What's new

BBO: L & M goes strings!

This makes no sense...the majority of mock ups/VI libraries for film especially get replaced by live players. Sometimes the VIs get layered in with the live performance, but look at the Black Panther score...all live percussion.

And I know many A-list composers that pay for all their libraries...only a select few may get free libraries as promotion, but certainly not all of them, and there a lot. So maybe 1-2 top composers get free libraries...not a call for concern. And on top of that, a lot of the top composers also have their own bespoke libraries from projects they've done...Junkie XL comes to mind.
More than 1-2, but I hear ya... I still feel the wealthy composers should pay a usage fee for using VI libraries in major films and tv shows and that would dramatically lower the price for everyone else who doesn’t make near the kind of money these extremely lucky 🍀 bunch do.

@Ben ..any reason the high and low strings are capped off range wise? The lows are missing almost an octave and the high strings about a fifth in the low octave. Is this because of the overlap? Would have been nice to have the basses alone on the bottom end though if this is the case...:( Not sure about the high strings why that is though.

So...what are people’s thought after downloading the demo?has anyone compared it to other libraries?
Lyra & Musca are cool instruments, I own both and they sound really good together. For that price I definitely suggest people get them both while they are on sale. I own a lot of string libraries and these two bring something to the table, great sketching tools and for layering and adding to a final mix.

I really love L&M strings, legatos are very smooth and playable, the sonic quality is top notch, blend very well with my Synchron Strings I!

Now I'm deciding between L&M and Synchron Percussions II, both are outstanding libraries.
Still need to do more tests for me. I am not sure that the pronounced viola blend is a good fit more me...trying to test it against other libraries to see if I really "need" it. It's still a $145 investment for both.

Lyra & Musca are cool instruments, I own both and they sound really good together. For that price I definitely suggest people get them both while they are on sale. I own a lot of string libraries and these two bring something to the table, great sketching tools and for layering and adding to a final mix.
For sketching I can use a patch from almost any library...if I get these it's for final work only. Going to try them out in two productions that I am currently working on that utilize unison strings...see how it does. :)

Listened to the video walk-through. Really beautiful. It's basically a 26 piece violin section (with 8 viola 8vb), so like a hyper sized (a la HZ Strings) section with so many cool arts.

Hoping they do the same with no violas, and this would become my Vln I section (as-is panned left), then another of same just inverted (so panned rightish) would become my Vln II section.

This could serve as the mega-sized section of my string template. Then would love Celli & Basses seperate and maybe double the size.

AWESOME WORK VSL!

I really love L&M strings, legatos are very smooth and playable, the sonic quality is top notch, blend very well with my Synchron Strings I!

I love how the legatos have been done, not only for Lyra, but for the other BBO instruments I have been fortunate to experience. They are very fluid and beautiful.
Planning on covering these next week which I am very excited about.

Violas are not very strong in Lyra, so what they do is more thickening than real doubling. These strings are big, fat, and can sound ranging from smooth to aggressive, but always full.

I think they are great for sketching (they sound immediately satisfying) but also useful for the final version. As the other titles of the series, they are focused on expression, with very musical sustains and an abundance of swells.

I posted, in the VSL forum, a short comparison of a classical music piece, showing how these strings (and the whole BBO series) sound compared to SynSE when composing with a notation program. It's not a finished mockup, but what one can expect to hear from just entering notes and drawing a few dynamic curves. It should make evident how more inspiring the new library is.

Comparison between BBO and SySE

Paolo

I can only confirm the impression of ptram!

At the moment I'm using the Synchron SE with BBO and it works perfectly together.
Only the Lyra shorts don't really please me. For ostinatos I use the strings in SE, they are somehow more tight and less fat, which I find better for Ostinatos. Musca, on the other hand, is more appropriate for that.

As these are back on introductory pricing for a bit, I revisited them and then re-read this entire thread today, and am fairly certain these are NOT redundant for someone who owns all the other string libraries (several have come out since these Big bang installments were added, so I had to compare carefully), due to section size as well as the seating arrangements.

If this is incorrect and these would be redundant purchases (like some of the later Big Bang installments such as the recent end-of-alphabet strings and the stuff from the expanded Synchron Percussion), I'll definitely avoid buying them during the same. But right now, based on their sound and the articulation lists, it's looking like they might be a worthwhile addition even for those of us who "have it all".

Reactions: Ben
Top Bottom