What's new

Negative Track Delay Database / Spreadsheet

I would love to see someone using efficiently a template with one multi patch per instrument. I only see exemple of people using dozens of patchs per instrument, it’s quite overwhelming when you are a beginner
It doesn't have to be overwhelming just do what's best for you !

I don't quantize for a mockup but you have to do it if it's played by an "orchestra".
The video headline is misleading - the video topic is really about track delays and how some devs don't compensate for differences with mics placed further away and therefore have longer pre-delay times.

Anybody know if there's a difference in negative delay times for Berlin Woodwinds on Sine? As I see it's the Kontakt version included in the sheet.

Anybody know if there's a difference in negative delay times for Berlin Woodwinds on Sine? As I see it's the Kontakt version included in the sheet.
Good question. I have both, but haven't bothered to change my VEPro server from the Kontakt versions to the Sine versions. Maybe someone with a bit of extra time on their hands could check some of the numbers.

@David Kudell have you actually bothered to develop an app that automatically adjusts negative offsets to all my tracks and articulations so I don't have to bother? Its all good being a samaritan and collecting data like you're in WestWorld but honestly, when are you going to be useful? Until then, my shit is gonna be a mean average of 60ms out of time 😂

I don't want that. I want David to do it. :laugh:
Haha, you've caught on to my scheme, which is just to find another way to troll people who hate 8-bit. Someone's going to be looking at the spreadsheet, entering the numbers, thinking "wow, what a nice guy David is," and then realize that I'm the 8-bit guy and go "Nooooooo!"

There are some different numbers for Berlin Strings at least. I'm in the process of getting the delay numbers for everything in Berlin Orchestra on SINE, which is comprised of parts of all the Berlin Mains. @David Kudell could I get write access to the spreadsheet?
I think the best way is to put some of your numbers into your own spreadsheet to start, and I'll do a spot check to make sure I'm hearing the same delays. If that all checks out, I can give you write access. When I started this, I gave lots of people access, but a lot of the numbers I found to be all over the place, so this way I can kind of verify things a bit first.

Haha, you've caught on to my scheme, which is just to find another way to troll people who hate 8-bit. Someone's going to be looking at the spreadsheet, entering the numbers, thinking "wow, what a nice guy David is," and then realize that I'm the 8-bit guy and go "Nooooooo!"
I was just trying to hire you man. Guess you've changed :laugh:

I think the best way is to put some of your numbers into your own spreadsheet to start, and I'll do a spot check to make sure I'm hearing the same delays. If that all checks out, I can give you write access. When I started this, I gave lots of people access, but a lot of the numbers I found to be all over the place, so this way I can kind of verify things a bit first.
Makes total sense. I'll let you know when I finish and share my copy.

So I am trying to figure out the whole Berlin Series NTD-Values at the moment. And I would like to get some more opinions regarding microtiming. Do you think that transients should ALWAYS be EXACTLY on the grid??? Does it make sense for instruments in some registers to be a little bit (too) early or late?

One example: When doing the String Section legatos (1VL/2VL/VA/VC/DB) I thought that judging by ear, it sounds more accurate when having the low instruments, Celli and Basses, play earlier. ... somewhere around 10-30ms before the higher Strings

Looking forward to hear some more thoughts!

Example Latency.JPG
+ would you place the pizzicatos 100% on the beat? (Screenshot)

Last edited:
So I am trying to figure out the whole Berlin Series NTD-Values at the moment. And I would like to get some more opinions regarding microtiming. Do you think that transients should ALWAYS be EXACTLY on the grid??? Does it make sense for instruments in some registers to be a little bit (too) early or late?

One example: When doing the String Section legatos (1VL/2VL/VA/VC/DB) I thought that judging by ear, it sounds more accurate when having the low instruments, Celli and Basses, play earlier. ... somewhere around 10-30ms before the higher Strings

Looking forward to hear some more thoughts!

Example Latency.JPG
+ would you place the pizzicatos 100% on the beat? (Screenshot)
... here are all the rendered waveforms for a pizz section (Berlin Strings) Example 2.JPG

1VL: -10ms
2VL: -20ms
VA: -20ms
VC: -20ms
CB: -10ms (here i would move the bass to -20ms or -30ms)

The low Strings have some notes that really feel "laid back", so I was looking at the average

Top Bottom