What's new

Need help with Logic/VE-Pro

Heinigoldstein

I´ve read a lot of posts, but I´m still struggling and could´t find an answer, so please be patient, if this is a repeating thread.

My template has round about 30 instances of VE-Pro on my Mac and about the same on my slave PC. A lot of OT, some Spitfire, some EW (on PC). Others are running directly in Logic.
When VE-Pro is loaded, the Logic template always needs some time to connect, 5-10 Minutes. Not ideal, but I could live with that. But every now and then, I really can´t figure out why, the template (or even worse an existing project ) does not connect at all.
And to make it more mysterious, sometimes VE-Pro on the slave crashes, sometimes it just does not connect to the Mac instances.

Did anybody had the same problem and solved it ? I read about loading problems with OTs Capsule, but why does it work 75% and the next day it doesn´t ?

I tried to skip VE-Pro on my Mac and insert all VIs directly in Logic. It works, but saving a project takes age.

Thanks a lot

Can you give some specs? How much RAM installed and in use with a full template load, HD/SSD space on both computers? Sounds like the kind of thing that happens when RAM gets overloaded on my slave PCs. How are you doing multichannel MIDI? 60 instances between the two is a lot more than I run, but I know that MIDI routing may be different/tricky with Logic. Jay Asher will hopefully chime in here--he is the Logic guru, to be sure.

The connection times are the connection times. The more v-frames you are asking Logic to connect to, the longer it takes.

The failing to connect is a different issue and one that I have not seen but I am only using the H.O. on the PC and Kontakt libraries on the Mac and unfortunately, much as I admire them, I don't have any OT or Spitfire libraries.

The only solution I know of is painful: start with fewer v-frames, especially the ones you may be suspicious of. Is all fine? Add a few more. Is it still connecting fine? And so on.

Scientific method, eliminate variables, then add them back. I wish I had a "Oh, yeah, I had that and I fixed it by doing A then B etc." answer but I don't.

Specs, of course ! Stupid me sorry.

2010 Mac Pro 12 core, 32 gb, all samples stream from SSDs, same for the PC, i7 but only 16gb.

Since the "guru" suggested I use one instance per instrument and thanks for joining ;)

That's what I did the whole day, try and error with loading and deactivating. It looks like your right. The connection problem seems to disappear, when I reduce the huge OT string patches. Even when all sampels are purched when loading. Maybe tomorrow I try the same with the PC and, lucky me, OT just released a Capsule update, which is suppost to work better with VE-Pro.

Thanks a lot for helping

Stefan

Specs, of course ! Stupid me sorry.

2010 Mac Pro 12 core, 32 gb, all samples stream from SSDs, same for the PC, i7 but only 16gb.

Since the "guru" suggested I use one instance per instrument and thanks for joining ;)

That's what I did the whole day, try and error with loading and deactivating. It looks like your right. The connection problem seems to disappear, when I reduce the huge OT string patches. Even when all sampels are purched when loading. Maybe tomorrow I try the same with the PC and, lucky me, OT just released a Capsule update, which is suppost to work better with VE-Pro.

Thanks a lot for helping

Stefan

In Logic, make sure you have Sample Accurate Automation set to OFF (under Preferences->Audio->General)... I was having some issues with Capsule in VEPro and changing this setting fixed the problem for me.

I'll check this too, thanks. The strange thing to me is, that, if I start the project with empty instances and load all Instruments manually after Logic is connected, it works perfect. But that's a terrible work around.

I'll check this too, thanks. The strange thing to me is, that, if I start the project with empty instances and load all Instruments manually after Logic is connected, it works perfect. But that's a terrible work around.
That sounds similar to the problem I was experiencing. It was fine if I just loaded up a new project, but when I loaded my large orchestral template I would get lots of lag and crashes. Switching off Sample Accurate Automation fixed it for me so I'd say it's definitely worth looking into!

5-10 minutes just to connect when they're already loaded seems odd. It's pretty much immediate when you only have ten instances, and 3 X pretty much immediate = pretty much immediate.

Long connection time may also be caused by a twisted lan cable instead of an untwisted (or vice versa).
But that's just something I read somewhere.

I'm still in the middle of that very painfull try and error process and I'm afraid, it will take me the whole weekend too. But your hints were very helpfull and I'm getting a bit more optimistic.

Thanks again

Yeah, something is definitely wrong if it's taking a long time to connect. As I've said elsewhere, I run a massive template of about 40 multitimbral VEP instances (16 ch each, so 640 instruments) and loading my template only takes a few seconds, including connection times to all my slave machines...

