Native Instruments / Soniccouture sale 2019

soniccouture

Curious how useful people have found Konkrete to be? When I first looked at it, I thought I really don't need yet another drum sample library. And listening to the Soniccouture video, I'm not that impressed with the showcased kits.

But I'm intrigued by the Euclidean sequencer.

I just tried out the Euclidean beats feature in Samulnori, and I've spent the last 10 minutes listening to this progressively varying beat. Suddenly I want more!

Is it a useful library sound-wise? Is the Euclidean sequencer useful as well or just a gimmick in the long-run?
Hi there,
Euclid is indeed a very useful and inspiring tool - it's also very practical, in terms of building a composition.
However, you might be misunderstanding it a little here - a Euclid groove does not evolve, as such, although you do certainly get variation from bar to bar if you set up rhythms that 'loop' differently against one another - but these variations will repeat once Euclid gets to the end of its pattern.

Our evolving beat tool is Beat Shifter - a more traditional step sequencer where you can set hits to move around from bar to bar, or not sound, or vary velocity.

Konkrete: if you don't like the sound of the kits I wouldn't recommend you buy it! If you want the most evolved and powerful version of Euclid / Beat Shifter / Poly Beats then get Moonkits. These versions have 8 tracks instead of the 6 in our older products, and preset saving and loading as well as some other tweaks.

The big advantage of the Beat Tols is that you can drag the MIDI straight out and use it with othersounds of your own, or route the MIDI directly out of Kontakt to trigger another isntrument live ( as long as you don't use Logic which can't do this.)

James

unclecheeks

Curious how useful people have found Konkrete to be? When I first looked at it, I thought I really don't need yet another drum sample library. And listening to the Soniccouture video, I'm not that impressed with the showcased kits.

But I'm intrigued by the Euclidean sequencer.

I just tried out the Euclidean beats feature in Samulnori, and I've spent the last 10 minutes listening to this progressively varying beat. Suddenly I want more!

Is it a useful library sound-wise? Is the Euclidean sequencer useful as well or just a gimmick in the long-run?
FYI, in case you’re not aware, you can also use the Euclidean sequencer to trigger other samplers and synths if you enable the “send midi to outside world” feature in kontakt preferences. Then you just tap into the midi out as you wish in your DAW. It works with the sequencer in Box Of Tricks, so I imagine that’s probably the case with the other ones as well.

wst3

my office these days
I have a ton of their libraries, and thus far the only one that really didn't live up to expectations was Konkrete, and I suspect that is more on me than on them.

Moon Drums is intriguing... not sure what to do about that. There are a couple others on sale that are also interesting.

What to do!

Mark Schmieder

See my initial review of the Gretsch brush kit in MoonKits over at the product announcement, which Soniccouture posted a bit after this thread started so I thought it more appropriate to post there as it might help sales. I'll be reviewing the Gretsch rods kit in real-world use later today.

As for Konkrete, it went through a number of revisions. I can't remember if I ended up using it for anything, but I dislike Battery since its v4 update so have been moving away from it for the very few projects where I want some sort of trash kit or experimental percussion.

Maiestic9

I've been intrigued by these guys for a couple years but haven't bought anything. Thinking of going for the premium collection.
Biggest no brainer ever . So much bang for the buck . Will be one of the least regretted purchases you ever make. I just purchased it and already owned 5 of the best libraries in it and it has still been well worth it .

dzilizzi

I just hang around pretending I know something
Truthfully, even if you only use 5 or 6 of the libraries, it is worth it. I find myself using Haunted Spaces often and when I got it last year I wanted to trade it for Geosonics. Didn’t think I would use it. So you never know what you will like in the end.

ender7

Biggest no brainer ever . So much bang for the buck . Will be one of the least regretted purchases you ever make. I just purchased it and already owned 5 of the best libraries in it and it has still been well worth it .
Which of the 5 libraries are these? And if you don’t mind me asking what type of music do you make?

I’ve come close to pulling the trigger both this time and last time, but I feel the bundle
isn’t quite right for me both times. So I was thinking I should wait till the next go around which might include more of the instruments I want.

