What's new

Need help composing/orchestrating

mediumaevum

The piece is not finished yet, and I can't figure out how to finish this composition.

But the question begs: Is the overall melody/theme interesting at all?
Should I make a B-section?

I'm trying to have the piece as short as possible to convert to sheet score for real musicians to play. I just need some ideas on how to make this piece have a satisfying ending.

It sounds very hymn like to me - the meter, the chord switching, and the repeating structure. If that is what you are going for, then fine, but I think you are going for more? If you are, then I think you need to keep working on it. Play with other melodies that work with the same chords, and see if you can play other melodies over the top, including using different length notes so it isn't so static. You can then start using them as alternative melodies that take over/replace the simple structure you currently have to add more interest. Work on counter melodies that are not so rigidly sticking with the main one, but give "call / answer" responses, or provide leading notes, etc.

Generally you want your piece to have a start, middle and end. Repeating the same melody with more instruments isn't going to be enough to keep people's interest, and doesn't normally provide that start/middle/end structure you need. So work through the structure with that in mind. Maybe keep your melody as the first part if you want (although I'd recommend you start with more than just the one instrument like you did here), and then alternate on that, then come back to it more clearly at the end.

You may find the hymn like chordal switching isn't going to work here. You can stretch the chord changes out more, and change the melody accordingly to follow.

Don't forget that a musical piece is telling a story or communicating something. What story do you want this one to tell? What emotion?

It's not a bad start, I'd explore adding a little rhythmic something to the melody and explore the possibilities more. Right now it feels a lot like "Statement, statement. Statement, statement." And every statement has the same plain quarter-note rhythm. Even just converting one pair of quarter notes into a dotted quarter+eighth might unlock more possibilities. The second half of the melody, where it reaches upward, is nice, and with the switch to shorter notes to propel into it... I think there's more possibilities there. More melodic voice-leading in the other voices might help too, John Williams' slow hymn-like stuff is full of interesting voice leading, like the brass in the Saving Private Ryan hymn, etc.

Trying to make things short as possible can be counterproductive, at least, I've found it can negatively impact what I'm doing. Musical material often has its own ideas about scope and pacing. :)

It's a good start! For me, the melody is not quite strong enough to carry the whole piece at that tempo. Being slower makes it feel "dragged out" which is fine. But it doesn't do your idea justice. The mood of the piece is leaning towards happier thoughts (for me) and because of the slower tempo, I'm not sure how to feel when listening. In my opinion, bumping the tempo up and giving it an underlying supportive rhythmic structure, that feels bouncy and sharp, would help it.

However, if you want to keep it at that tempo, I'd experiment with adding more in the melody. Not necessarily different notes, just dividing it up a little more to create rhythm and variation. Helps with slower tempos.

It's a good start! For me, the melody is not quite strong enough to carry the whole piece at that tempo. Being slower makes it feel "dragged out" which is fine. But it doesn't do your idea justice. The mood of the piece is leaning towards happier thoughts (for me) and because of the slower tempo, I'm not sure how to feel when listening. In my opinion, bumping the tempo up and giving it an underlying supportive rhythmic structure, that feels bouncy and sharp, would help it.

However, if you want to keep it at that tempo, I'd experiment with adding more in the melody. Not necessarily different notes, just dividing it up a little more to create rhythm and variation. Helps with slower tempos.

Is this better?

Yes, thats much better.

Now, don't misunderstand me here. I'm very glad for any feedback/critique I get, and I appreciate your help.

But in all honesty I think it lose its hymn-like quality by adding the extra notes. With the changes I made, it sounds like a happy little melody, instead of of a hymn.

It might work as a variation though. But only if the original is kept and allowed to "evolve", provided it returns to its former simplicity. But of course, I'm still open to further ideas.

But I do appreciate your feedback. Keep it coming.

Last edited:
Top Bottom