1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help understanding what I have written

Discussion in 'Composition, Orchestration & Technique' started by SimonCharlesHanna, Mar 13, 2018.

1. SimonCharlesHanna

SimonCharlesHanna Senior Member

Feb 3, 2012
    I wrote this section which is on some sort of D octatonic scale. It has a moving bassline and some strings. The entire minute is basically noodling around this D scale. All the instruments have been conceived horizontally rather than vertically.

I'd really like to understand the harmonic implications here because I can't quite get my head around it.

It feels like a pedal of sorts but the bass is moving

I am having a lot of trouble "filling in the harmonic background"

It's very rough at the moment so don't take each note as gospel just yet!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Paul T McGraw likes this.
  2. Paul T McGraw

Paul T McGraw Senior Member

Feb 14, 2012
    The function is the same as a pedal tone, so that is how I would think of this section of music. Also, the late romantic masters sometimes used a held note very high or in the mid-register as a substitute for the pedal in the bass. I can't think of a specific example off the top of my head, but if I think of one later I will post it.

In my opinion, you do not need to fill out more harmonically. Instead, you can use brass stabs, or woodwind runs to add more excitement. Just a thought.

SimonCharlesHanna likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    SimonCharlesHanna

SimonCharlesHanna Senior Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Hey Paul. Thanks for that confirmation. Ill keep working with that in mind... it still feels a bit wrong haha

Paul T McGraw likes this.