What's new

My reverb adventure reaches an end....

@I like music

I just tried to toss something together.

A rather far away mix - and that's more or less just based on the kind of random combination of things I grabbed the best sound came from a pretty far back sound mixing.

with careful programming it would work well enough.

That said, I kind of rolled the IR dice - and the most believable result involved leaning heavily towards the further IR's rather than the closer IR's.

I kind of blame that on the weird room that I picked for the middle verb, and the smoothed out/pushed back sound of SP2016 working better as some extra "shine" onto the teldex IR.

@I like music

A rather far away mix - and that's more or less just based on the kind of random combination of things I grabbed the best sound came from a pretty far back sound mixing.

That said, I kind of rolled the IR dice - and the most believable result involved leaning heavily towards the further IR's rather than the closer IR's.

I kind of blame that on the weird room that I picked for the middle verb, and the smoothed out/pushed back sound of SP2016 working better as some extra "shine" onto the teldex IR.

Nice!!

@I like music

Thanks so much for going to the effort. Once the kids are down I'll look at this! Once again, massive thanks!

I can't make a snazzy screencast or anything but that's the gist of it. It's just treating the original signal several times simultaneously with different stereo perspectives/widths, EQ curves, and short reverb "blooms" to simulate the effect of different recording positions. This way you smooth out the transition from the original dry sound to the final sound, and you add some more chaos into things, which always helps something feel more natural.

Looking forward to watching it! My 4G isn't strong enough to stream it but I'm back home tomorrow so itching to experiment this way.

Glad I visited this thread as I would never have considered this approach in a million years. I always chucked on a single reverb and prayed.

My personal findings about reverbs is that they're all good for different things

- Valhalla room if you want a chorus effect instead of a reverb
- VSS3 if you want extreme stereo width, tonal clarity and a good amount of distance
- Bricasti if you want the maximum distance but at the expense of a bit of clarity (smearing)
- LXP (lexicon) if you want good stereo field, some distance but preserving clarity and the original tonal balance. LXP has some of the best plates and halls ever imo.
-Lexicon 480 is like the modern lexicons but a bit less clear, and doesn't "glue" as realistically. Maybe for special applications

So If I have a lot choir that's already kinda muddy but I wanna add a bit of depth, probably Lexicon, if I really want to add distance, maybe on a solo instrument ,bricasti.. They're all good for different things.

Of course by tweaking the settings you can get different results but they all kind of keep certain characteristics due to the algorithms.

Yeah, even if almost every parameter is duplicated between two and so can be set identically, the algorithms themselves/the filters/how the modulation is handled etc. will all still produce something quite different.

My feeling after all this is as you said: most of these excel at particular applications and are somewhat weaker for others. Seventh Heaven feels like perhaps the most versatile to me, but this is such a subjective thing dependent on our ears and how we interact with the plugins.

@I like music

2 for one special.

The superior combo is infinite + sample modeling into the same reverb.

I felt like I was giving SM a bad name by my really legathic attempt at it(remember what I said about being always unhappy)

that said, I know it's a bit off topic - but I added more info, how to EQ each aux, and here's an example with actual samples playing using that combination(the a2 trumpet using SM+infinite)

it can certainly work - but in order to get a big full sound it's a ton of effort.

Attachments

• InfiniteSMexample.mp3
    412.1 KB · Views: 102
@I like music

2 for one special.

The superior combo is infinite + sample modeling into the same reverb.

I felt like I was giving SM a bad name by my really legathic attempt at it(remember what I said about being always unhappy)

that said, I know it's a bit off topic - but I added more info, how to EQ each aux, and here's an example with actual samples playing using that combination(the a2 trumpet using SM+infinite)

it can certainly work - but in order to get a big full sound it's a ton of effort.

Damn! That sounds superb. I can really feel the room and the space invetween me and tbe instruments...

I still havent been able to check out the walk throughs but later when I'm home I want to replicate with infinite + SM strings.

I dont think you have SM strings right? Assuming the same concept will work (to a more or less degree)

Damn! That sounds superb. I can really feel the room and the space invetween me and tbe instruments...

I still havent been able to check out the walk throughs but later when I'm home I want to replicate with infinite + SM strings.

I dont think you have SM strings right? Assuming the same concept will work (to a more or less degree)
I dont, but i used to have audio modelling. still trying to sell my roli so i can be free from the curse

Ita a vicious cycle... Mike and I are veterans of the 2nd modeling war... we didn't heed the dire warnings of @Saxer and his scars from wivi(that I think he still uses occasionally). Wallander himself retired from that cause to build note performer, the literal opposite of a playable instrument.

meanwhile, conflict and strife between SM and AM, @aaronventure took this as a perfect opportunity to hijack the neutral nations in opposition. I've probably aged an entire 6 months extra because of space wars.

Mike and I are trying to enjoy our recovery, and yet in celebration we do a little bump of Predelay and next thing you know on trying to drag him out from under the sink, where he was trying to pull out the U trap. shouting "ITS NOT WET ENOUGH, IM STILL DRY".

also, I'm streaming right now, but I had to take a crap, so sorry if you're one of the few waiting on me to return.

@Mike T

stay with me buddy.

that's samples - with 0 reverb. Ya don't need no stinkin modelled instruments. I kept changing the ending so it got a little weird after being moved around a bunch - so it's not as smooth(mostly because it doesn't make any musical sense with or without programming it better)

and it wasn't teeth pulling to program, although I am spending quite a lot of time being a perfectionist balancing articulations, once I drop them in, they just work how I expect

After getting 7th heaven pro last year, I just simply stopped caring about reverbs.

I'd like to get altiverb eventually for easily putting Foley into it's place but that's really just a purchase for convenience rather than being necessary.

After getting 7th heaven pro last year, I just simply stopped caring about reverbs.

I'd like to get altiverb eventually for easily putting Foley into it's place but that's really just a purchase for convenience rather than being necessary.

So much love for 7th heaven. Definitely going to trial it. I'm hoping it doesn't provide anything more than Reverberate 2 because I don't want to spend money.

What kind of stuff are you using it for? Standard orchestral?

So much love for 7th heaven. Definitely going to trial it. I'm hoping it doesn't provide anything more than Reverberate 2 because I don't want to spend money.

What kind of stuff are you using it for? Standard orchestral?
I'm not exaggerating when I'm saying I use it for everything. I don't even look at any other reverbs any more.

Edit: that's a lie. I DO put black hole on pianos sometimes. Apart from that, it wasn't a lie.

My approach is much simpler generally and I am happy with it. Each section goes to a different instance of EW Spaces II and all send to a plate for gloss.

For pop stuff, the UAD Lexicon 224 gets employed a lot, but I just demoed the UAD Capitol Chambers and that is a gorgeous sound.

Top Bottom