Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol & Kontakt 6

mrc

Just sorry to ask this newbie question, but there is some kind soul who can explain in a few clear words the main differences between Komplete Kontrol and Kontakt 6 (paid versions)?

Thanks!

j_kranz

Komplete Kontrol is't really an instrument itself, but more a utility used to browse your instruments (and the presets/patches made for those instruments). It can be used with one of the NI Komplete Kontrol keyboards to browse presets from the physical keyboard as well. It has other features, but these are the main ones.

Kontakt is an instrument, it's a sampler used to host many of the virtual instruments that you see advertised and discussed on this forum. Kontakt can run and be browsed through the Komplete Kontrol utility (as can the other NI instruments).

Hope that helps.

OP
M

mrc

Thanks for your reply, now I understand the differences better!

- m.

Komplete Kontrol is't really an instrument itself, but more a utility used to browse your instruments (and the presets/patches made for those instruments). It can be used with one of the NI Komplete Kontrol keyboards to browse presets from the physical keyboard as well. It has other features, but these are the main ones.

Kontakt is an instrument, it's a sampler used to host many of the virtual instruments that you see advertised and discussed on this forum. Kontakt can run and be browsed through the Komplete Kontrol utility (as can the other NI instruments).

Hope that helps.

AndreasHe

If you have a keyboard from NI, with Kontrol you also have the LED light guide which indicates on which keys samples are located. (often in different colors)..

But in KK you can only load one instrument. In Kontakt, you may add more at once.

telecode101

Komplete Kontrol is a little like Arturia's Analog Lab IMO. Its a software solution and interface to access and interact with the other instruments that come in the package. But it also adds functionality that doesn't exist if you launch the instruments on their own. Loading the instruments in Komplete control gives you access to a preset and browser interface experience that is easier to navigate than loading the VST on its own. It also gives you access to MIDI learn interface and arpegiator that doesn't exist in the VST in some cases.

AndreasHe

And don't forget the preview. For me it is very usefull, as there are so many different sounds and first loading them takes time. Here you can click through or use the wheel on a NI Keyboard to hear the sound before loading the instrument.

For a long time I just loaded Kontakt directly, but now I more and more go back to KK as there are so nice features in. For sure, the CPU load is a bit higher than without it. And the overview of instruments are also not good organized (no folders inside an instrument).

There is also a favorite tag you can set. I use it a lot to get a list of handselected set of "I like it" presets.

As mentioned, the highest benefit you will get out of it, if you own a NI hardware.

Check out this picture from NI, where you can see the listed and loaded instruments also in the keyboard display:

2020-09-07 16_31_30-Keyboards _ Komplete Kontrol S49_s61 _ Komplete.png

Details: https://www.native-instruments.com/de/products/komplete/keyboards/komplete-kontrol-s49-s61/

TigerTheFrog

Reid Rosefelt
Also, Komplete Kontrol is not just about browsing.

All the instruments that have the Komplete Kontrol certification NKS have the knobs on the keyboard pre-mapped to the parameters on the keyboard. Some do a better job at this than others.

KK can control many things on certain DAWs, including Cubase, from transport, quantizing, to mixing.

Finally, instruments and libraries don't need to be made by NI or even be Kontakt to get NKS. Companies like Arturia, AAS, and ujam are not Kontakt, but have some or all of their instruments in Komplete Kontrol.