New Forum Layout Is Live! Things to know

Mark Schmieder

Thankfully, there is a way to turn off dark mode, in the upper right corner.

Some of us have visual impairment and need high-contrast to read things without getting super-stressed within a half second of viewing. While it's true that the initial look was overly-bright, I can handle that better any day than what happens to my eyes when there's an ultra-dark theme in place. It throws me back to the early 80's, before we were finally able to start implementing black-on-white for greater clarity on the old white-on-black-only "dumb terminals" that came before desktop computers were around yet.

At any rate, having found the on/off switch for dark-vs.-light mode, I am pretty sure the new "light mode" is also superior to the initial look of the new layout, but I don't have screenshots to prove it. :)

Last edited:

creativeforge

Barefoot Heart Music
Thankfully, there is a way to turn off dark mode, in the upper right corner.

Some of us who have visual impairment and need high-contrast to read things without getting super-stressed within a half second of viewing. While it's true that the initial look was overly-bright, I can handle that better any day than what happens to my eyes when there's an ultra-dark theme in place. It throws me back to the early 80's, before we were finally able to start implementing black-on-white for greater clarity on the old white-on-black-only "dumb terminals" that came before desktop computers were around yet.

At any rate, having found the on/off switch for dark-vs.-light mode, I am pretty sure the new "light mode" is also superior to the initial look of the new layout, but I don't have screenshots to prove it. :)
I certainly cannot fully understand your reality, thanks for letting us know. If you notice something else that could be useful for our members that are visually impaired.

Regards,

Andre

storyteller

Been loving the dark theme too, but the new ffaded backgrounds looks like a pair of blue jeans on my screen. All are very artifacted. 5k iMac. Just a heads up.

creativeforge

Barefoot Heart Music
Been loving the dark theme too, but the new ffaded backgrounds looks like a pair of blue jeans on my screen. All are very artifacted. 5k iMac. Just a heads up.
You can pick a different one by clicking the little "switch" beside your account avatar on the top of the page. Look between the bell and the light bulb.

1e56d69ee90593bdce0e4200050b57ef.png

jbuhler

Is it just me or has the navigation bar at the bottom of the page started floating all over the screen on iOS?

ETA: now it’s back to normal operation, so it must have just been a temporary glitch.

Pixelpoet1985

First: I like the new layout!

But: It would be nice if the thread title (and also the breadcrumbs and pagination) is sticky. I have several tabs opened all the time and quickly lose track. Just my 2 cents.

creativeforge

Barefoot Heart Music
First: I like the new layout!

But: It would be nice if the thread title (and also the breadcrumbs and pagination) is sticky. I have several tabs opened all the time and quickly lose track. Just my 2 cents.
It could be discussed... What are you using, desktop? Tablet?