New big grand session is been proceed

Discussion in 'Member's Compositions' started by Levitanus, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Levitanus

Levitanus Active Member

Yesterday I've recorded about 50 minutes of piano music (2h of a total audio source). Now am waiting for the second session day, and will bring out some tasty things)

as a sample of the upcoming Rachmaninov album – Vocalize in the edition of Erl Wild with my additions. Feedback is still appreciated, as I would work on post-production quite long) Maybe, the release will be at the end of march

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    markleake, muk, synergy543 and 4 others like this.
  2. OleJoergensen

OleJoergensen Senior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    Denmark
    Beautifully played.
    Can I ask how the mic is placed?

puremusic and Levitanus like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Levitanus

Levitanus Active Member

@OleJoergensen, thanks. At the moment I'm investigating the best way to align the pairs in time. Now, i feel, something is too uncongergent in phase.
    2 414xls omni as main pair (1,5-1,7m from the grand), sure beta91(PZM) under the grand, two ribbon RM-BIV (russian manufacturer) at the center of hall. I feel this pair should be placed closer to the rear wall. The sound there was more clean, and here they took too much of the low-middle...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  4. CGR

CGR Pianist/Composer/Arranger

Jan 14, 2016
    Australia
    Really enjoyed your superb playing and dynamics. The piano make and model? Quite a dark & 'heavy' tone, but that may be due to mic choice & placement.

puremusic and Levitanus like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Levitanus

Levitanus Active Member

Steinway D hamburg. The bottom mic is very bright) It's the matter of taste.

puremusic and CGR like this.
  6. sleepy hollow

sleepy hollow unconsciously incompetent

Mar 28, 2015
    Germany
    I like your playing a lot. Sounds lovely!

Maybe you want to check out a phase alignment plugin (and not restrict yourself to time alignment in your DAW). It might get you closer to the desired result.

Voxengo's PHA-979 (hey, it's Russian;)) or Betabugs' Phasebug (a freebie) come to mind. Can't go wrong with checking out the freebie, I guess.

Levitanus likes this.
  7. OleJoergensen

OleJoergensen Senior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    Denmark
    Thank you for the explanaition. Are you realising an album in the near future?

8. OP
    OP
    Levitanus

Levitanus Active Member

honestly, I don't know... The next session I'm recording also some grand parts of my orch pieces for EP with Abora, but that is all. I just do not want to the main part (Rachmaninov 39op) gone totally unnoticed :grin:

9. OP
    OP
    Levitanus

Levitanus Active Member

10. OP
    OP
    Levitanus

Levitanus Active Member

vocalize update

Would appreciate any feedback (mixing, montage). Color-correction will be at the next iteration

Broojacker, CGR and synergy543 like this.
  11. synergy543

synergy543 Senior Member

Dec 11, 2004
    The Internets
    I enjoyed your performance. Beautifully played!

Levitanus likes this.
  12. CGR

CGR Pianist/Composer/Arranger

Jan 14, 2016
    Australia
    Thank you. Beautiful performance and recording.

Levitanus likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Levitanus

Levitanus Active Member

for the purpose of formatting multipost at the start of the thread, made a new one.