Native acess : installing NI library without redownloading them ?

Discussion in 'KONTAKT: Sampling, Programming & Scripting' started by leon chevalier, Oct 6, 2017.

1. OP
    OP
    leon chevalier

leon chevalier Cinematic Studio Bumper

Nov 19, 2015
    France
    The solution offered by NI is to uninstall your current konatkt, reinstall kontakt 5.6.6 to get the old "Locate" button, to add the libraries and at to reinstall the latest kontakt : https://support.native-instruments....re-Already-Installed-on-a-Separate-Hard-Drive

2. Mr. Ha

Mr. Ha Senior Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Thanks for the reply! Seems like a lot of work though. I guess I'll just re download the factory library if I have time and use other samples for the time being. If I re download kontakt, will the instruments in old projects not work properly or will it think it's the same file as the names will be the same?

3. OP
    OP
    leon chevalier

Nov 19, 2015
    France
    If you downgrade kontakt, add your lib, and re-upgrade kontakt, you will not have problem with your projects. (The kontakt dll will be changed twice but the last one will be the good one.)

If you decide to stay with the old kontakt version to keep the "Add Library" button all the libraries released after this old version will not work. (The kontakt player ones at least)

4. whinecellar

whinecellar Jim Daneker

Perfect summary. This is an all-time head scratcher, to put it kindly. I’m close to having to upgrade my main DAW machine and reconfiguring my whole slave network, which means moving all my libraries around 5 machines. This issue could make that simply undoable if I want to get any work done this *year.* What a fiasco!!! The old system worked easily and flawlessly - what on earth were they thinking?!

MartinH. and Quasar like this.
  5. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    It was a "perfectly running activation system" until they weren't able to add new products to the catalog because the scheme didn't support letters, only numbers, and only first 4 numbers were product IDs - that means once 1000 products are released, no more serials could be issued, which means no new products... The whole system was gasping for a reboot.

6. whinecellar

whinecellar Jim Daneker

OK, fair enough, but the new system was the best solution they could come up with? Respectfully, not buying it for a second. These guys are bright minds, and this is a cluster that affects working professionals in a big way!

MartinH. and Quasar like this.
  7. Quasar

Quasar Senior Member

Jun 26, 2012
    And they couldn't have simply updated their license number formula without completely abandoning their policies and procedures regarding how libraries are activated?

It would be an understatement to say that this strains credibility...

8. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    Polls were done and offline users ended up being an extreme minority. So, not a huge loss profit-wise for NI, apparently.

9. Quasar

Quasar Senior Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Of course. It's perfectly okay to sell-out former customers and impose intrusive, draconian privacy-violating systems as long as it doesn't bother so many people that profits are not too adversely affected.

Who the fuck cares about the rights of minorities?

Gileno likes this.
  10. whinecellar

whinecellar Jim Daneker

Even so, forcing the majority to re-download dozens (if not hundreds) of large sample libraries just to move them around?! Or the “workaround” of temporarily downgrading then re-upgrading, etc.? That’s just not an option for anyone trying to work.

Mr. Ha likes this.
  11. Pablocrespo

Pablocrespo Senior Member

Mario, I am not offline.

I just have some libraries in my hd that I want to re listen to add to my template (didn’t installed them when I build my new system).

So I have to re download then? I have them there in my hd! There should be a “locate” or something in native access

12. I can attest to this, had this exact scenario last night. It is a HUGE productivity killer. NI needs to go back to the way it previously worked.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  13. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    In a profit-driven world? You can answer that for yourself...

You don't have to redownload. Just download the 5.6.6 version from NI's website and downgrade temporarily. PROTIP: After you downgrade, copy the Kontakt 5.exe somewhere else and rename it! This executable can be copied to other systems and used to add libraries on other systems as well. There is no need to redownload on every system you have.

All it takes you is one downgrade of the system, then upgrading back to the latest version - you do this exactly once. You can re-add libraries on your other computers by copying Kontakt 5.6.6's executable on those other machines.

And for the record, I do agree that this workaround shouldn't be there. Eventually it won't be necessary, I'm pretty sure.

MartinH. likes this.
  14. Quasar

Quasar Senior Member

Jun 26, 2012
    LOL yes I can.

If profit is more important than people, if greed is more important than justice, if the value of money becomes God, transcending any and all other notions of right vs. wrong, then it really just becomes a question for each individual: Is such evil to be embraced and accepted? Or is it to be resisted?

15. dzilizzi

dzilizzi I know nothing

Feb 27, 2017
    Somewhere near Los Angeles
    Just a note to PC users with the libraries on an external drive. You may want to give a permanent drive letter to your drive before doing this. Windows is known to reassign drive letters if your drive gets unplugged - this is probably more for laptop users. Kontakt looks for the letter and the file name and if the letter changes, nothing will work.

Also, plug any named drives in first, unless you name them something like Z.

16. Polkasound

Polkasound Senior Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI
    Large businesses are driven by investors, and investors care about one thing and one thing only: maximizing profit. They don't care how many of that business' customers are spurned or pushed to the wayside in the quest for profit... which is usually the complete opposite of how small businesses operate. Investors look only at the numbers, and big businesses must answer to their investors before answering to their customers.

17. Ashermusic

Ashermusic Senior Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Los Angeles

Which is why most of my favorite developers are small: Fluffy Audio, Indiginus, Pettinhouse, etc. But unfortunately, the engines that run them mostly are by companies that are not.

Quasar and Polkasound like this.
  18. chrisphan

chrisphan Senior Member

Nov 30, 2016
    The funny thing is the way I have to add each library one by one in Kontakt 5.6 was never even my favorite. But they managed to make it even worse and 5.6 becomes the good way to do it now...

19. OP
    OP
    leon chevalier

Nov 19, 2015
    France
    Very true, and I never understood why they did not put a "scan folder" button instead of having to add the lib one by one :confused:
    but now that doesn't matter anymore :shocked:

20. Quasar

Quasar Senior Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Yes, this is factually true about how large, corporatized business who pay dividends to stockholders operate. Of course, what one thinks of this model, whether it's a good thing or a bad thing; what role in society it should play or whether or not it should play any role at all is politically charged, and a matter for another kind of discussion...

...Suffice to say that I am one of the customers who has been spurned and pushed to the wayside, and consequently continue to have an attitude toward NI that one might expect one to reasonably have under such circumstances...

whinecellar likes this.