What's new

New from Output, Steven Slate, Sonuscore's The Orchestra, and IK Multimedia

OK.......but where is the........walkthrough ?????????
There's the MIDI export video above. I expect there are a few more coming.
But in truth, aside from the MIDI export, I don't think there's much about The Orchestra Complete that isn't pretty intuitive to use if you have The Orchestra. Same thing, just more instruments, presets, and stuff available to use in the engine. But they did say there are changes to the interface so we will learn about that. I'm going to get it within the next few days, so I'll post about it if nobody else does.

Are Sonuscore's upgrade offers usually permanent or temporary? Their website doesn't say anything (that I could find) about a time limit to upgrade to Orchestra Complete. Thanks in advance!
I think it's permanent. Sonuscore and Best Service would make it clear if it wasn't. But as I said, I think you can get the upgrade for 40% off if you wait until Black Friday.

But in truth, aside from the MIDI export, I don't think there's much about The Orchestra Complete that isn't pretty intuitive to use if you have The Orchestra.
Plus you can still get MIDI out of standard The Orchestra by enabling send script-generated notes/CCs to the outside world in Kontakt and recording the sequence in your DAW.

I got it. I am very happy with it and think it's well worth the money.
The new orchestral colors create some exciting new opportunities for the presets. Consider this one:

Treasure in the Swampland.jpg
Having things like Violin and Cello Harmonics allows for some much more subtle and less boomy orchestral presets than were previously found in The Orchestra.
From the opposite angle, the Col Legno instruments add something very different to the presets.

Aside from all the new strings and the beautiful Morin Khuur, the big difference is the addition of two percussion instruments to the arp engine.
Here's the old version:
TO- Perc.jpg
Here's the new one:
TOC- Perc.jpg

So you now can add Timpani and Tubular Bells to your presets. Timpani in particular adds a lot to some presets.

Last edited:
Oh ... early adopters only have pain.
Really complete?
Will you see the Brass and Woodwinds extensions again?

It would be very nice if expansion enabled a delicate texture like Spitfire.
The possibilities will spread, with soft sounds like the origin series, orchestral FX,
and noise.

IK has transferred the modeling technology of its Modo Bass to drums.

Introductory Pre-Order Price is $299.99, after which it will go to $399.99

More info HERE

Last edited:
It's unusual that IK have chosen to model bass and drums but sample synths
Maybe they are trying to do things that other developers aren't doing and create their own product niches?

For recreations of vintage synths, UVI and the new Omnisphere also start with samples. Not bad company for Syntronik.

I think this will be drums and/or percussion. The main graphic looks to me like a snare drum from above. The music is drum beats and piano. And they use the language "hits soon."

What would be different from the many drum products they already offer? What would have taken 11 years to develop? Modeled drums. This could be the drum version of Modo Bass. Many different kinds of drums, from tiny to Taiko, customizable by the user. Any shape, size, materials, or beater. Drums that aren't possible in real life. Your choice of rooms, microphones, effects.....

If I'm right, this could be the one thing on this list that lives up to its hype. I'm really looking forward to finding out what's in The Orchestra upgrade, but I'm even more interested in finding out if I'm right about this.
Good prediction!

Best,

Geoff

Ok, I've been sorta putting off ever getting The Orchestra because I felt it was redundant for me despite how useful many of the features seem... but the morin khuur ensemble... THAT I need to hear in action.

Another thing I like is they improved the font and readability of the GUI
The type for The Orchestra is a dull yellow. The one in The Orchestra Complete is a bright yellow, The background for the original is looks like the polished veneer of a violin; the Orchestra Complete is just a dark color. So overall the contrast is higher and the legibility is better. But I don't think they changed the font or its weight or size. There's still room for improvement, but it's nice to know that they are listening to their customers and are trying.

They also made the GUI for The Orchestra Complete smaller than The Orchestra for some reason.

Ok, I've been sorta putting off ever getting The Orchestra because I felt it was redundant for me despite how useful many of the features seem... but the morin khuur ensemble... THAT I need to hear in action.
I thought it was kind of a joke when I read about it. Seemed kind of arbitrary. But it's actually quite beautiful and makes The Orchestra unique.

Modo Drums looks really interesting but sadly the cymbals are sampled and "only" the drums are modeled. I wondered about the 20 GB but now it is clear.
I think it is not for me right now because i have enough good drums and percussions but physical modeling (and like here maybe combined with good sampling) is the future. No more 100´s or even 1000+ GB of samples.
However, from all the game changers and announcements etc. i find The Orchestra update the most interesting and i guess i will buy this....maybe together with Komplete 12 update within the sale and then i hope i do not NEED anything more for the next half year or so.

I thought it was kind of a joke when I read about it. Seemed kind of arbitrary. But it's actually quite beautiful and makes The Orchestra unique.

Especially this kind of timbres are interesting for me. I really love the demos for the new strings and how raw and interesting they can sound with such a small footprint.
I also really want to use the midi out for my solo strings and see how that sounds.

Just give us an articulation walkthrough. How do you want us to buy a product just based on a trailer ?????
I miss great and long detailed walkthroughs. Less and less on youtube....

The type for The Orchestra is a dull yellow. The one in The Orchestra Complete is a bright yellow, The background for the original is looks like the polished veneer of a violin; the Orchestra Complete is just a dark color. So overall the contrast is higher and the legibility is better. But I don't think they changed the font or its weight or size. There's still room for improvement, but it's nice to know that they are listening to their customers and are trying.

They also made the GUI for The Orchestra Complete smaller than The Orchestra for some reason.

Font is definitely bigger for me and slightly different at least. See screenshot - the g in Arpeggiator is different. Either way, it's certainly more readable, which is great as I struggled a little with the old version. Screenshot 2019-06-20 at 19.59.33.png

Happily upgraded from TO to TO Complete. The new additions are great, but one very minor disappointment is that the UI is all the basic brown/gold theme. I was looking forward to seeing some of the new ice blue Winter themes. But I guess only the standalone expansion has that? Unless I'm missing something...

Top Bottom