Need a woodworker for desk adjustments (LA local)

tarantulis

Hey VI,

I have a Zaor Miza 88XL desk that I'm looking to adjust. Right now the desktop is way too high and the sliding keyboard tray way too low...so I am looking to hire someone who can trim a few inches off the legs/tray and re-hinge according to dimensions provided.

Anyone have a reference?

-Tarantulis

chillbot

Sock Muppet
My woodworker is, sadly, me after a bottle of wine. I could have done a much better job (but I didn't). If I could do it a second time I'm sure I would nail it. Want me to come over? All you need is a jigsaw (I can bring) and all it will cost is a bottle of wine (I can bring that too). What I did was measure how much space was between the top of the keyboard and the bottom of the desk, which was a ton of useless space, like 1.5 inches. So I cut that off the bottom of the desk and repositioned the keyboard tray accordingly, 1.5 inches higher. Hold on I'll take a pic.

chillbot

Sock Muppet
So I didn't cut anything off the keyboard tray, since it has it's own legs. I just had to reposition the keyboard slide 1.5" higher. The problem I ran into is that the keyboard wouldn't roll on carpet. I fixed this by getting two solid pieces of wood (maple) for the legs to run on and put them under the wheels. This caused issues with my other "woodworking", and I had to raise the desk another 1/4". One of the wheels has since snapped, either from the stress of my woodworking or the depression I caused (probably also stress-related). Fortunately it's not my desk! Ask @Jdiggity1 how he likes it.

Currently, modified, the top of the keyboard tray sits roughly ~25" off the ground and the top of the desk is roughly ~32" off the ground. It perfectly houses a Roland RD2000. Except for the snapped wheel. And, as long as you don't look down.

101030633_653963632117671_4747002192903274496_n.jpg

101061959_686469142086600_3001335387101593600_n.jpg

Last edited:

chillbot

Sock Muppet
As far as actual woodworkers, if you don't want me coming over with my wine and my jigsaw... it's a pretty easy task, you don't need a studio-specific woodworking guy or gal. @Nick Batzdorf could do it but he'll bring his own desk with and try to pimp it to you. I also have the contact number of the guy that used to be KK Audio but he also does his own desks and probably wouldn't be interested in modifying another desk. I would just contact any local carpenter.

Nick Batzdorf

I wouldn't pimp my desk, I'd just bring it along and nonchalantly not say anything. And I cost at least three bottles of wine - after which I can't operate power tools without accidentally cutting off my own genitals, so it's not a good idea.

The white keys on piano keyboards are 28" - 29-1/2" above the ground, and most keyboards need about 5" of space. 25" off the ground for the bottom sounds about right.

My advice is to get yourself some really gnarly drawer slides if you're going to use them (I don't anymore, I use hardwood rails and cover them with paste wax). Knape and Vogt 8900s or the Accuride equivalents are very good, and you can find them on ebay or other corners of the Internet for a lot less than list price if you have time to wait.