I've also been debating back and forth on the bundle. I know it's a good deal, but I wonder if I'll actually get use out of the instruments. It seems like a lot of them are great for "atmospheric" scoring, but I am not doing a lot of that right now.

The instruments that appeal to me the most are the marimba and vibraphone, as they both sound excellent, along with Box of Tricks.

Still, with the onslaught of Black Friday and likely end-of-year releases from Orchestral Tools, I'm not sure I want to part with $350 yet. I'm really on the fence. Hoping someone can push me either way.

dzilizzi

I just hang around pretending I know something
Well, if you like the Balenese Gamelan, it is rarely on sale. It is a fancier version of the one in Kontakt (Ultimate?). I love the Vibraphone and Morpheus. And the Marimba. I also use the Pan Drums. LOL! I do love their percussive products the most. For me, the Canterbury Suitcase is only okay. But, I’m not big on synths. Others really love it.

Box of tricks has a lot of stuff in it, but I tend to forget about it. Some good, some meh. I probably should use it more. It’s a good deal, but I can see starting with one. What kind of music do you do?

ender7

Well, if you like the Balenese Gamelan, it is rarely on sale. It is a fancier version of the one in Kontakt (Ultimate?).
I wish it was the full version! but I'm pretty sure it is only the exact same version that NI already includes in their bundle and sells on their site. They list it as "DISCOVERY SERIES: BALINESE GAMELAN", however the full version is "BALINESE GAMELAN II". I'm actually really interested in the Gamelan and was ready to get the bundle until I found this out. I already have the Discovery Series version from Komplete though.

Edit: maybe someone who has purchased the bundle can confirm.

Last edited:

DervishCapkiner

Does anyone use the samulnori percussion, the tingklik or the skiddaw stones at all?
If so, can I ask how dynamic each feel to play with?

Thanks,
D

Braveheart

Ok folks, last day for this sale. Who ended up getting the premium bundle? Impressions? I’m still undecided!
Bought it last time, and it’s a great bundle. I already owned some of them, Soniccouture allowed me some swapping.

But if you’re unsure, you may be better skipping paying so much money.

shponglefan

Ok folks, last day for this sale. Who ended up getting the premium bundle? Impressions? I’m still undecided!
I bought it. I didn't have any previous Soniccourture libraries so I figured why not just buy almost everything. It's only money after all. ;)

In terms of usefullness the three libraries that have stood out to me which include:

Haunted Spaces - I always love having more atmospheric textures 'n pads, and this library fits the bill in spades. I'll probably also pick up Geosonics if it ever goes on sale.

Pan Drums - I only have one other Hang library (8dio) and it's one of my favorite instruments, so having more options is great.

Samulnori Percussion - This one was a surprise for me. What I really love is the inclusion of the Euclidean sequencer which allows for interesting grooves that I might not otherwise come up with via traditional MIDI sequencing or playing.

As for the rest, I haven't done too deep a dive yet. Some stuff I'm covered with other libraries (e.g. all the tuned percussion), but having a few more options never hurts. Other stuff like the synth simulations in The Attic 2 I'll probably never use.

Last edited:

soniccouture

I bought it. I didn't have any previous Soniccourture libraries so I figured why not just buy almost everything. It's only money after all. ;)

In terms of usefullness the three libraries that have stood out to me which include:

Haunted Spaces - I always love having more atmospheric textures 'n pads, and this library fits the bill in spades. I'll probably also pick up Geosonics if it ever goes on sale.

Pan Drums - I only have one other Hang library (8dio) and it's one of my favorite instruments, so having more options is great.

Samulnori Percussion - This one was a surprise for me. What I really love is the inclusion of the Euclidean sequencer which allows for interesting grooves that I might not otherwise come up with via traditional MIDI sequencing or playing.

As for the rest, I haven't done too deep a dive yet. Some stuff I'm covered with other libraries (e.g. all the tuned percussion), but having a few more options never hurts. Other stuff like the synth simulations in The Attic 2 I'll probably never use.
Thanks for ordering, hope you enjoy it. There's a LOT of sounds there.
Love to hear feedback.

James