitching over the "add to cart" button but I've been following the old musician's adage - "When in doubt, lay out". The demos sound fantastic, but primarily working in the pop field, and often on larger budget projects where the VI strings do get replaced by real strings, I was having a really hard time reconciling how great the library sounded versus the nagging feeling that there's a lot of stuff there I would never use.

It's hard to get that perspective here because so many people lean on the trailer/orchestral/game side of things where everything always sounds like a John Williams extravaganza. I'm thrilled to see a post from someone who took the plunge AND works in the pop field as well.

As amazing as Afflatus sounds, I just found it a whole lot easier to take a pass and put my money towards something that I'll get more mileage out of.
Glad my post was of help. An update: after getting to the mixing stage I have found Aff is just not working in my pop track, even with layering, so I've switched back to Spitfire Studio Strings.

Hi! Owners of Afflatus, could you make a simple rebow example for violins and cello section, like a first part of this:

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/dimension-strings-rebow-example-mp3.16630/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Attachments

• Dimension strings rebow example.mp3
    1.2 MB · Views: 105
Glad my post was of help. An update: after getting to the mixing stage I have found Aff is just not working in my pop track, even with layering, so I've switched back to Spitfire Studio Strings.
Afflatus ain't no pop library. Session Strings Pro 2, Adventure Strings or Studio Strings is more suited to that kind of thing. If you're a pop producer, it's best to avoid these kinds of lush film score-style string libraries. The same goes for film score-style producers in the opposite regard.

I've only had an hour or so with this library, and while it doesn't have portamento, a dedicated vibrato control, or velocity control of note attacks, I'm very happy with what I've heard so far. I'm glad I contacted Strezov for a review copy of this library, both because it sounds really good, it has divisi options and polyphonic legato, but most of all because it's rather modular. And since I'm totally new to this Afflatus, I have a question about the modularity of this lib: can someone confirm that this is correct (using the main 4 viola presets as an example):

• Lush Violas KS (8 violas + divisi), with a choice of using full section only only, half section only or both.
So this is essentially two different 4 voice sections.

• Chamber violas (4 violas). I guess this is one of the 4 voice sections that are used in the preset above.

• Minimalist Violas legato (4 violas plus divisi, which also can be played polyphonically or monophonically), in other words: two different 2-voice sections, which can be used with or without the divisi option.

• Scene d'Amour Violas legato (3 violas)

With these recordings (4+4+2+2+3), one can configure Kontakt to play:

2 voices (although that isn't something one would want)
3 voices
4 voices (as in 2+2), or using either of the 4-voice samplings
5 voices (as in 3+2)
6 voices (as in 4 + 2), in various combinations
7 voices (as in 4+3), in various combinations
8 voices (as in 4+4 or 4+2+2) in various combinations
9 voices (as in 4+2+3) in various combinations
10 voices (as in 4+4+2 (in various combinations)
11 voices (as in 4+4+3) in various combinations
12 voices (as in 4+4+2+2)
...and so on, all the way up to 15 unique voices.

(I assume that the above is correct, but again - please correct me if I'm wrong?)

Generally, this library doesn't have as many control options as for instance Berlin Strings, but it's a lot more configurable than most libraries when it comes to deciding section sizes; an option I've missed in several other libraries I have.

I've only had an hour or so with this library, and while it doesn't have portamento, a dedicated vibrato control, or velocity control of note attacks, I'm very happy with what I've heard so far. I'm glad I contacted Strezov for a review copy of this library, both because it sounds really good, it has divisi options and polyphonic legato, but most of all because it's rather modular. And since I'm totally new to this Afflatus, I have a question about the modularity of this lib: can someone confirm that this is correct (using the main 4 viola presets as an example):

• Lush Violas KS (8 violas + divisi), with a choice of using full section only only, half section only or both.
So this is essentially two different 4 voice sections.

• Chamber violas (4 violas). I guess this is one of the 4 voice sections that are used in the preset above.

• Minimalist Violas legato (4 violas plus divisi, which also can be played polyphonically or monophonically), in other words: two different 2-voice sections, which can be used with or without the divisi option.

