1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nearest to the Stars - Cinematic Timelapse Track

Discussion in 'Member's Compositions' started by XiphiasAudio, Jun 13, 2018.

1. XiphiasAudio

XiphiasAudio Senior Member

Sep 11, 2015
    Hey Everyone,

Been a little bit since I've posted anything here as I haven't had internet for a good few months! I just wanted to share a track with you all, I think this is my first track that I am actually truly proud of that I think may actually be getting close to some of the other stuff that I hear from everyone on here!

I'm really glad that I've been accepted with this track into a library, (my very first) as I've been working at doing this for a good 4-5 years now. This is also the longest track that I've ever worked on. It's taken me a good month and a half to finish perfecting all the curves and getting it all sounding nice and in shape.

If you want to watch as well, I was inspired to the following timelapse:
    (NOTE THIS IS NOT MY VIDEO AND DEFINITELY NOT MY MUSIC!!)

Thanks for listening and I present to you guys, Nearest to the Stars!

Thanks,
    Rowan S

2. benyamind

benyamind Member

Jun 13, 2018
    Now that is a dope piece. Love the whole orchestration. Definitely gives me the feeling of 'and as man embarked on the greatest...' You did capture a very timeless feeling and that is not easy. Bravo.

One Note; I think you got minor limiting issues. A good place to notice is 0:43 where the two deep drum-hits hit. Right there pay attention to how the horn unnaturally dips a tiny bit, maybe -0.5 decibels. In general the piece is loud, that's ok it can work, but I spotted some of these moments here and there.

XiphiasAudio likes this.
  3. Grim_Universe

Grim_Universe Senior Member

I heard the "Awakening" track years ago and it sounded really nice and inspiring to me. Now I can hear that it is really similar to the stuff that Hans Zimmer did. Well it sounds so good even today... A top notch production, nothing to add.

Your track in comparison with the original one lacks a feeling of breath, you know? The original one feels like it breathes, like every instrument there is part of the whole organism. And there are no catchy melodies in your track unfortunately. After listening to your track nothing plays in my head, you know? And this is the biggest difference from the original!

While I understand, that creating catchy harmony and melodies is a really tough work and requires inspiration and luck, you clearly can make your track better, if you'll check FabFilter videos about a mixing process. You just destroyed your sound. Limiting or compression or whatever is just extreme. Well I can't say anything about EQ, because I didn't hear the ogirinal version (before mixing), so yeah. Just be more gentle with your sound.. Before doing something ask yourself: "Why should I do this?"..

Good luck! Your track is a big step towards the Sound, but you still have to go some distance.. :)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  4. OP
    OP
    XiphiasAudio

XiphiasAudio Senior Member

Sep 11, 2015
    Thanks mate, I decided to try using compression creatively as a bit of a resource and experimenting with the way that it gave a slight duck to the entire track, I kind of liked that flavour to be honest. I guess I decided to choose to leave it because of the impact that it was able to deliver. Just a creative choice I guess :emoji_thumbsup:

Space is always the most difficult thing for me, I think I will always be wanting to fill the gaps with music naturally and so to produce something and then learn to step back and listen to the music take its course is a lesson that I'm still trying to learn!
    I feel that this is a lot more difficult to create a, for lack of a better word, "organic" sound with samples in the sense that after a few bars or renditions of the same music which Hans does include with his Science and Religion track in the Awakening video I have linked, it becomes quite difficult to maintain an interest without an evolving texture. I guess I find myself a little bit limited in that regard as I have both the knowledge and resources at the moment to provide such ideas! I shall however work harder to achieve a sound that is comparable to the greats and I feel that I am a large step closer compared to my previous works.

Thanks again for your comments!