What's new

New from Strezov Sampling: Afflatus Chapter - Part one: Strings

sostenuto

Big NKS Fan !
Only matters to each potential purchaser. No way this Library is close to my consideration at this price, with this little broad exposure. If it proves to be in a class with other top offerings, in this cost range, then it deserves success.
I applaud and respect early-adopters, especially at this price point. Will be watching attentively from now until early 2019.

LamaRose

Gato Mighty!
I'd love for things to be cheaper, but these things cost A LOT to develop.
All the more reason developers should be more mindful of marketing/price to ensure that they recoup their initial invested production costs. As others have stated, this is a great sounding library, but I would hate to own stock in it at this point.

re-peat

I would reorganize, rename and reprogram quite a few things in Afflatus, but if this isn’t a truly remarkable treasure chest of very useful stringsounds, covering a really broad expressive range, I don’t know what is.

While familiarizing yourself with what you’ve just purchased, you soon realize that the words ‘Afflatus’ and ‘expensive’ should *never* be used in the same sentence, unless you throw the word ‘not’ in there as well. This library, in other words, is very friendly priced. Somewhat regrettably for the developer perhaps, that’s an insight that only comes to those who have bought it.

But like I said: in my opinion, it could do with a few changes — some on the surface, some under the hood — and its already considerable value would increase much further still, I firmly believe, if the developer would give the user at least some options to tweak the contents as well as offer some control over how the samples respond to midi-input. All my misgivings regarding Afflatus have to do with that aspect of the library. Beyond that, I’m entirely satisfied with it.

_

erica-grace

I would reorganize, rename and reprogram quite a few things in Afflatus, but if this isn’t a truly remarkable treasure chest of very useful stringsounds, covering a really broad expressive range, I don’t know what is.

While familiarizing yourself with what you’ve just purchased, you soon realize that the words ‘Afflatus’ and ‘expensive’ should *never* be used in the same sentence, unless you throw the word ‘not’ in there as well. This library, in other words, is very friendly priced. Somewhat regrettably for the developer perhaps, that’s an insight that only comes to those who have bought it.

But like I said: in my opinion, it could do with a few changes — some on the surface, some under the hood — and its already considerable value would increase much further still, I firmly believe, if the developer would give the user at least some options to tweak the contents as well as offer some control over how the samples respond to midi-input. All my misgivings regarding Afflatus have to do with that aspect of the library. Beyond that, I’m entirely satisfied with it.
Seems like you should be a SS beta tester! :thumbsup:

Atarion Music

Sinematic Reclipse
Hmm, been watching this thread in between work and all. I missed when the price came out but in-between my procrastination, I've read every single comment up till now.

Here's my input. With black Friday and Cyber Monday right around the corner I have to say, this was awkward timing to release such a library. 2 weeks earlier and I'd be 16 grand richer and my as well as other's impulses would have taken hold. But who's to say it hasn't already am I right? I mean, Although VI-control may be one of the biggest, it isn't the only place where businesses, composers and bedroom producers gather for their VI news. With that being said, I wonder if it would be possible to take Chapter:1 Afflatus and BIU? (Break it up)

Have a core ensemble library with all the ensemble Nki's, disperse the Violins, Viola, Cellos and bass into sectional Libs. Of course the pricing would have to rise, by how much? I don't know, only Strezov-Sampling would know how much additional fees would be needed/wanted for the creation of the individual sections. But here's two reasons right off the top of my head,

1. The extra work needed to BIU in the first place.

2. To award the individuals who bought it now, as-well as those who will buy it outright at €799 in the future. It assures that those who purchase the entire collection at once will always receive the better deal.

I don't know the structure of how Afflatus was made so I'm not even sure this would be possible but it's PROBABLY unlikely, but it's definitely an approach I'd consider moving forward tho.

Will there be brass, winds and percussion?

SR.AM

Strezov

Sorry for the quick reply, a bit hectic these days. We haven't though of breaking the library modularly, not sure how that could be arranged with Native Instruments. As you know we have to pay a sum for serial numbers. It is safe to say that we probably won't do it for the time being.

Our idea to reward early-grabbers would be with the extra content. We are throwing in ideas right now and it will most likely be more than scene d'amour celli and first chairs. Even thinking of doing a public poll - we are still going through emails with suggestions, etc - our support guy is replying to emails and adding libraries for xgrade for 14-hour workdays. He's stacked on beer though so don't worry :) So we will definitely give out more information in the following days.

As with the other chapters, I believe I've written it here somewhere, the idea for other chapters would be woodwinds/saxes, brass, keys and mallets, choirs (we have great ideas for that too based on Sulyllabuilder and divisi), plucked strings.

Percussion... we would give out some info about that soon too.