• Scene d'Amour Violas legato (3 violas)

With these recordings (4+4+2+2+3), one can configure Kontakt to play:

2 voices (although that isn't something one would want)
3 voices
4 voices (as in 2+2), or using either of the 4-voice samplings
5 voices (as in 3+2)
6 voices (as in 4 + 2), in various combinations
7 voices (as in 4+3), in various combinations
8 voices (as in 4+4 or 4+2+2) in various combinations
9 voices (as in 4+2+3) in various combinations
10 voices (as in 4+4+2 (in various combinations)
11 voices (as in 4+4+3) in various combinations
12 voices (as in 4+4+2+2)
...and so on, all the way up to 15 unique voices.

(I assume that the above is correct, but again - please correct me if I'm wrong?)

Generally, this library doesn't have as many control options as for instance Berlin Strings, but it's a lot more configurable than most libraries when it comes to deciding section sizes; an option I've missed in several other libraries I have.
Yep. One of the reasons I love the library.

Reactions: Vik
Basically, CSS is for hardcore composers and arrangers looking for a disciplined yet expressive scoring stage sound. Afflatus is for all out expression, variety and a much warmer sound.
As a new owner of Afflatus I can attest to this. It’s definitely organic, expressive and lush and it does offer a lot of variety. It’s full bodied with plenty of room and air. It seems brighter now that I’m playing it, more so than in the demos. Funny how your perception changes when you finally get ‘hands on’.

I’m still getting to know it and though I’m enjoying it a lot, by itself it won’t give me everything I’m looking for (no single library can) so I ended up buying CSS as well.

I thought your use of the word “disciplined” to describe CSS was very apt by the way.

With two new libraries to enjoy, Afflatus first chairs coming as a free expansion, and CSB not far away, I’m swimming in VI goodness.

(Edit - I do wish that Afflatus had portamento though).

Last edited:
@Cory Pelizzari Hi Cory, so now that you have Afflatus, what other ensemble string libraries do you still use? Have you found that it replaces (for the most part) other symphonic string libraries you own? Interested to hear more of your thoughts on this and whether you find yourself still needing to pull on other string libraries to cover for any areas that may be lacking or not as well defined in Afflatus. Thanks again for doing a walk through of it.

@Cory Pelizzari Hi Cory, so now that you have Afflatus, what other ensemble string libraries do you still use? Have you found that it replaces (for the most part) other symphonic string libraries you own? Interested to hear more of your thoughts on this and whether you find yourself still needing to pull on other string libraries to cover for any areas that may be lacking or not as well defined in Afflatus. Thanks again for doing a walk through of it.
Adagio is pretty much obsolete for me now along with libraries like LASS and Symphony Series Strings, and Hollywood Strings, as those libraries are more of a pain to use/mix than is necessary.

Right now, my folder consists of these string libraries - Afflatus, Trailer Strings, Soaring Strings, Cinematic Studio Strings, Macabre, Con Moto (which is still yet to be completed), the legacy Spitfire Solo Strings, Chamber Strings, Vertigo Strings, the strings from Chamber Orchestra 2 and Hybrid Scoring Strings. So here's the deal:

The following libraries are there just for the sake of being there - Trailer Strings, Soaring Strings, and Spitfire Solo Strings. I really don't know what I'm going to do with them.

These libraries I keep for layering or experimental work - Vertigo Strings, Hybrid Scoring Strings and Chamber Orchestra 2. I always like to have something off the beaten path to make my sound unique.

These are my primaries for covering majority work - Cinematic Studio Strings (and solos), Afflatus, Macabre, and when it's completed, Con Moto for more classical sounding melodies. These libraries meet me half way and can be relied on for efficiency and sound.

Meanwhile, Chamber Strings (just the Jake Jackson mic mixes) sits behind the door, where I'm keeping it just incase I want sul pont legatos or alternate spiccatos. Plus I just can't bring myself to abandon it because I paid so much damn money for the thing and I try to use it wherever it fits so I can get my miles out of it... I find the dark sound dictates what kind of texture the track has, so in the past I've layered it with CSS to lighten it up. You can hear an example of this in the following track:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zhq15e79lx23ys4/The Princess' Medley.wav?dl=0

@Cory Pelizzari Just had a listen. Great demo, Cory. Thumbs up! Are there any other string libraries you want to get with the current string libraries out in the market or do you feel like you have all that you need in your current setup and with Afflatus? I dont have the spitfire stuff yet for strings and trying to learn more on Afflatus. But your insight and explanation have been helpful. Wondering for some suggestions for getting all the strings areas covered well (symphonic, chamber, and solos).

