What's new

Native Instruments Symphony Percussion

porrasm

Native Instruments is doing a 50% thanksgiving sale on some products including the Symphony Series. I'm in need of an orchestral percussion library. I have the Symphony Essentials (which I don't like at all) and I'm sceptical about this percussion library.

How does it compare to other alternatives like Spitfire Percussion (Redux) or CinePerc?

I'm on a budget and the SS percussion is 150€ while Spitfire Percussion is 280€ for me after the student discount. Is it worth going for Spitfire or should I pick this up?

Also how wet is it? Can't really tell from the demos.

bryla

If on a budget you get the most Bang for the buck in Rhapsody Percussion. I know it doesn't answer your question but apart from lacking Celesta and vibes it covers everything else in my template.

Mike Fox

ProjectSAM's True Strike is still the best percussion for the price, imho.

I don't have any experience with NI's Symphony Percussion though.

OP
P

porrasm

If on a budget you get the most Bang for the buck in Rhapsody Percussion. I know it doesn't answer your question but apart from lacking Celesta and vibes it covers everything else in my template.
I've heard good things about it. I wish I saw the VST buzz deal last February when it was 83% off... I really like the Spitfire Percussion but the price is also a lot higher. If I don't get the Symphony Percussion I'll wait a month (or two) in case there are any Christmas sales.

ProjectSAM's True Strike is still the best percussion for the price, imho.

I don't have any experience with NI's Symphony Percussion though.
I'll check out an overview and some demos.

MillsMixx

Production Director/Sound Designer
I was really hoping there would be 50% off on Komplete upgrades but it looks like that's not part of the Thanksgiving sale this year. Oh well, I'll hold out til around summer.

Land of Missing Parts

flibbertigibbet
Native Instruments is doing a 50% thanksgiving sale on some products including the Symphony Series. I'm in need of an orchestral percussion library. I have the Symphony Essentials (which I don't like at all) and I'm sceptical about this percussion library.

How does it compare to other alternatives like Spitfire Percussion (Redux) or CinePerc?

I'm on a budget and the SS percussion is 150€ while Spitfire Percussion is 280€ for me after the student discount. Is it worth going for Spitfire or should I pick this up?

SS Percussion is resale friendly, so if you want to buy it then move up to Spitfire or Cineperc, you can resell it and make your money back. True Strike is resellable too, but can only be sold once per license and for a fee I believe. It's probably a bit better of a library in terms of sound, however it's missing a few modern innovations that SS has.

I use SS as my primary percussion at the moment. It's good for skins and cymbals, not so good for pitched percussion.

Here are some thoughts on SS Perc I wrote a few months ago:

I got NI Percussion Full for $100 and I think it's worth it for that price if you need the core articulations for snares, cymbals, timpani, etc. The pitched percussion isn't great, so I'd recommend going elsewhere for vibes, marimba, celeste.

But there are useful features like modwheel controlled rolls and cymbal swells, and the resonance builder. The timpani is decent for my tastes, though some might find it a little on the dull side. I think the NI Percussion is decent with some interesting innovative features but not a home run.

Last edited:

sostenuto

Big NKS Fan !
NI Percussion @ $149.50 vs Strike Bundle @ $249.
To each his /her own.... but I struggle with the extra $100.

No animosity here and hoping or knowledgeable explanation supporting Strike 1&2.

markleake

Recovering sale addict
I have the NI SS percussion, and don't mind it. It's a mixed bag, some parts are good, some parts, like a few of the tuned percussions, are pretty bad. The timpani can sound good, but don't sound the same as most timpani in other libraries... you don't get the nice bright resonance that you might want from them (depending on taste). On the other hand, the Timpani do lend themselves, due to the tone, to more nuanced work that other libraries might have problems with. Cymbals can be good, although they also have their own "tone" to them that differs a bit from other libraries. The snares I really like - they sound great!

