What's new

Native Instruments lays off 100 people

From what i read, it's a just a different product.

Do they specifically say "not compatible with LASS 2"?

If so, they probably only meant the Kontakt Player that was available when LASS 2 came out.
Users who don't own Kontakt (full), and still only have the Kontakt Player that was around when LASS 2 came out, will need to download the most recent Kontakt Player which will work for both products.

Maybe that's it.
not 100% sure, but when I mentioned the compatibility issue, he mentioned something about having to redo or at least rework the template. Didn't get into too many specifics...it's gonna be released from what they said, after the new year, but it's definitely coming. I couldn't wait in the meantime...LOl I was gonna try for LASS 2, but their list of articulations is a bit lacking for my needs at the moment.

Ah, in that case it's related to how the library itself works.
But since there's no real standard articulations or other features in orchestral libraries, i guess upgrading users should not be too upset about it, considering the changes are probably for the better.

Reading that most of the layoffs are mostly happening in Germany, I wonder if the tax situation has something to do with it. Right after Denmark, Germany is to most expensive place to have employees. Unfortunately, the German goverment does not care (until everything goes downhill). NI is among many other companies which have announced laying off staff over here.

Reading that most of the layoffs are mostly happening in Germany, I wonder if the tax situation has something to do with it. Right after Denmark, Germany is to most expensive place to have employees. Unfortunately, the German goverment does not care (until everything goes downhill). NI is among many other companies which have announced laying off staff over here.

LOL, come to my country, goverment takes almost 50% of everything, you need to be a magician to survive.

I don't know, I've read their corporate statement in detail several times by now, and each time I do, I come to the conclusion that "platform" refers not to stuff like Kontakt, but the sales-oriented side of things, such as the internal company partnerships, how things are sold and packaged and bundled as well as linked to/from other sites, more than anything else. And also the impact on third-party licensing and how that is handled, verified, validated, renewed, etc.

Sure, bud. All these massive tax hikes in the last few weeks and months make it basically impossible to employ anyone. No wonder NI has to layoff people now. Oh, wait, didn't happen.
And the unemployment rate is skyrocketing like never before. Oh, wait, it's pretty much stable.

Perhaps you would like to reserve your paranoia for the political sub-forum? Just so we don't have to suffer this nonsense.

Well, I am fairly certain that Statistica hosts the correct data to which I was referring.
we have steinberg and the apple logic developers in hamburg. ableton + u-he in berlin. celemony in munich. Access/Kemper/Walldorf/RME/Sennheiser/SPL/Neumann, they all recruit and develop here in Germany. - send them your statistics, i'm sure they'll thank you for your insides ;)
the statistics you are referring offset the combined costs for the employee AND the employer. it is meaningless for your case. also it doesn't take into account that for instance a health insurance is mandatory in germany whereas in other countries it's optional. Here, the employer pays approx 50% of your health care, elsewhere the employer pays nothing. you cannot simply compare those things ...

Last edited:
Unified Platform always means "new version of a thing that now does some of the things in the product we cancelled but not the thing you need it to do and also now it crashes a lot".

I was saving my pennies for a Maschine but I'm gonna put that on indefinite hold because NI already has a reputation for abandoning their hardware stuff and I'm sure we're gonna see more of that now.

Hmmm......the only exception to that may be RME. Yamaha is king in doorstops for me.

LOL, come to my country, goverment takes almost 50% of everything, you need to be a magician to survive.
Can I hire you for a children's birthday then? Considering that you're still alive... Sorry, I get a bit pissy these days with all the constant hyperbole.

Business as usual. Kontakt is alive and well and a staple of NI's catalogue as well as Reaktor. They aren't going anywhere.

Nice to see someone not pushing the panic button.

The latest trend in DAW paranoia is the subscription model. There is a developer out there that raised prices in order to "force" those into a sub. You wont see the negativity on their FB page.

The advantage I could see on most subscriptions is it would be a great cure for my G.A.S. and would buy less and actually use what I have.

My other thoughts are I hope if more companies going subscrption without the option to buy that it fails big time. Let's just say this becomes the norm, there are plenty of smaller developers that will market "no subscription needed". I've seen something similar with the "no dongle required".

Smaller developers making great stuff is putting a dent in the big boys.

I can't see something like Maschine going the way of Kore either.

NI have posted a new message to the community following their press release:

Between the lines I see the subscription model coming next year. They are not denying this, just telling they won't charge subscriptions for products we already own. Well, okay. My only concern is how they will handle product updates for non-subscribers.

I took a survey a few years back when Native Access was new (and in beta), and said I was not interested in subscriptions, for the same reasons I tell Adobe (though Adobe doesn't listen; whereas the audio vendors are pretty good at respecting their customers). Since that time, I have signed on to Slate's and Plug-in Alliance's, even though I already owned perpetual licenses for most of their stuff.

I tend to do bi-annual updates to Komplete, so it might work out productively, but I also don't like most of what's in Komplete and am using less and less of it all the time, other than for FM8, Kontakt, and sometimes Massive and Absynth (though less than before). So I think I would have a different formula for making that decision than I did for Slate and Plug-in Alliance, as well as Roland.

I haven't used my Slate products in two years, since joining the subscription, but use Plug-in Alliance stuff now and then -- I'm still on an extended break from from slowing myself down with production work, but I may get back to it next year now that I feel I have reached good stopping points for "when is it good enough" regarding mock-up parts.

I only recently signed up for Roland Cloud, and it was only because they no longer offer perpetual licenses and they had a one-time discount on a two-year license. I may not use any of it though; I try to avoid repeating sounds, and may have already maxed out my use of their soft synths.

Oh yeah, for NI there's also stuff I've used a bit but might not use any further due to repetition of sound between musical projects: Action Strikes, Rise & Hit, and the like.

For individuals vs. businesses, I generally don't like subscriptions because they lock us into a non-discretionary budget, and most of us in my position have sporadic intervals of time that aren't always easy to predict (vs. someone running a studio, who doesn't have a "day job" that is different).

Top Bottom