What's new

[new] Blüthner 1895 from VSL | SE Vol. 6+7

Ben

VSL
VSL just released a Blüthner 1895. Recorded in the Stage B of the Synchron Stage with 8 microphone positions. Standard: 165€ (regular 195€), All Mics: 290€ (regular: 345€).
Listen to the demos and videos on the product page!
The piano is also already part of the Synchron Piano Bundle, so if you own the other two you will get it even cheaper: https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Synchron_Package/Synchron_Pianos_Bundle

Also SE Vol 6: Dimension Brass I + II for 240€ (regular: 325€)
4 Trumpets, 4 Horns, 4 Trombones, 4 Wagner Tubas, Low-Brass Ensemble

And the SE Vol 7: Historic Instruments for 195€ (regular: 265€)
Transverse flute, Baroque oboe, Oboe da caccia, Ophicleide, Serpent, Cornett, Crumhorn, Recorder soprano/alto/tenor/bass, Natural trumpet Bb/C/D, Natural horn Bb alto and basso, C alto and basso, Eb, F, G, Glass Harmonica

(discounted price in August 2019, after that regular price)

I wish VSl would include the mic positions used in their piano demo. Not everyone is going to buy the full version, and I'd like to know what the piano would sound like with the standard mic. I just don't get companies at times...you want to sell a product, then sell the product with details. Anyway...sounds great, but maybe a future buy.

I wish VSl would include the mic positions used in their piano demo. Not everyone is going to buy the full version, and I'd like to know what the piano would sound like with the standard mic. I just don't get companies at times...you want to sell a product, then sell the product with details. Anyway...sounds great, but maybe a future buy.

You have to click on the little "i" for more details.

The sweetest piano ever listened to. Lyrical, as they say, without the run to the most piercing brilliance of more modern codas.

I would appreciate a comparison with NI's The Maverick, coming from the same era.

Paolo

Reactions: CGR
I haven't had a chance to listen properly yet, but I'm a little skeptical, yeah. Pianos haven't historically been in the "VSL instruments that work for me" category.

There's also Galaxy Pianos 1929 German Baby Grand (I forgot I still had it, as the person who was going to buy that collection off of me flaked). But the only other Blüthner I see on my list is Pianoteq -- though I seem to recall a one-off vendor who did a Blüthner library a few years ago that got good press.

This product came as a surprise, but a pleasant one. I worked 18 hours straight today so couldn't give it any real attention, but did play the full demo list twice through, while working on less intense stuff, and did pause a bit to fully concentrate, and frankly was quite blown away as I think this might be the best "historical piano" library yet.

What strikes me is the intimacy, the warmth, the balance, and the sense of place in any of the mic mixes used in the demos (tiny parlour, or large venue). This is an instant buy for me once I can rest from my day job (maybe SAT). I haven't checked the package upgrade discount yet; at Audio Deluxe it's only for non-loyal customers. Understandably, the loyalty discounts almost exclusively are via direct sales.

As I have found a few of the extra close and mid mics to be essential with the other two, I will buy the full edition for sure. I may even have one or two vouchers left over to cushion the expense.

and frankly was quite blown away as I think this might be the best "historical piano" library yet.
That's saying something Mark. The Galaxy 'Baby' Bluthner (155cm I think) is surprisingly good and pretty dynamic. Well suited to jazz trio and more intimate classical music (Chopin Nocturnes etc.) - I enjoy it every time I call it up. This Bluthner from VSL is very tempting. Being a 6'4" grand, it really has some body & depth which is missing from the Galaxy Bluthner, plus the benefit of the recording location captured in the samples. Dammit - I thought I was well covered with sampled pianos!

I'm very impressed with this piano, I LOVE it! I know it's a personal preference kind of thing but I really love the softer character of it. It might be inevitable that I'll add this to my collection...

Top Bottom