What's new

The Art of the Forgotten

The painting has a few shadows that are whole forms as opposed to the disparate objects the light hit to form the shadows...
Yes, it is what first struck the curiosity of my husband about this painting. Tanguy illuminated the objects directly with collimated light creating distinct dark shadows (umbra) with no penumbra nor antumbra. This way it's like he's giving them an almost volumetric life of their own. Very interesting!

We think that he got influenced in this aspect by Giorgio De Chirico.

Yes, it is what first struck the curiosity of my husband about this painting. Tanguy illuminated the objects directly with collimated light creating distinct dark shadows (umbra) with no penumbra nor antumbra. This way it's like he's giving them an almost volumetric life of their own. Very interesting!

We think that he got influenced in this aspect by Giorgio De Chirico.
So he painted the shadows from observation, pretty interesting. The shadows indeed stood out to me.

Ah ben: "Jeux d'ombres" donc, eh? :)

Clambient. I like it. Composing excellent music and then minting an entirely new genre. Only Tatiana….

Love the piece. Love the extremely well researched and presented backstory. But we’ve come to expect that from you. The music and the sound programming reminded me of that excellent early eighties piece by David Sylvian, titled Steel Cathedrals. It has that same kind of granular grit, as if the synths were covered in dust - retrieved from a dustbin.

It is also very fitting for you to go the clambient route for this piece, Düsseldorf is the home of pioneers like Kraftwerk and Deutsch-Amerikanische Freundschaft (DAF) after all.

My title suggestion: Düsseldorf Dustbin

Last edited:
Clambient. I like it. Composing excellent music and then minting an entirely new genre. Only Tatiana….
Haha! "Clambient" as a name for a genre is no weirder than "shoegazing" :roflmao:
Love the piece. Love the extremely well researched and presented backstory. But we’ve come to expect that from you.
Thank you so much Temme! ❤️ The backstory proposed by my husband was so interesting that it was impossible to resist! :) Then came the composition itself...not so easy. After "gazing" at the painting for an hour or so I started to make some sense if it musically. Surreal the experience was for sure! :)
The music and the sound programming reminded me of that excellent early eighties piece by David Sylvian, titled Steel Cathedrals. It has that same kind of granular grit, as if the synths were covered in dust - retrieved from a dustbin.
Interesting! You're very perceptive as always! As will be revealed soon there are indeed several track of granular synths involved here. Good catch! :thumbsup:
It is also very fitting for you to go the clambient route for this piece, Düsseldorf is the home of pioneers like Kraftwerk and Deutsch-Amerikanische Freundschaft (DAF) after all.
I didn't know that!! Cool!!! DAF is it like in Daft Punk or different altogether?
My title suggestion: Düsseldorf Dustbin
Nice one Doc! "Düsseldorf Dustbin" humm... It has a kinda punk rock or new wave kinda vibe, no? Thanks!!!

A most enjoyable piece of music. The dissonance seems to suggest the fear of being discarded and forgotten. As a title suggestion: "Cast Shadows".
Thank you very much for listening and commenting!! ❤️ Interesting comment about the dissonance and good play on words with "cast" :thumbsup:

DAF is it like in Daft Punk or different altogether?
They were the hottest thing in the very early 1980s. Won my hometown Groningen’s best rock club’s (Club Vera) best-gig-of-the-year poll twice - in ‘80 and ‘81. Very urgent postpunk. Also very electronic. And slightly controversial. Songs to check out: Kebabträume, Verschwende Deine Jugend. Not quite Daft Punk, but they sure had a penchant to write dancefloor friendly grooves. And I bet the Daft Punk guys love DAF.

It has a kinda punk rock or new wave kinda vibe, no?
Must have been me thinking of DAF ;) - I agree. Basically with me a punk mindset is never far away.

I realize the words often have a religious connotation, which is not the case here, but given the back-story I think that "Resurrection" or "Anastasis" are fitting titles.

Wiktionary:
ANASTASIS: A recovery from a debilitating condition, especially irradiation of tissue, rebirth.
Merriam-Webster:
RESURRECTION: The act of causing something that had ended or been forgotten or lost, to exist again.

They were the hottest thing in the very early 1980s. Won my hometown Groningen’s best rock club’s (Club Vera) best-gig-of-the-year poll twice - in ‘80 and ‘81. Very urgent postpunk. Also very electronic. And slightly controversial. Songs to check out: Kebabträume, Verschwende Deine Jugend. Not quite Daft Punk, but they sure had a penchant to write dancefloor friendly grooves. And I bet the Daft Punk guys love DAF.
Must have been me thinking of DAF ;) - I agree. Basically with me a punk mindset is never far away.
You really were at the center of it all in the 80's!
But wait... Were you even born then?!? :confused::eek::rolleyes::P:roflmao:

I realize the words often have a religious connotation, which is not the case here, but given the back-story I think that "Resurrection" or "Anastasis" are fitting titles.
Interesting choices! :thumbsup: Anastasis is a word I didn't see for a long time... Makes me also think of apoptosis and of course, being Russian, of Anastasia! :)

For me, a nice work that fits perfectly with the picture! 👍
Thank you very much Gérald! ❤️ Since Tanguy was originally from France, would you care to speculate how he could have titled his painting in French, and how I could in turn name my piece? :)

Some of you have a real way with words! Some other members I know here (e.g. @Double Helix and @Cass Hansen) are also very good at it. I hope they will also find the time and inclination to submit something. ;)

Anyway a big thank you to everyone for listening and for your interesting title suggestions. It was really fun to read your comments! I plan to make a decision at the end of the day so there's still some time left... :) Best, Tatiana ❤️

Top Bottom