I was having the same issue. To fix I start with both master and slave machines off. I turn on my slave, wait a minute for it to bootup, then turn on my master machine. Login to my slave via screen sharing and start my vep template. When everything it loaded which takes 10-15 mins, I start Logic on my master. It connects very quickly now.

This sounds a lot like an issue I had when I first got VEP a couple months ago. The difference is mine was in Cubase. I also do not have a slave (for now), and just use VEP locally to host samples.

I would load up my VEP instances, open up my Cubase template, and then SOMETIMES it would freeze for upwards of 20-30 minutes. Maybe around 60/40 in favor of freezing. I looked everywhere looking for a forum post or something resembling my problem and found nothing, so I spent a full day just experimenting and trying to at least figure out the cause.

The problem was with OT's Capsule. If I eliminated all my OT libraries from VEP before loading up Cubase, the problem would go away. If I had even a single instance with Capsule, the problem would reappear.

My workaround was to do what said in a previous post. Load my VEP M-frame with any Capsule-obtaining instances as blank, connect to Cubase, and then open up the V-frame containing OT libraries to their corresponding VEP instance. Once the samples loaded, everything would work perfectly. For me, this only involves loading three instances (Percussion, Strings and Woodwinds) after opening Cubase, however, this could be more difficult with Logic as my understanding is that Logic users typically have far more instances. I've done this workaround for over a month now with zero issues.

Sidenote: As I'm typing this, I am updating the last of my OT libraries to their newest Capsule and instrument updates. I can't say for sure whether the problem is gone, but things do look promising as I was able to connect with both Woodwinds and Strings being loaded pre-Cubase multiple times now. There still was a bit of a freeze, but it was around 30 seconds vs the previous 30 minutes. Of course, since the problem was so inconsistent, I won't know for certain until I can go a week or so without any issue.

So, after a very painfull weekend, I like to report for all with a simular problem, what is my (preliminary ?) conclution.

Not connecting at all

I reduced my template step by step and do not max out my RAM and turn of Sample Acc Automation. And voila, it connects.

Connection time

Still very long (5min) with a reduced template. My Logic template needs about one minute to load without VEPro running. It is about the same with only the Mac VEPro running. As soon as the slave PC joins, it is slow.
I kept the sample content, but reduced VEPro instances. Much faster.
I also have the impression, the Capsule update is a step in the right direction.

I'm running into two minor problems now.

Since I use SkiSwitcher and don't want to miss it anymore, I'm not able to split Kontakt instances over different Midi-Ch. in one VEPro instance ( if I'm right).
And I was very happy to get rid of the Vienna Logic Multis. Is there another way to set it up ?

PC-RAM is ordered, but I'm not sure, if I should invest money in RAM for a 6 year old Mac.

But as long, as I can be sure, it connects, I can live with the connection time. But can I ;)

Anyhow, thanks once again for all your support

Stefan

On your mac, go to System Preferences, File Sharing. Is it on? If not, turn it on. Does that help?

Yes, it's turned on.

I did a last check. Only 10 instances of VEPro on the PC, but with 14gb sample content ( with a lot of Capsule patches ). Loading time for my Logic template 1 minute including all connections. So it is definetely many VEPro instances, that cause the problem for me with the slave.

My PC Hollywood Series has 39 v-frames. I created a Logic template that only has the 39 instances of the VE Pro server plug-in to connect to them. It took 14 seconds.

So heinigoldstein, I can only conclude it is not the number of instances that is your issue.

Jay, thanks a lot. More and more I'm pretty sure, there must be something wrong with my PC. I know it is a lot of instances and that's why it takes about a minute to load my Logic template. But as long as the PC is not involved, it connects instantly. I even tried my office iMac as a slave and it works pretty well too. But as soon as the PC is switched on only( even when there is no VEPro-server loaded ), it lasts about 5-10 minutes. Only when I reduce the instances in Logic it gets less.

It's the worse case, because I know a littlebit about Macs, but very little about PCs. Maybe I just stick to the iMac, it's so much easier anyhow ;)

Thanks again

Stefan

Stefan, there has to be some PC geek near you or over Skype who could sort this out for you in a couple of hours max and it would be money well spent, much better than buying some effing new library IMHO.

Stefan, there has to be some PC geek near you or over Skype who could sort this out for you in a couple of hours max and it would be money well spent, much better than buying some effing new library IMHO.

That' what I'm gone do next, I spent too much time on this already. But at least it's sorted out, so it wasn't wasted time.
And by the way, your method of single instances improved my whole workflow a lot, besides of this. So thanks lot !

Top Bottom