What's new

Need help deciding on Strings (+ solo)

Shamgar

After messing around with Miroslav Philharmonik 2 (which is dreadful), which I bought on sale some years ago, I decided to save up for Black Friday sales and get a decent Solo and Ensemble String library (and get winds/brass sections later on).

A year ago, my mind settled on the CineStrings bundle, because:
- Have been very pleased with the Tina Guo legato package ever since I got it and after comparing various Solo Strings libraries, the one of CineStrings appealed to me most, so why not go all in?
- Someone I know was very pleased about the sound and ease of use of his CineSamples collection
- CineStrings Core sounded good at the time and more affordable than others.
- Was hoping for a great bundle deal at Black Friday

But, I'm having 2nd thoughts on CineStrings Core/Runs, because:
- I discovered that I prefer a more intimate sound over the big Hollywood sound most of the time
- Am rather smitten away by Spitfire Chamber Strings, but it's a bit expensive. And once I go down the Spitfire path, my wallet will probably hate me.
- The bundle deal isn't that interesting compared to the discounts on the individual products. So, might as well just take CineStrings solo and get ensemble strings elsewhere

My budget is around € 700 and for this I want good solo & ensemble strings that are easy to work with.

My options for Solo Strings:
- CineStrings Solo at the current 40% discount is still my first choice, because of legato, # of instruments
- CSSS, but it doesn't have a bass (might want to use it) and it's a bit more expensive (unless I buy CSS as well) and I hear legato needs more finetuning.
I once considered Spitfire Solo, but CineStrings Solo contains a 2nd violin and bass & has more articulations in general

For Ensemble:
- Spitfire Chamber Strings, I love the intimate sound and it seems to be the go-to library of many others. but at its current price, I can't buy a solo library, unless they decide to do some Black Friday discount. I understand there was a 25% discount last year, so hoping for another.
- CSS, which is comparable in price to CineStrings Core and if I opt for CSS, their solo library would be an interesting addition, but I'm not sure whether CSSS is better than CineStrings Solo.
- CineStrings Core, still seems like a good library, but a bit too grand. Perhaps with EQ-ing I could make it sound smaller when needed.
- 8Dio Adagio bundle, which currently sells for 499 and seems to be a great deal for what you get, but I read mixed user reviews, so I fear I might regret it.

Welcome to vi control lol in case you feel like you're getting unanimous answer of CSS

Spitfire: if you want no risk of anyone telling you that your track sounds like you did it on a computer.

Even if your midi is poorly programmed you would still sound like your piece was a recording of a poorly rehearsed middle school student honors orchestra if you used spitfire.

Have a great one

Welcome to vi control lol in case you feel like you're getting unanimous answer of CSS

Spitfire: if you want no risk of anyone telling you that your track sounds like you did it on a computer.

Even if your midi is poorly programmed you would still sound like your piece was a recording of a poorly rehearsed middle school student honors orchestra if you used spitfire.

Have a great one

Hi

Dunno if I should interpret your answer as a +1 for Spitfire or a +1 for CSS. A poorly rehearsed middle school student honors orchestra would still sound more real than An obviously programmed orchestra.

Financially, CSS + CSSS would be the logical choice at this point. It's quite good and I don't think I'll regret buying it, but the more intimate sound of SCS appeals to me more and I guess that I'll keep wanting it

Hi

Dunno if I should interpret your answer as a +1 for Spitfire or a +1 for CSS. A poorly rehearsed middle school student honors orchestra would still sound more real than An obviously programmed orchestra.

Financially, CSS + CSSS would be the logical choice at this point. It's quite good and I don't think I'll regret buying it, but the more intimate sound of SCS appeals to me more and I guess that I'll keep wanting it

+1 for both but I wanted to give you perspective that's all

+1 for both but I wanted to give you perspective that's all

Ok, so which do you think is better (or more forgiving) for a more novice orchestral composer?

Composing big scores still seems daunting to me, but composing for smaller ensembles (folk/quintet setting) is much more doable, but i still need more midi-practise to make it sound convincing.

Am used to performing in a band-setting.

Just to make your decision more difficult ;)

(broken link removed)

Indeed, so it might boil down to which Library is more forgiving to a novice like me. Still leaning towards SCS, because I think it'll be more usefull in long term.

I guess I'll watch some more tutorials

Same boat here, and looking for a good brass library. I'm a big fan of Spitfire, but CSS looks and sounds awesome. Those black-weekend sales though...

Same boat here, and looking for a good brass library. I'm a big fan of Spitfire, but CSS looks and sounds awesome. Those black-weekend sales though...

Been comparing libraries using @Christof's The Robber. CSS sounds better than most, but the distinctive character of the SCS version really blows me way during the first half of the song, the 2nd half after the mp part would have sounded better with a bit more instruments, but perhaps it's also because that version doesn't have much reverb, the Alt-mic version sounds better on that front.

However the CSS+CSSS rendition might have best of both worlds (body and dinstinction).

Last edited:
both are great libraries and neither are especially difficult for a novice but IMO CSS may have a BIT more of a learning curve as the CSS legato is a bit less intuitive when performing in parts. You have to adjust relatively dramatically to the transition delay. SCS suffers less from this.

As much as I like CSS, I would hesitate to recommend it if you didn't use Cubase. Just my opinion of course
Interesting, what's the connection between CSS and Cubase?
Is CSS reacting differently in different DAW's?
I use it in Logic.

Ouch, I'm now seeing this:

(broken link removed) (SSS+SCS for € 739)
(broken link removed) (SCS + Brass + Woodwinds for € 1169)

I wasn't sure yet about whether I wanted to get SCS or CSS+CSSS, but that Black Friday deal is just hard to pass.

If I had the money, I'd consider the SSO-CS-edition bundle

I decided to get Spitfire's Black Friday deal. SSS+SCS+SSSEvo for 739 seemed like a real bargain.

Now I hope my sample-SSD is large enough (280 GB free, but site says I need 400GB during install process), otherwise I'd have to move things around first. First World problems

Last edited:
Top Bottom