DarkestShadow

_
Well, most people don't seem to be saying that it's not worth the price, but rather simply that the price is high.
That's a different statement.
I think everyone who disagrees that 700 - 900$$ is a lot of money simply has too much of it! :D

Even though a lot of content and possibilities are included that could justify the price, it would still be on the higher end if I would make a price chart with all big string libraries on it.
So, I don't really understand people who speak about a VERY friendly pricing... It's definitely expensive - a lot money (that many will not have to spare any time soon), whether the content makes up for it or not.
Ecologically produced and high quality food is also expensive. A claim that doesn't mean the price isn't justified. Two different things.

You also have to consider that everyone was expecting the library to be priced similarly to other Strezov products, based on their comments. So, not so much higher.
If the actual price is twice what you expected that doesn't help. If everyone would've been prepared for a rather high price you probably wouldn't have all these comments upon release saying "wow, really? I'm out..." and so on...

Atarion Music

Sinematic Reclipse
Sorry for the quick reply, a bit hectic these days. We haven't though of breaking the library modularly, not sure how that could be arranged with Native Instruments. As you know we have to pay a sum for serial numbers. It is safe to say that we probably won't do it for the time being.

Our idea to reward early-grabbers would be with the extra content. We are throwing in ideas right now and it will most likely be more than scene d'amour celli and first chairs. Even thinking of doing a public poll - we are still going through emails with suggestions, etc - our support guy is replying to emails and adding libraries for xgrade for 14-hour workdays. He's stacked on beer though so don't worry :) So we will definitely give out more information in the following days.

As with the other chapters, I believe I've written it here somewhere, the idea for other chapters would be woodwinds/saxes, brass, keys and mallets, choirs (we have great ideas for that too based on Sulyllabuilder and divisi), plucked strings.

Percussion... we would give out some info about that soon too.

(Sorry for the quick reply, a bit hectic these days. We haven't though of breaking the library modularly, not sure how that could be arranged with Native Instruments. As you know we have to pay a sum for serial numbers. It is safe to say that we probably won't do it for the time being.)

LOL I looked over to my partner and we both laughed out-loud, I can't believe that I forgot to add the expenses of the great beast NI. But the quick response is great, especially for me. I kinda figured there was something I didn't take into account, just couldn't put my finger on it. Either way, I already have plans to pick Afflatus up. It's a library unlike any in my current arsenal. As for you other guys/gals, no one reading can say I didn't try for you. :)

(As with the other chapters, I believe I've written it here somewhere, the idea for other chapters would be woodwinds/saxes, brass, keys and mallets, choirs (we have great ideas for that too based on Sulyllabuilder and divisi), plucked strings.)

Yes, I do remember seeing something like that now that you mentioned it. I think I came across it a couple days ago. I'm looking forward to that choir, just yesterday I purchased one from a company that I'd rather not name here....But I will say, i'm still looking. A builder and divisi would be half of what I'm needing at the moment.

And as for percussion, I'm looking for something detailed and huge sounding like your Taikos X3M's but with a wide variety of instruments and all with that Strezov vibe attached. I'll be awaiting that fateful day you guys announce that one lol.

fiestared

Vintage -but- not obsolete
Well, most people don't seem to be saying that it's not worth the price, but rather simply that the price is high.
That's a different statement.
I think everyone who disagrees that 700 - 900$$ is a lot of money simply has too much of it! :D

Even though a lot of content and possibilities are included that could justify the price, it would still be on the higher end if I would make a price chart with all big string libraries on it.
So, I don't really understand people who speak about a VERY friendly pricing... It's definitely expensive - a lot money (that many will not have to spare any time soon), whether the content makes up for it or not.
Ecologically produced and high quality food is also expensive. A claim that doesn't mean the price isn't justified. Two different things.

You also have to consider that everyone was expecting the library to be priced similarly to other Strezov products, based on their comments. So, not so much higher.
If the actual price is twice what you expected that doesn't help. If everyone would've been prepared for a rather high price you probably wouldn't have all these comments upon release saying "wow, really? I'm out..." and so on...
Exactly my words ! This library seems to be "a new step ahead " for sampling, we all want it, I've said my brick wall is $399, but not for a lib this innovative, we're in a different category, so my prob is very simple, I love the lib, George is a very talented guy, but I have not the $ for it right now...:crying:

procreative

Back to the actual library, I had another listen to the walkthroughs. Maybe its just my ears, but the Divisi sounds drier, like its using close Mics only compared to the full section.

Is it just me, or have they employed the same technique Hollywood Strings did to get Divisi?

Regarding the rest of the material, I personally dont think the price is not worth it. Its more a question of whether the cost can be justified based on what your needs are and what else you already have that crosses over.

Usability is my main concern if you wish to switch styles within a piece as there are so many separate patches with quite esoteric names that it starts to feel like a compilation album of a variety of libraries.

Goldie Zwecker

I totally get that it fills the gap where other libraries lack. Question is how well it will blend with other libraries. Let's say i'm using spitfire symphonic and chamber strings - and then use Afflatus for a certain task, passage or whatever. I think people will instantly notice it had a different timbre, different amount of recorded players, in a different space etc. Wouldn't it sound strange?

