What's new

My vep crackling but only using 48% CPU?

merlinhimself

I've been testing out my vep slave in my new setup, it's been stuttering and popping but the CPU load is only peaking at 48%. On my sequencer side everything seems ok testing these same instruments. My buffer size is 256, running a 6core i76850k on the Vienna, and using a focusrite clarett as the interface and 64gb ram.

Any help would be immensely appreciated!!

could be a connection issue. Ethernet cable? Directly between your machine and VEP machine, or to a hub?

Try switching hyper-threading off in BIOS and test again. Windows then has 6 cores running only 6 threads instead of 6 cores running 12 threads. Windows counts the 6 hyper-threaded cores simply as normal cores, totalling 12 normal cores. If certain threads of a program (VI, plugin, whatever) cannot be hyper-threaded by the CPU, then the core load will never pass the 50% mark in the task manager. This has puzzled many people before, google it. By switching off hyper-threading you can thus check for hyper-threading issues. If the displayed cpu load with hyper-threading off is close to 100%, and the CPU does the same amount of work (same number of samples played, same plugin load), then it is certain that hyper-threading is the culprit for the cpu getting stuck at around 50% load. Personally, I don't ever bother checking anymore, if it's stuck around 50%, with nothing else consuming (significant) cpu, then this is it.

If your CPU is not saturated (< 100% load) but the sound is stuttering and popping, your system is not optimized for audio workload.
Here some information:

additional problem sources:
- 3rd party AV sometimes hurt performance
- Backup-Tools like Acronis
- Old driver > update them
- damaged or very slow storage
- low quality mainboard

If your CPU is not saturated (< 100% load) but the sound is stuttering and popping, your system is not optimized for audio workload.
Here some information:

additional problem sources:
- 3rd party AV sometimes hurt performance
- Backup-Tools like Acronis
- Old driver > update them
- damaged or very slow storage
- low quality mainboard

Was definitely all the power saving features! Once I turned off the c states and speedstep it took a ton to even start to stutter at 256, i pasted a 10 note chord doing constant 16ths across my template to achieve this, very unlikely I'll ever realistically push it that far!

Thanks for the link :)

Top Bottom