Need a small MIDI keyboard

Discussion in 'Your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)' started by I like music, May 5, 2019.

1. I like music

I like music Senior Member

Oct 26, 2015
    Hi everyone,

I'm struggling to find a MIDI keyboard that's 2 or 3 octaves and has a modwheel. It is intended to be used for when I travel (train) and also when I'm in bed with a laptop and Cubase.

It doesn't need to have regular sized keys. Mainly it is intended for me to work voicings and chords out. But as stated, I struggled to find one that has a modwheel.

If you have any suggestions, they would be most welcome!

Thanks,

2. damcry

damcry Member

Mar 10, 2018
    I have an m-audio mini 32 for that kind of use.
    There’s a volume button that you can (very easily) assign as modulation

Otherwise, the Korg microkey25

I like music likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    I like music

I like music Senior Member

Oct 26, 2015
    Ah, that's really helpful thank you! I think I might end up going for the Korg, just because the reviews are tending to suggest that it is a bit more reliable.

4. StillLife

StillLife Senior Member

Mar 18, 2017
    Bought a NI M32 last week. 100 euro's, great build quality and very nice if you have Komplete.

5. kevinh

kevinh New Member

Feb 17, 2018
    I just bought the NI Komplete M32 and love it. Also comes with bundled plugins and really like how it supports NKS.

I like music likes this.
  6. dzilizzi

dzilizzi I know nothing

Feb 27, 2017
    Somewhere near Los Angeles
    Didn't Native Instruments come out with a smaller version of their nks keyboard in a 25 key version? I was looking at it but it hadn't been released at that time and I forgot to go back later. I have a launchkey mini, 25 smaller keys. Some pads and knobs. Works well but I miss the modwheel. Though I guess it would be easy to assign the modwheel to a knob.

I like music likes this.
  7. kevinh

kevinh New Member

Feb 17, 2018
    I’ve had a 25 key controller and the extra few keys in the M32 make a huge difference for me without adding to overall size of keyboard.

dzilizzi and I like music like this.