So basically, like I said, it's a mixed bag. Good as a basic library, but you'll soon be wanting better if you use it a lot. I'd suggest skipping SS percussion and go for Spitfire or the other alternatives mentioned here, if you intend to make a fair bit of use out of the library. There are some more useful parts, but I see SS percussion as mostly a stepping stone to a better library.

sostenuto

Big NKS Fan !
I have the SS percussion, and don't mind it. It's a mixed bag, some parts are good, some parts, like a few of the tuned percussions, are pretty bad. The timpani can sound good, but don't sound the same as most timpani in other libraries... you don't get the nice bright resonance that you might want from them (depending on taste). On the other hand, the Timpani do lend themselves, due to the tone, to more nuanced work that other libraries might have problems with. Cymbals can be good, although they also have their own "tone" to them that differs a bit from other libraries. The snares I really like.

So basically, like I said, it's a mixed bag. Good as a basic library, but you'll soon be wanting better if you use it a lot. I'd suggest skipping SS percussion and go for Spitfire or the other alternatives mentioned here, if you intend to make good use out of the library. There are some more useful parts, but I see SS percussion as mostly a stepping stone to a better library.
Thank-you Mark! Current 'normal' to have multiples of everything, yet sensible over several genres, workflows, etc.

LADD is main Percussion tool, and uncertain whether SS Percussion is worth a serious look/listen at current promo cost.
Not astute enough to know if NI adds by layering, or using specific 'strength' parts.

SoNowWhat?

realised I can type here

I came close to getting NI SS perc about this time last year (think it was a similar offer). However, SF Joby Redux went on sale around the same time. I looked for everything I could find on Symphony Series and SF Redux and ended up with the SF. I like it very much for an orchestral library and though I never ended up with the NI SS I feel like I made the correct choice. Obviously SF is quite wet with Air Lyndhurst. Mic options can clean up things a bit though.

Is LADD still on sale? That's worth a look too. At mid $200s I thought it looked like great value. I couldn't justify getting it at the moment though given the perc that I already have.

SoNowWhat?

realised I can type here
Thank-you Mark! Current 'normal' to have multiples of everything, yet sensible over several genres, workflows, etc.

LADD is main Percussion tool, and uncertain whether SS Percussion is worth a serious look/listen at current promo cost.
Not astute enough to know if NI adds by layering, or using specific 'strength' parts.
My feeling, if I were in your position with LADD I'd pass. But, that's me.

OP
P

porrasm

SS Percussion is resale friendly, so if you want to buy it then move up to Spitfire or Cineperc, you can resell it and make your money back. True Strike is resellable too, but can only be sold once per license and for a fee I believe. It's probably a bit better of a library in terms of sound, however it's missing a few modern innovations that SS has.

I use SS as my primary percussion at the moment. It's good for skins and cymbals, not so good for pitched percussion.

Here are some thoughts on SS Perc I wrote a few months ago:

I got NI Percussion Full for $100 and I think it's worth it for that price if you need the core articulations for snares, cymbals, timpani, etc. The pitched percussion isn't great, so I'd recommend going elsewhere for vibes, marimba, celeste.

But there are useful features like modwheel controlled rolls and cymbal swells, and the resonance builder. The timpani is decent for my tastes, though some might find it a little on the dull side. I think the NI Percussion is decent with some interesting innovative features but not a home run.
Huh, didn't remember you could resell NI licenses. It would make a good ''placeholder" library.

richardt4520

@Land of Missing Parts I bought the essentials for $39 secondhand a while back, partially due to your review. I don't use much tuned percussion and have EWHP if I need it in a pinch. I was pretty impressed by the clarity in relation to EW. It sounds a little more 3d so I jumped on the full version yesterday. Haven't had a chance to check it out yet since I was finishing a track and then updated Cubase. Hopefully this will be a decent upgrade for EWHP, which sounds ok but a little grainy/cloudy to me.

sostenuto

Big NKS Fan !
My interest is mainly 'buried' in question of Upgrading from K11U to K12U or K12U-Collectors Edition; for additional $200. Having only SS_Essentials now, this would add all of Symphony Series, plus 50 Expansions of undetermined interest.

Bottom line leans toward Collectors Edition which adds SS_Percussion.

Last edited:

Guitarman76

Is it correct that you can only buy CinePerc as a big bundle now which costs a whopping $799 ????!!!!
I really wanted to buy CinePerc Epic but no way I can afford that whole bundle!

Top Bottom