Cory I'm surprised you don't have Cornucopia Strings 2. It's one of my favorite string libraries from Strezov and has the vintage tone much like Afflatus does, and it has 2 new True Polyphonic Legato Ensembles high strings/low strings that play in octaves.

@Cory Pelizzari Just had a listen. Great demo, Cory. Thumbs up! Are there any other string libraries you want to get with the current string libraries out in the market or do you feel like you have all that you need in your current setup and with Afflatus? I dont have the spitfire stuff yet for strings and trying to learn more on Afflatus. But your insight and explanation have been helpful. Wondering for some suggestions for getting all the strings areas covered well (symphonic, chamber, and solos).
Afflatus, CSS & CSSS, Macabre and Con Moto pretty much covers everything for me with symphonic, chamber, solo and expressive stuff. I'm not really interested in any other string libraries that are currently out because they all essentially do the same thing but in different ways. For complex writing I simply use CSS & CSSS and perform each note live to get exactly what I want (using solo strings for detail in the 16th and 32nd notes works wonders), with a bit of marcato, sforzando and keyswitching to get in the finer details. For more sweeping stuff, Afflatus and friends does the job. Because I don't mockup classical notation, and because I rely more heavily on my own playing rather than programming and letting the library do the thinking, I'm not in need of more elaborate libraries like Dimension Strings or Berlin Strings for example. A string library will really have to pull of something unique (like Afflatus has) for me to really commit to anything else at this point.

Cory I'm surprised you don't have Cornucopia Strings 2. It's one of my favorite string libraries from Strezov and has the vintage tone much like Afflatus does, and it has 2 new True Polyphonic Legato Ensembles high strings/low strings that play in octaves.
I never made the leap because I always figured it was an "old" library with limited capabilities. I am more interested now though... Just need to locate some spare funds!

A little more time spent with this library and I'm enjoying the tone and vibe of it more and more.
It's really satisfying and inspiring to be able to switch between ensembles and instrument groups of different sizes. The relatively short list of patches (compared to the long list of articulations we're often accustomed to) belies just how wide a variety of expression is on offer.

It might not be a huge-GB library, or a library with extensive articulations to choose from, but it's very powerful and ultimately, a lot of fun.

On the downside - and these are very minor downsides - I would still love some portamento and the option for niente (I quite like controlling expression and volume with my mod wheel just to keep things quick and easy sometimes). Also, I have huge muscle memory for sustain = pedal. I keep pressing my right foot down only to discover that it's a divisi pedal now. It's a good idea, but I kind of want my sustain pedal too. Hmmm...perhaps two pedals?

A little more time spent with this library and I'm enjoying the tone and vibe of it more and more.
It's really satisfying and inspiring to be able to switch between ensembles and instrument groups of different sizes. The relatively short list of patches (compared to the long list of articulations we're often accustomed to) belies just how wide a variety of expression is on offer.

It might not be a huge-GB library, or a library with extensive articulations to choose from, but it's very powerful and ultimately, a lot of fun.

On the downside - and these are very minor downsides - I would still love some portamento and the option for niente (I quite like controlling expression and volume with my mod wheel just to keep things quick and easy sometimes). Also, I have huge muscle memory for sustain = pedal. I keep pressing my right foot down only to discover that it's a divisi pedal now. It's a good idea, but I kind of want my sustain pedal too. Hmmm...perhaps two pedals?
You could also link CC11 to CC1, or if you're lazy like me, turn down the mic positions and midi learn the volume slider to CC1, which is essentially the same thing.

writing a new track (will be a longer motif development exercise), built a new template 2 days ago and used some stuff from the Afflatus strings here. maybe for those who are still on the fence:

very nice. I can here the starchild in there as well. Definitely great to see a motif shared and developed this way. Look forward to the next revision.

Top Bottom