What's new

New from Strezov Sampling: Afflatus Chapter - Part one: Strings

Tone - CS has a bold classical/cinematic sound whereas Afflatus has an opulent retro cinematic sound.

Playability - CS takes a lot of practice, whereas Afflatus is user friendly and has time saving polyphonic legato and divisi switching.

Realism - both sound real in their own way, CS sounding more traditional and Afflatus sounding more like a 70's scoring session.

Expressiveness - both libraries are very expressive, with CS having a strong molto vibrato and Afflatus having different styles of progressive vibrato.

Dynamics-wise, Afflatus is designed so that the pp dynamics have plenty of volume, plus the sordino and flautando really puts the spotlight on soft passages. CS is more classical in that regard, where the pp dynamics are quiet and understated.

Basically, CS is for hardcore composers and arrangers looking for a disciplined yet expressive scoring stage sound. Afflatus is for all out expression, variety and a much warmer sound.
Thank you Cory. That’s a very clear and succinct explanation that confirms much of what I suspected.

The tone of Afflatus is what’s got me drooling more than anything. It sounds more lush than CSS but without smearing or sounding synthy like some libraries (even some of the best ones) do. Would you say that’s a fair assessment?

The realism and expression that CSS offers is very attractive and I think it’s an extraordinary overall accomplishment, but ‘oh that Afflatus tone and space’. If I can get that tone without sacrificing realism then I think I’m in.

(BTW I haven’t used either library yet, but that will change this week).

Thank you Cory. That’s a very clear and succinct explanation that confirms much of what I suspected.

The tone of Afflatus is what’s got me drooling more than anything. It sounds more lush than CSS but without smearing or sounding synthy like some libraries (even some of the best ones) do. Would you say that’s a fair assessment?

The realism and expression that CSS offers is very attractive and I think it’s an extraordinary overall accomplishment, but ‘oh that Afflatus tone and space’. If I can get that tone without sacrificing realism then I think I’m in.

Afflatus has realism indeed, and it's a more "imperfect" or "live" realism than CS's disciplined sound. Afflatus just kind of breathes and sings.

I have both. I'll also add that Afflatus is far more versatile!

Afflatus has realism indeed, and it's a more "imperfect" or "live" realism than CS's disciplined sound. Afflatus just kind of breathes and sings.

CSS never did it for me - i didn't jump on that bandwagon.

I was leaning toward Ark 2 to fill in the gap between my Ark 1 & 3.

From this thread and all the great video demos and walk-throughs, Afflatus may win out.

A 3 day trek into the Olympic National Park should shaman a decision.

CSS never did it for me - i didn't jump on that bandwagon.

I was leaning toward Ark 2 to fill in the gap between my Ark 1 & 3.

From this thread and all the great video demos and walk-throughs, Afflatus may win out.

A 3 day trek into the Olympic National Park should shaman a decision.
I could never get into CSS either. CS2, on the other hand, will always be may go-to for lush, big sounding strings.

That does not present MA2 in a very good light. Did you copy+paste the same midi from Afflatus to Weddigen? Sounds like it. I played the same melody and got much cleaner results. Your CC1 is the culprit, the Weddigen strings work better with smoother lines. Yours is jumping all over the place.

This test showcases how playable Afflatus is compared to other libraries that require more finesse out of the box :)
yes of course, both examples are out of the box with my minimal effort (almost 0). When you compose almost every day, you are tired constantly editing samples. If I really wanted to shine Ark2 it is of course possible, but with harder editing even when rendering wave files. And this cost a time that is more and more rare to me.
This illustration shows playability without DJ cc1. Ark2 is of course still valuable library.
I bought it for a full price and I do not regret it. Still is on my TOP 5 libs.
Scene d'Amour patch is unique because sounds almost chamber, with lot of lyrical character (like you read the story), but have not molto vib. Sound have definition and still breathing..almost like entire life.

yes of course, both examples are out of the box with my minimal effort (almost 0). When you compose almost every day, you are tired constantly editing samples. If I really wanted to shine Ark2 it is of course possible, but with harder editing even when rendering wave files. And this cost a time that is more and more rare to me.
This illustration shows playability without DJ cc1. Ark2 is of course still valuable library.
I bought it for a full price and I do not regret it. Still is on my TOP 5 libs.
Scene d'Amour patch is unique because sounds almost chamber, with lot of lyrical character (like you read the story), but have not molto vib. Sound have definition and still breathing..almost like entire life.

I got it chief! Just pointing out that those bumps in dynamics are not representative of the Weddigen strings out of the box. It takes almost no effort to ride the modwheel in a manner that will give you great results with Ark2 strings. Just a matter of getting used to it, they are different instruments after all :)

Yes, before the big update we'll introduce some new features and requests, among which is CC#11 for shorts. Hopefully very soon.

This and the con sordino emulation on other patches makes the library substantially more inviting for me. Thank you for considering and implementing these features.

This and the con sordino emulation on other patches makes the library substantially more inviting for me. Thank you for considering and implementing these features.

Exactly. I think all the updates and Strezov listening to customer feedback is great.

The only 2 things I wish it had are Slurred legato and a vibrato control.

+1 Super trailer, really. But what is it ? An orchestra ? Phrase based library? One library ? 4 libraries ?? One section release per month , per year??? Thanks.
But beautiful trailer, sounds , pictures and Mister Strezov, the sampling King !!!
Are all the instruments in the soundtrack from this library-ies ???
They sound.......stunning and fabulous ...
This is music making of the highest order. Though a wee bit derivative musically...well, what isn't(?).. the performances and recording is beyond 1st class...IMO. I envy those who will have the opportunity to utilize what is offered here...and in the future. I'm just a lowly Songwriter/Producer. Have at it, Composers!!!

When I first saw the price of Afflatus, I thought that I could never justify the purchase. I now took the plunge and I‘m very happy I did!

I already own Spitfire Chamber Strings, Tundra and Soaring Strings. These libraries are great and will complement Afflatus well. But I have to say that Afflatus beats all the other string libraries I have used hands down concering musicality and playability. Playing it feels like actually working with a string ensemble and not like playing string sounds from a keyboard. I quickly came up with musical ideas I didn‘t have with other string libraries. When you play to the strenghts of Afflatus, it really shines!

My decision to buy Afflatus was also influenced by the communication of George and his team, especially on this forum. I feel reassured when a developer has such an open ear for his costumers. What a class act.

Top Bottom