Mike Fox

I totally get that it fills the gap where other libraries lack. Question is how well it will blend with other libraries. Let's say i'm using spitfire symphonic and chamber strings - and then use Afflatus for a certain task, passage or whatever. I think people will instantly notice it had a different timbre, different amount of recorded players, in a different space etc. Wouldn't it sound strange?
Nature of the beast. Every library I buy usually requires some blending work, and some are more difficult than others. The dryer the library, and the more mic positions available the easier it is to blend. Afflatus is fortunately on the dryer side, and includes multiple mic positions, so I actually think it would be pretty easy to blend, imho.

Last edited:

modiel

Since I had Afflatus for a while, testing it since the pre-alpha pacthes, I had the opportunity to use it in a bunch of soundtracks with several other string libraries. For me it usually blends well. It can be a bit agressive out of the box compared to some other string libraries, but depending of the libraries you want it to blend with, you just need to lower some decibels on the close mic (to have a less agressive sound) and add a reverb (one for all the afflatus patches is enough) and everything works well after that

JonSolo

Not Han's Brother
Just an additional personal perspective-

My budget is a bit limited for the rest of the year. While this impacts my ability to purchase this library now, it is by NO MEANS a reflection of how I feel about this library, its pricing, or Strezov libraries in general.

Every purchase I have made from Strezov EXCEEDED my expections! Their approach to sampling is unique, and their engines are enjoyable, and typically, a breeze to use. Balkan was a complete side-swiped victory. I have used it countless times with sounds that I cannot find elsewhere. Rhodope 2 was the perfect "alternative" choir I needed on two projects, and it sat perfectly in the mix, as well as being intuitive.

I expect one day in the near future I will be able to get Afflatus, and while it will hit my pocketbook (Inflatus? heh) it will bring so much more to my productions and creativity, as well as help my workflow as Strezov products have done in the past.

Meanwhile, I am hoping for some BF deals on some of their other libraries. Either way, this is one company that does have me hooked.

Consona

Exactly my words ! This library seems to be "a new step ahead " for sampling, we all want it, I've said my brick wall is $399, but not for a lib this innovative, we're in a different category, so my prob is very simple, I love the lib, George is a very talented guy, but I have not the $ for it right now...:crying:
There's one thing 8dio's Adagio has tought me. When somebody comes with something "new and not sampled before" and whatever, there's no need to rush to buy it since in a year there will be similar and better options for the same thing anyway, and fairly often it will be way cheaper. And if not, nothing's stopping you from buying the original ground-breaking library later.

fiestared

Vintage -but- not obsolete
There's one thing 8dio's Adagio has tought me. When somebody comes with something "new and not sampled before" and whatever, there's no need to rush to buy it since in a year there will be similar and better options for the same thing anyway, and fairly often it will be way cheaper. And if not, nothing's stopping you from buying the original ground-breaking library later.
You're right, I totally agree with you, thanks to remind me this law of the technology... I remember when I had my first synth a Mini Moog that I bought an arm and a leg, later there was lots of options for at least half price... so, wait and see.

modiel

Mmmm... Strezov Sampling has the polyphonic legato on their libraries for more than 2 years (Freyja, Arva, Wotan), and I didn't see any competitor who made this after all this time. Since now it's with the auto divisi added, I guess you'll wait for a long time before a competitor do the same. Considering the amount of recording it takes to do that ( so a looot of recording sessions and tests), I would be surprised if it costs less than Afflatus

Nicola74

How is the dynamic range, expecially in legato patches? The old, but gold, VSL Orchestral Strings has only 2 dynamic layer, but I am happy about the range, from pp to ff, with only a minimum of expression used...

Consona

Mmmm... Strezov Sampling has the polyphonic legato on their libraries for more than 2 years (Freyja, Arva, Wotan), and I didn't see any competitor who made this after all this time.
Spitfire? CineSamples? Just from the top of my head. But I don't use poly legatos anyway, so...

Since now it's with the auto divisi added, I guess you'll wait for a long time before a competitor do the same.
Honestly, another absolutely useless feature as far as I'm concerned.

Considering the amount of recording it takes to do that ( so a looot of recording sessions and tests), I would be surprised if it costs less than Afflatus
I believe that but at this point that brings nothing needful to my table. What it can do is inspire other developers to make similar libraries with features I'd consider worth paying for.

If things Afflatus offers appeal to you then great, have fun with it. :thumbsup: What made me interested were those various short articulations, which are rather small part of such an expensive and niche (I really don't need strings combined with ethnic instruments and such) library, so...

And if there isn't any similar library for people that want the stuff Afflatus offers, then like I've said, they can buy it any time, no problem.

artomatic

I Compose With My Ears

Indeed. But in the end, it's all about the sound for me.

Top Bottom