What's new

Neumann Headphones

JT

Has anyone had any experience with these, Neumann NDH 20?

What caught my interest is that Neumann advertises these as closed back mixing & mastering headphones. They also claim that these do not need an amp, just plug them into a laptop and you're set. I'm in a situation where normal open back phones are not ideal.

All this appeals to me if it's true.

Any info would be appreciated.

I tried em.

They look great, feel great, fit great. But I was pretty astonished at the sound - at least, versus the Neumann claims of being flat, accurate, mixing cans that share some kind of sonic DNA with their excellent monitors. For me, they were low end focussed and very soft in the upper mids and treble - I felt like I would almost never be able to make anything sound harsh on them, which is a massive turn off for me. I need a linear, unflattering midrange presentation to make sure the meat of a mix is working, and these didn't provide it. They'd be great for kicking back for an hour and listening to Mezzanine turned up nice and loud, but for critical work I was surprised and disappointed.

I did check up on plenty of reviews afterwards though, and in general people seem to like them... I think headphones are an even more personal choice than monitors, so if can find them anywhere to try then give them a go.

Top Bottom