What's new

Need a small midi controller with nice faders

I just got a Behringer X Touch Compact. Jeff Rona recommend it. I like it very much. I have the extra pots assigned to softsynth control. You can toggle between Daw mode and Midi CC mode quickly, build quality is very good. $399 usd. one bad sign, the Mac editor still has not come out.

https://www.music-group.com/Categories/Behringer/Computer-Audio/Desktop-Controllers/X-TOUCH-COMPACT/p/P0B3L

X-TOUCH-COMPACT_P0B3L_Top_L.png

Cheap... Korg Nanokontrol get the job done for $60. But it is plastic and cheap feeling.

Thanks for the tip, this is most likely the direction I will go. And thanks for mentioning Jeff Rona. Just hope it isn't too noisy, at least not as noisy as their older unit, https://www.music-group.com/Categories/Behringer/Computer-Audio/Desktop-Controllers/BCF2000/p/P0246 (BCF2000)

No it's much better than that the quality seems to be there you'll be pretty happy just don't count on it a Mac editor it's nowhere in sight even though they promised one but if you use logic or Cubase there shortly other ways to go in and make your silence and your Daw

Thanks for the tip, this is most likely the direction I will go. And thanks for mentioning Jeff Rona. Just hope it isn't too noisy, at least not as noisy as their older unit, https://www.music-group.com/Categories/Behringer/Computer-Audio/Desktop-Controllers/BCF2000/p/P0246 (BCF2000)

This one is working nicely for me to control expression, vibrato, volume etc. in Logic: https://us.novationmusic.com/launch/launch-control-xl#

It's solid feeling with smooth faders (fairly short; about 60mm, but that works for me), plays nicely with Logic, has a Mac editor ... and lots of extra knobs and buttons for other stuff like VI parameters if you are feeling synthy.

A whole lot better than the Behringer, which is old by today's standards, and funky with Logic. $150.

Last edited:
No it's much better than that the quality seems to be there you'll be pretty happy just don't count on it a Mac editor it's nowhere in sight even though they promised one but if you use logic or Cubase there shortly other ways to go in and make your silence and your Daw
I use four computers, all PC so no problem there, thanks.

This one is working nicely for me to control expression, vibrato, volume etc. in Logic: https://us.novationmusic.com/launch/launch-control-xl#

It's solid feeling with smooth faders (fairly short; about 60mm, but that works for me), plays nicely with Logic, has a Mac editor ... and lots of extra knobs and buttons for other stuff like VI parameters if you are feeling synthy.

A whole lot better than the Behringer, which is old by today's standards, and funky with Logic. $150.
This one was on my list. But I thought is didn't have comprehensive editing for assigning cc's, but from your post sounds like it does, just found out a composer here in Nashville that I know uses the Launch Control XL, too. I should check that out at his place. The Behringer X-Touch Compact we've been discussing is the new one from this last summer, not the old old one. Nice to have running MC Control and in an instant back to custom cc's setup, few units do that, you often have to re-boot the hardware to get into the different mode. Plus the knobs have light rings for settings reference.

Very good per the additional videos posted above.

I am using the Compact 16 knobs and many buttons to control my U-he, Serum, Arcsyn, Logic, etc. softsynths. Faders 1-7 for Midi CC's, Fader 8 and master for current channel and master, and transport for transport. With a Ipad and keyboard for Logic Remote shortcuts, Kaoss pad for X/Y, and a Nanokontrol for misc. I am very happy with my control options now.

One caveat is the Behringer mac editor still has not been released and its been over a year now. I asked service about it and got the typical patronizing no ETA reply. Still I find you can do almost everything you want using using Logics own Controller Assignment function.

I just got the X-Touch Compact today. I'm finding that when the faders are used for controlling cc's, they don't follow the automation on playback. Only mixing in Mackie Control mode do the motorized faders follow automation. Is it that way for you? I'm hoping to find out how to get faders to follow all automation.

Thanks,
Paul

I just got a Platform M on test. Unfortunately Im on Mac so no iMap SW.

Does anyone know how I could get this thing working as a CC controller without iMap. I'm on Logic x.

Worked straight out of the box for mixing and seems great in that regard. If I cant control midi though and there's no ETA on iMap for Mac it will have to go back :-(

Im also looking for one. I would stay away from motorized faders though since they offer no resistance when moving them manually with your hands.

I gave the Platform back as without Mac software it was looking a bit iffy. If you only want something for mixing and can get the faders to sit still if tracking in the same room it's probably a great buy.

Got the Nectar P1 after Christof's recommendation and love it. Does everything you would hope. Cc control, mix control and transport....

Move the parameter that you want to control then go to logic X control surfaces
/learn assignment. It should list the parameter that you moved then move the physical slider on your control device and you should see the assignment come up.

="Ron Kords, post: 4033725, member: 13698"]I just got a Platform M on test. Unfortunately Im on Mac so no iMap SW.

Does anyone know how I could get this thing working as a CC controller without iMap. I'm on Logic x.

Worked straight out of the box for mixing and seems great in that regard. If I cant control midi though and there's no ETA on iMap for Mac it will have to go back :-https://hexler.net/software/touchosc([/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Move the parameter that you want to then go to logic X control surfaces
/learn assignment. It should list the parameter that you moved then move the physical slider on your control device and you should see the assignment come up.

="Ron Kords, post: 4033725, member: 13698"]I just got a Platform M on test. Unfortunately Im on Mac so no iMap SW.

Worked straight out of the box for mixing and seems great in that regard. If I cant control midi though and there's no ETA on iMap for Mac it will have to go back :-https://hexler.net/software/touchosc(
[/QUOTE]
Thanks Synthpunk. Finally worked that out after much head scratching... :)

For sure a great little box. May take another look when Mac SW arrives....

Like you all, couldn't find something that represented simplisticity, minimalistic and elegant. So I built my own. Simple matte black cnc aluminium enclosure, 100mm faders x 8. Currently in completion.

Would have purchased the JL Cooper Masterfader, however didn't personally feel it deserved its price tag.

My custom controller fits my needs.
Modulation : Expression : Volume : Mic Postions plus additional faders

Did you ever finish this? Would love to see it.

Thank you.

Electronics - Teensy 3.2 https://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy32.jpg

Encoded the software using Arduino / Teensyduino. The assignment of the faders was set up in the coding stage. Very simple to reassign, then upload the new code to the Teensy 3.2. The is no software needed to run the device, other than when coding setup.

It's a plug and play device.

So are you taking orders from us? How much to build us one?

There was no original intent to advertise and take orders however if there are enough willing customers (minimum 25 orders - to make it manufacturally cost effective and feasible), i'd definitely consider setting some time aside to create a small production of these.

There was no original intent to advertise and take orders however if there are enough willing customers (minimum 25 orders - to make it manufacturally cost effective and feasible), i'd definitely consider setting some time aside to create a small production of these.

Well, depending on the price, I am interested.

Top Bottom