What's new

New Forum Layout Is Live! Things to know

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just noticed that using the What's New button in the navbar at the bottom does not include the filter, just like you described. But accessing What's New from the drop-down "hamburger" menu from the top left DOES include the filter.
Does this seem consistent with what you are experiencing?
i think so. I think I was confused because the drop down on the side has both what's new and latest posts, and I got confused with that what's new with the one on the bottom and indeed the one at the top with the page icon.

I just noticed that using the What's New button in the navbar at the bottom does not include the filter, just like you described. But accessing What's New from the drop-down "hamburger" menu from the top left DOES include the filter.
Does this seem consistent with what you are experiencing?

@Jdiggity1 - Do you think this specific link could be renamed to stand out on its own, to remove confusion?

1) I clicked "Reply" on the post I'd like to quote on page, let's say for example, 20;
2) I wanted to quote another post on page 21 and so after step 1 I went to page 21 and clicked "Reply" under that second post;
3) By doing this I lost the quote of the post on page 20, then I went to page 20 again, quoted the post and copied it, I went to page 21, pasted the quote and quoted the second post.
That is happening because you are navigating away from the page before a draft is saved. The current interval for saving a draft is 60 seconds, or you can manually save a draft using the Floppy Disk icon. Once a draft is saved, you can navigate to another page and add a new quote.
EDIT: Draft-saving interval has now been changed to 10 seconds.
As noted, there's a "SAVE DRAFT" option you can use, so it's been set to happen automatically now after 10 seconds

This is good to know as this was stumping me as well. It's not a big deal just an added step, either have to hit the "save draft" button or wait 10 seconds before you navigate to another page. For whatever reason the old forum used to do this instantaneously, you could jump around pages as fast as you wanted collecting quotes. You could even start typing something on mobile and then shut your phone off and get on a desktop and your draft would still be there. I don't know if there's any reason for or against setting the "save draft" option to 1 second as that's what it seems like the old forum did. But like I said not a big deal just have to remember to hit "save draft" now.

This is good to know as this was stumping me as well. It's not a big deal just an added step, either have to hit the "save draft" button or wait 10 seconds before you navigate to another page. For whatever reason the old forum used to do this instantaneously, you could jump around pages as fast as you wanted collecting quotes. You could even start typing something on mobile and then shut your phone off and get on a desktop and your draft would still be there. I don't know if there's any reason for or against setting the "save draft" option to 1 second as that's what it seems like the old forum did. But like I said not a big deal just have to remember to hit "save draft" now.

You seem to have mastered the multi-quote... :)

...I don't know if there's any reason for or against setting the "save draft" option to 1 second as that's what it seems like the old forum did. But like I said not a big deal just have to remember to hit "save draft" now.
Ok ok. Good idea.
But to prove I didn't do it just coz you told me to, I set the auto-save to TWO seconds.

Apologies, I haven't read the thread to see if anyone else has reported this issue... But the main way I interact with the forum is via the "Latest Posts" list on the front page - it's a super handy way of browsing what the latest topics of discussion are. However, this is currently broken and is no longer being updated.

I appreciate that I can change my bookmark to https://vi-control.net/community/whats-new/posts/ but the front page also clearly needs fixed up :)

Apologies, I haven't read the thread to see if anyone else has reported this issue... But the main way I interact with the forum is via the "Latest Posts" list on the front page - it's a super handy way of browsing what the latest topics of discussion are. However, this is currently broken and is no longer being updated
It's working for me. Have you got the filter set to "unread"? The filter option is on the right near the top under "mark forums read". Hope this helps!

Apologies, I haven't read the thread to see if anyone else has reported this issue... But the main way I interact with the forum is via the "Latest Posts" list on the front page - it's a super handy way of browsing what the latest topics of discussion are. However, this is currently broken and is no longer being updated.

I appreciate that I can change my bookmark to https://vi-control.net/community/whats-new/posts/ but the front page also clearly needs fixed up :)
It's working for me. Have you got the filter set to "unread"? The filter option is on the right near the top under "mark forums read". Hope this helps!
Kenneth is referring to the "Portal" page (you get there by clicking the home icon).
That "Latest Posts" feed seems to have stopped synchronizing ~21 hours ago. We'll look into it, thanks

Hi Kenneth, can you try it now?

That is happening because you are navigating away from the page before a draft is saved. The current interval for saving a draft is 60 seconds, or you can manually save a draft using the Floppy Disk icon. Once a draft is saved, you can navigate to another page and add a new quote.

EDIT: Draft-saving interval has now been changed to 10 seconds.
Thanks for explaining. Yes, see this: https://vi-control.net/community/threads/new-forum-layout-is-live-things-to-know.83813/post-4414801

As noted, there's a "SAVE DRAFT" option you can use, so it's been set to happen automatically now after 10 seconds. :)

Thanks @Jdiggity1 !!

Andre

Thank you for clarifying, I didn't think about it. I was used to instant saving in the previous version. Now it works. :)

Thankfully, there is a way to turn off dark mode, in the upper right corner.

Some of us have visual impairment and need high-contrast to read things without getting super-stressed within a half second of viewing. While it's true that the initial look was overly-bright, I can handle that better any day than what happens to my eyes when there's an ultra-dark theme in place. It throws me back to the early 80's, before we were finally able to start implementing black-on-white for greater clarity on the old white-on-black-only "dumb terminals" that came before desktop computers were around yet.

At any rate, having found the on/off switch for dark-vs.-light mode, I am pretty sure the new "light mode" is also superior to the initial look of the new layout, but I don't have screenshots to prove it. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom