What's new

New DRONAR Brass from Gothic Instruments

Time+Space

Gothic Instruments has released DRONAR Brass - the next instalment of their highly popular series of Kontakt atmosphere creation tools.

Despite beginning its journey as recordings of a concert brass group in an English church hall, what you DON’T get with DRONAR Brass is a brass sample library. What you DO get are organic, evolving atmospheric pads and pulses with a rich brassy core. A soundtrack from a steampunk brasstopia where synths are made of brass and run on steam power...

From breathtakingly majestic to ethereal and uplifting, suspenseful to relaxing… DRONAR Brass is useful for any project that requires interesting atmospheric pads - from electronic music and pop music to film and media jobs.

The brass texture lends itself to warm, rich sounds and can convey a mood of peace as well as heroism and will blend well with the DRONAR Live Strings module to give enhanced orchestral colours.

ABOUT THE DRONAR SERIES

The DRONAR series makes it incredibly easy to create and expressively play complete evolving atmospheres, pads and textures for a huge range of musical styles and moods.

Furthermore, DRONAR Brass is both beginner and expert friendly… Needing to only play a few notes and move a few dials to get such rich expression is inviting for newcomers to the DRONAR series, but an expert will get further by knowing which notes to play and how to express emotions using the dials.

Beyond the shimmering immediacy of the 'Main Page' awaits a whole other world of expert control, turning DRONAR into a vast modular multi-timbral synth/sampler with multiple independent arpeggiators.

DRONAR Brass is available now with an introductory 20% off until 14th March. If you already own a Gothic Instruments title, use code GOTHLOYA20 when you check out to receive an additional 20% off!*

For full details visit: https://www.timespace.com/collections/gothic-instruments/products/gothic-instruments-dronar-brass?variant=2418775785482

Quasar

I bought this, and the engine is cool as are the sonic options. But it's killing my CPU in Kontakt 5.7.3, even if I dramatically lower the voice count and bring the buffers way up to 256. It still spikes, causing pops and drop-outs. My specs are decent: i7 2600/32GB desktop with RME interface and drivers, and I can't think of another sample library that gives me this kind of issue.

Anyone else? Thoughts or ideas?

dagmarpiano

I bought this, and the engine is cool as are the sonic options. But it's killing my CPU in Kontakt 5.7.3, even if I dramatically lower the voice count and bring the buffers way up to 256. It still spikes, causing pops and drop-outs. My specs are decent: i7 2600/32GB desktop with RME interface and drivers, and I can't think of another sample library that gives me this kind of issue.

Anyone else? Thoughts or ideas?
Hi I’m Dan, co-owner of Gothic Instruments. Sorry you’re having this trouble.

CPU use is high partly because of so many sounds being modified by so many modulators at the same time.

However perhaps our purging system could be causing an issue. A suggestion is to run your hand up and down the MIDI keyboard to play all the notes. Because we have so many sounds potentially available (the whole sample set is accessible from the Expert page and therefore has to all be loaded in), we use a system of purging unused sounds. It’s possible that you are getting spikes just when purged sounds are being loaded for the first time, and therefore quickly playing all the notes will load every sound that you need and prevent this.

You can also slightly improve things by switching the “Eco” button on the main page on - this just turns off the lights animation which saves a bit of CPU. If you re-save a patch in Eco Mode it will also load a bit quicker thanks to the lack of lights animations.

To some extent Dronar is just a big resource hungry instrument so we can only go so far without just accepting that you need a very fast computer and can’t run too many instances. That said, we are also working on some optimisations for future updates which will help

KarlHeinz

This is really a pity, I own nearly all of the Dronar series but did not buy the brass cause Dronar just kills evry project with its CPU and RAM claim. So often I have a project when somewhere I thought: yes, it just needs that Dronar movement on a track to bring life into it, mostly just loading Dronar kills the daw project....

I must admit I dont have an i7 and I dont have 32 GB RAM......

And I can confirm that no other library I own has such high claim. Even Lunaris which is very intensive with its four voices and very complex engine could be "domesticated" in some way and never just kills a project while only trying to load...

Quasar

Hi I’m Dan, co-owner of Gothic Instruments. Sorry you’re having this trouble.

CPU use is high partly because of so many sounds being modified by so many modulators at the same time.

However perhaps our purging system could be causing an issue. A suggestion is to run your hand up and down the MIDI keyboard to play all the notes. Because we have so many sounds potentially available (the whole sample set is accessible from the Expert page and therefore has to all be loaded in), we use a system of purging unused sounds. It’s possible that you are getting spikes just when purged sounds are being loaded for the first time, and therefore quickly playing all the notes will load every sound that you need and prevent this.

You can also slightly improve things by switching the “Eco” button on the main page on - this just turns off the lights animation which saves a bit of CPU. If you re-save a patch in Eco Mode it will also load a bit quicker thanks to the lack of lights animations.

To some extent Dronar is just a big resource hungry instrument so we can only go so far without just accepting that you need a very fast computer and can’t run too many instances. That said, we are also working on some optimisations for future updates which will help
Thanks for the reply. I've done everything you suggested just playing with the first Arp-O-Rama JS, and have a patched saved with 128 max polyphony. Neither the Eco button nor changing the voice count seem to do much. (Yes, it's rather slow loading, which Eco may improve, but IMHO load times are not nearly as significant as how it behaves once it's ready and in use). Triggering every note to awaken from a purged state does seem to help marginally...

...I can find nothing mentioned at T+S about system requirements other than the standard "full Kontakt only" advisement. Again, my particular specs are generally more than enough for any Kontakt library, but if this takes, say, a 10-core i9 or whatever to run seamlessly, then that's what it takes.

If possible, any wizardry that can be performed on your side to optimize the CPU usage would be welcome. It's not wholly unusable as-is, but the CPU hit most definitely has an inhibiting effect on when and how it becomes an attractive option.

Welldone

Hmm, I recently bought the Gothic bundle in a sale but haven‘t downloaded it yet. After reading this thread I‘m a bit worried, if my computer can handle Dronar. The system requirements at Time & Space don‘t mention anything special and the reviews that I consulted, didn‘t mention performance problems.

Are all of the Dronar instruments extremly resource hungey?

Sorry for the slight off-topic.

KarlHeinz

I have Hybrid, Guitarscape, Live strings and cinematic athmospheres and I am afraid this problem exist in all libraries :-(. While buying one after another (evrytime tricked by the great sound they really can produce IF your pc can handle it) I was hoping that they will improve the engine but it seems it was only content adding. Of course I can comprehend that producing four voices in that way they do is very complex and cpu consuming but I really feel sad about that its useability is really highly limited cause of this...

Welldone

I have Hybrid, Guitarscape, Live strings and cinematic athmospheres and I am afraid this problem exist in all libraries :-(. While buying one after another (evrytime tricked by the great sound they really can produce IF your pc can handle it) I was hoping that they will improve the engine but it seems it was only content adding. Of course I can comprehend that producing four voices in that way they do is very complex and cpu consuming but I really feel sad about that its useability is really highly limited cause of this...
Thanks for your report.

Top Bottom