What's new

Nakedboards MC-8

Kirk1701

You need to use the webpage on their site to assign the CCs to specific CC values. Or use MIDI learn in your DAW / instruments to attach parameters to the CCs it already has set on it.

Thank you! I did go to the website. It seemed to be straightforward, but the patching/connecting in Reaper is a little more elusive.

I'd be happy with a link to a tutorial video, if one such thing existed.

OP
AdamKmusic

AdamKmusic

Thank you! I did go to the website. It seemed to be straightforward, but the patching/connecting in Reaper is a little more elusive.

I'd be happy with a link to a tutorial video, if one such thing existed.

what channel do you have the faders set to? mine are all set to 1 then the Fader CCs set to exp / mod etc

It should just work when you open a DAW as theres no drivers etc, once I had the faders all set up which took a few attempts it just worked in Cubase

1605211795593.png

Kirk1701

what channel do you have the faders set to? mine are all set to 1 then the Fader CCs set to exp / mod etc

It should just work when you open a DAW as theres no drivers etc, once I had the faders all set up which took a few attempts it just worked in Cubase

View attachment 38676

I'll try this setup. I did manage to get fader 8 to control LABS master volume last night.

I'll have to check the MIDI channels. I bet that's the ticket.

*UPDATE: did not work. I would bet it's Reaper. MIDI control is a gap in Reaper's functionality.

Last edited:

Kirk1701

Well, I have the faders all set up via the website. I realized I had to select the version with MIDI port. I set up all faders to channel 1, then 7, 11, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.

I'm even seeing MC-8 in the MIDI Devices window in Preferences. I'm just not getting any functionality in the plugins.

Kirk1701

Alright, I give up. I can't get this working in Reaper and I'm thoroughly frustrated.

If someone wants it, DM me, we'll work something out.

Kirk1701

Have you used another controller with Reaper? Maybe try another DAW...seems overly complicated in Reaper.

I've used a variety of controllers with very few problems in Reaper. Arturia MiniLab, Presonus Faderport, M-Audio Keystation 88 all have been largely plug n play.

I have no desire to change DAWs. That's like fixing a cup holder by buying a new car. I had hoped this was going to make VIs a bit easier to use. I'm into making music. It's not the DAW. It's the device. It requires a level of jiggery-pokery I don't have.

I'm sure someone with a bit more knowledge would really enjoy this, but it's not for me.

khollister

The point of trying another DAW is to make sure there isn't a problem with the controller. MIDI controllers don't get any simpler than this thing, so either you don't actually have it set as you think or there is some cockpit error on the DAW side.

One obvious problem could be that you have the MIDI input to your VI track set to a specific device rather than accepting MIDI from all connected devices. I have no recent experience with Reaper, but in Logic and Cubase this can certainly happen. I have no idea what the default is for Reaper.

Kirk1701

Turns out Reaper has some very unique functionality. All I needed to do was set up a master control track and it worked. I never would've figured that out on my own. A very helpful Reaper forum member solved this for me.

How is the quality of the potis and faders compared to sth like launchpad xl? I like aesthetics but getting a set would probably cost more than a launchpad if you include shipping and that thing has additional buttons.

Kirk1701

Good question. I've not used a launchpad, so I don't have any perspective there.

The company has a flat fee shipping rate. I think I paid $15 shipping.

The fader throws are smooth, but have some resistance so you're no slipping around. Nothing motorized here, but most daws have fairly advanced recall, so there are workarounds.

I can't comment on the MC-24 either because I haven't got it. I just wanted a simple bank of faders for CCs. It works really well for that. I'm really enjoying being able to control both expression and dynamics in the Spitfire player.

Well good you mention the recall because studio one has no internal setting for pickup or jump behavior so i need to be able to set it on the controller itself (novation has it as a setting in the preset software). Just to correct myself: The device i ment is called Launch Control XL but it appears you got me anyway ;). I mean the mc8 and 24 look very slick at the very least!

caign

Just a shipping time update, to Australia in my case.

My MC-8 was dispatched by Nikolay on 2 October 2020 after a couple weeks of production delays - which he informed me about. Was delivered on 21 November 2020.

Small packet from Москвы
AUSTRALIAN POST
Handed over to Australia for further delivery
19 November 2020, 15:04 AUSYDA, Australia
Processing in Australia
19 November 2020, 15:03 AUSYDA, Australia
RUSSIAN POST
Prepared for shipment from Russia
06 October 2020, 08:22 102972, Sharapovo
Released by custom house
05 October 2020, 00:57 102972, Sharapovo
Handed over to the customs