What's new

Need Some Testers For CSS VST/AU Delay Compensation Solution

calebfaith

Hi,

This weekend I've thrown together a VST to automatically compensate for the different delays in CSS. I've previously created a solution only for Reaper using scripting but this version should work as a VST in all DAWs. You just have to place it before Kontakt.

This version will:
- Detect keyswitches and CC messages to select the correct delay mode
- Advanced Legato
- Normal Legato
- Shorts​
- Apply the correct delay for different legato types depending on velocity
- Not apply the delay to the beginning of a legato phrase

The first version will be VST/Windows x64 only and AU may follow later if there is interest.

At the moment I'm looking for some testers from different DAWs to give it a test run.

Thanks!
Caleb

OP
calebfaith

calebfaith

Here's a quick video example of the plugin. The best part is that it uses VSTs builtin latency compensation to request that the DAW sends the MIDI 500ms before so you don't have to set a track delay. Just add the plugin before Kontakt and you're good to go!

This video shows it handling both types of legato, shorts and no legato all detected from Keyswitches. The middle track is the recorded MIDI output from the plugin so you can see what is actually being sent to Kontakt.

wst3

my office these days
I can test in Sonar Platinum, Studio One V3, and Digital Performer V9.

clisma

@calebfaith I think you can clearly see there’s interest from us Logic Users on Mac :)

Could this be adapted be to be used with libraries other than CSS? Meaning, do you provide access to parameters like amount of delay compensation in ms, and can you target MIDI events other than CC58?

OP
calebfaith

calebfaith

Thanks for all the interest everyone. Still ironing out some issues. I definitely think this is a solution that should work in most DAWs.

@calebfaith I think you can clearly see there’s interest from us Logic Users on Mac :)

Could this be adapted be to be used with libraries other than CSS? Meaning, do you provide access to parameters like amount of delay compensation in ms, and can you target MIDI events other than CC58?
As far as AU support it shouldn't take long to build out just need to get access to a Mac to do so (might rent Mac in Cloud). I want to get it working as a VST first though.

I can build in customisation at the moment I'm trying to get it work nicely with other DAWs.

It works perfectly in reaper however most other DAWs don't seem to support MIDI out from vsts like reaper does. So at the moment still a work in progress.

We've attempted:
- Cubase which seems to need some tweaking to get it to work so I'm waiting till they release the trial so I can iron out some issues.
- Studio One which seems to fundamentally not allow you to chain vsts at all. So I don't think it will work here. There is NoteFX but they don't allow any 3rd parties. Might work on a separate track but not like reaper.
- FL studio isn't recognising it as a plugin yet so I'll have to do more testing.
- VEP doesn't support VST3 and Steinberg has dropped support for VST2 as well as new developers not being able to get a licence to distribute VST2 (therefore illegal).

clisma

It works perfectly in reaper however most other DAWs don't seem to support MIDI out from vsts like reaper does. So at the moment still a work in progress.
Yep, sounds like you have work cut out for you. I'm not sure how many DAWs actually allow chaining VSTs on the same channel. Logic certainly doesn't, but if you can compile your VST as a MIDI plugin, Logic does separate between those two kinds.

Either way, I'm glad to see someone tackling this problem with an external plugin. At some point in the future, this capacity will be integrated into all DAWs as the need to compensate for delay on various articulations will become more prevalent, but until then, it's up for the taking.

Dewdman42

Please consider making it configurable so that it can be used with other libraries that have similar issues. Good idea doing it as a VST/AU in order to get PDC correction automatically.

Top Bottom