New from Strezov Sampling: Afflatus Chapter - Part one: Strings

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by beyd770, Oct 24, 2018.

1. AlexanderSchiborr

AlexanderSchiborr Senior Member

May 1, 2014
    writing a new track (will be a longer motif development exercise), built a new template 2 days ago and used some stuff from the Afflatus strings here. maybe for those who are still on the fence:

2. TheSigillite

TheSigillite Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southern California
    very nice. I can here the starchild in there as well. Definitely great to see a motif shared and developed this way. Look forward to the next revision.

3. MaxOctane

MaxOctane Senior Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Sounds great. Any chance of posting the isolated strings?

4. cadenzajon

cadenzajon Senior Member

Feb 20, 2016
    You had been reluctant earlier in this thread to jump for Afflatus due to the lack of fast legatos, but it sounds like you've decided to go for it after all. Now that you've had it under your fingers, are you finding that this is a significant shortcoming? And is this a feature that @Strezov has mentioned as being in a future update? (It was hinted at by someone but I couldn't find the initial reference.)

This is the sole issue that's holding me back, I am really looking for a string lib that can yield realistic runs & quick fingered string gestures. In every other respect, Afflatus seems to be leading the pack.

5. Lex

Lex Senior Member

Nov 26, 2004
    Good evening everyone. :)

Finally found some time to play around with Afflatus, and made a little thing.

https://bit.ly/2L0rDGd

alex

Wolf68, Niah2, Henning and 2 others like this.
  6. ScoreFace

ScoreFace Senior Member

Nov 21, 2018
    I took some first steps with Afflatus and I have a very good first impression. The strings sound really great and very realistic in orchestral context as well as in Trailer tracks.

The special Ensembles enrich my sound palette and are fun to play with. Even the Pharao Strings sound good in a full arrangement, even if I don‘t like the naked sound. It seems better to use it in lower ranges.

The polyphonic legato works well for me and I guess the leg strings will replace Berlin Strings in my setup.

Much money, but I think it is worth the price! At least the sale price;)

stprodigy, Horacio and Mike Fox like this.
  7. Daniel

Daniel Senior Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Indonesia
    I like both tracks. May I know, did you using just ensemble patch (I mean using chord) or separate tracks (V1, VA, CL, DB)?

8. AlexanderSchiborr

AlexanderSchiborr Senior Member

May 1, 2014
    Sure, I used here:
    Violins 1 and 2 and the Violas fo the sordino d´maour strings, and the lush strings for the Violoncellos and Doublebass.

9. Daniel

Daniel Senior Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Indonesia
    Thank you, Alexander.

10. Henning

Henning Active Member

May 22, 2006
    Potsdam
    This is really beautiful! Love the dynamics. It's really hard to hear that these are samples.

Lex and Goldie Zwecker like this.
  11. Lex

Lex Senior Member

Nov 26, 2004
    Daniel, I have used the following:

1. Minimalist Strings Legato

2. Chamber Violins II

3. Lush Basses

4. Minimalist Violins II legato

5. Chamber Violins I

6. Vintage Violins 1 & 2

I have used all 3 mics flat, no additional EQ, and I have switched off the reverb in Afflatus and ran all the strings through one instance of Phoenixverb.

alex

12. Daniel

Daniel Senior Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Indonesia
    Very nice, thank you, Alex.

13. Welldone

Welldone Senior Member

Jan 5, 2017
    Thanks for the explanation, Cory. Yesterday I informed the Strezov-team about this and this morning I got a reply that they will look into it and will try to offer a fix with the first update wave. Kudos to this attitude. It confirms my good impression about this developer who seems to really care.

Jonas Hallstrom likes this.
  14. ERIC VALETTE

ERIC VALETTE New Member

Jan 24, 2018
    I Just finished for fun a cover of "Across The Stars" (original by John Williams, for Star Wars franchise). Strings are 100 % Afflatus Strings and they sounds just great "out of the box" (no EQ added here, just reverb and three mics positions on).

Thanks for Strezov Sampling for this great library, there is really magic in these samples!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018 at 3:46 AM
  15. Mike Fox

Mike Fox Senior Member

Jul 8, 2016
    Damn those strings sound good!

Now i gotta ask. Which patches did you use?

16. ERIC VALETTE

ERIC VALETTE New Member

Jan 24, 2018
    Hi Mike,

Sure, I used :
    - "Minimalists legato" patches (sections) between 00:00 and 00:55 (with divisi mode, when required),
    - "Lush strings legato" patches (sections) between 00:56 and 02:32 and between 03:15 and the end (with divisi mode, when required),
    - "Red Army Strings" ensemble patche (marcatos) layered with "Heroïne Strings" ensemble patche (staccatos) between 02:33 and 03:14... plus some pizz (cellos and basses, sections) and tremolos (Lush strings, sections) here and then... and thats all! ;)

Mike Fox and Sibelius19 like this.