1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My new backup and archive routine

Discussion in 'Your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)' started by JohnG, Jan 13, 2018.

1. JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    I've spent a lot of time worrying about not having a remote backup and now I do. Here's what I'm doing:

Locally, I have a copy of everything copied from all the computers to hard drives set for RAID 1 (the mirror one, so you make a copy right away). So that's really a double backup.

But that won't help if there's a big fire. So you need a remote solution too. Remotely, I take the mirror'd drives and swap them out periodically, keeping one in the studio and one in a safe deposit box at the bank.

For archiving old Pro Tools and DAW projects, I keep a local (upstairs in the house) copy on hard drive, and a second copy on MDisc also in the safe deposit box.

MDisc purports to write data to a ceramic layer that is stable indefinitely (they say 1,000 years but whatever). The large disks can hold 100 GB.

I also create daily backups of all project and Pro Tools files onto a separate drive in those computers, using Carbon Copy Cloner on the Macs and AOMEI for the PCs.

nas, Rohann, dgrace and 1 other person like this.
  2. anp27

anp27 Senior Member

Jul 13, 2014
    I use Carbon Copy Cloner and Backblaze.

JaikumarS and armenjc like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    I'm still considering adding back blaze to back up only my sequences and VE Pro setups. Too much data to use a service like that for sample libraries.

synthpunk likes this.
  4. BGvanRens

BGvanRens Senior Member

Feb 24, 2014
    Reuver, The Netherlands
    Interesting to see what and how other people take care of this.

Personally I have a NAS configured to use RAID 1, planning on adding a second NAS on another location and have them synced up during the night. Although it's only a 2 slot unit, could always add more NAS units or rebuild the mirror using bigger drives (using 2TB drives now). I never considered backing up libraries, might not be a bad thing to do..

5. anp27

anp27 Senior Member

Jul 13, 2014
    Yeah, I have a relatively small sample library and projects (data in general) so Backblaze + Carbon Copy Cloner are perfect for me. Backblaze offers unlimited storage by the way.

6. OP
    OP
    JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    I haven't heard anything bad about Backblaze. For all the online and offsite services, I'm not concerned about the quality, but the amount of data -- it's the rate at which things can be uploaded and stored. I have about 8 TB* of stuff to back up and someone told me that would take months.

If a computer fails, I want to be able to restore in minutes / hours, not a day or more, so that's why I think you have to supplement with a local backup even if you go the Backblaze / other route.

*Initially I wrote "8 GB" which was dumb of me.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  7. OP
    OP
    JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    Sounds like a good setup. The only reason to back up libraries locally is if you're on a sharp deadline and you have to restore quickly to keep moving. You think "I can just re-download them" and you can, but sometimes that can take quite some time depending on one's ISP and the server speed. Some of my large libraries took 12 hours or more to download.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  8. Ashermusic

Ashermusic Senior Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I back up my boot drive and audio drive to a physical HD with Time Machine. Once a month I back up my boot drive and audio drive with Carbon Copy Cloner to a different drive, that I then unplug. I have Backblaze for off site backup for ALL my drives, including the samples.

Not taking chances.

Rohann and JohnG like this.
  9. Kardon

Kardon Senior Member

Sep 21, 2014
    There's a very good "Best Practices" backup workflow write-up from the American Society Of Media Photographers. They open their overview with "There are two kinds of people in the world - those who have had a hard drive failure, and those who will." So true. I lost 3 hard drives last year, one fully backed up, one partially backed up, and one WAS a backup in my NAS (non-RAID). It's very important to be diligent with your backup routines, and keep them up to date (which was my partial backup nightmare, though I think this one can be firmware repaired by a vendor).

The ASMP promotes the 3-2-1 backup strategy: 3 copies, 2 different media types, and 1 offsite. I've slacked off of burning DVD backups for the 2nd media type, and use another hard drive.

The ASMP site is http://www.dpbestflow.org/node/262 and http://www.dpbestflow.org/links/39

World Backup Day is March 31st. But don't wait until then...

Dewdman42, musicalweather and JohnG like this.
  10. anp27

anp27 Senior Member

Jul 13, 2014
    Hmm... Backblaze just finished backing up 600GB from my 1TB drive in about 12 days. I do have extremely fast Internet though and I put set Backblaze on the Unlimited setting (fastest).

Exactly, which is why everything that is backed up on Backblaze is also available on external hard drives in my home. A copy and a copy of the copy. Oh, and I also have a Time Machine backup running.

11. OP
    OP
    JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    @anp27 looks like you're covered!

I miswrote -- should have been 8 TB, not 8 GB!

So if the speed is linear and you have 8TB to back up, it would take 3 months initially. Especially given that it's spread over a number of computers, that sounds like agony. I am happy with the safe deposit box!

12. OP
    OP
    JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    That's why I bought the MDisc thing -- the largest disks hold 100 GB each, which makes it (somewhat) less painful for archiving. I still don't see it as "backup," but more long term storage.

13. BGvanRens

BGvanRens Senior Member

Feb 24, 2014
    Reuver, The Netherlands
    That is exactly the reason why it might not be a bad idea in my case. Even though I could download it at home using my 200Mbit line. I don't like that idea. The connection at my, currently in construction, studio is far less impressive. 14Mbit at best, so having the libraries locally is a huge time saver.

14. anp27

anp27 Senior Member

Jul 13, 2014
    Yup, this sounds about right..

15. Henu

Henu Senior Member

Nov 17, 2017
    Finland
    I've been backupping basically every single music- related thing I've done since 2004 ranging from own projects to work via different album recordings and back. Basically, as my colleagues and bandmates say, "if he's done it, he still has it", haha! I'm completely OCD on archiving everything and make sure everything's backupped as tidy (and small, so I use a lot of zipping) as possible with clear folder structures and names.

Everything's backupped on (at least) two different physical medias at different locations and some to the cloud as well so I'm pretty much covered. I tend to look my work HDD only as a "temporary" storage and make sure that nothing which is not backupped or not important is staying there. The more empty is is, the more secured I feel.

I also have a dirty and quick backup for projects in general: a simple Windows bat- file I run twice a week on the task scheduler or usually manually (double- click on desktop) almost every time I finish the day. Running the file searches my pre- defined locations for all Cubase project files and backs them up in the cloud with the same folder structure I have on my PC. It's especially handy with midi- only projects as there's nothing more you need to backup than just the project file. In case anyone wants to try it out, let me know and I'll copypaste the command lines here!

16. macmac

macmac Senior Member

Sep 10, 2015
    Internal boot drive and 4 externals here for daily use. Every day or so I do cloned backups (via SuperDuper), doesn’t take long.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  17. synergy543

synergy543 Senior Member

Dec 11, 2004
    The Internets
    Amazon has Seagate Backup Plus 8T drives for $169. If you're using a Mac, be sure to get the Mac version ($10 more) or formatting is a bit of a challenge.
    (turn ad block off to see)

18. synthpunk

synthpunk Senior Member

Mar 3, 2015
    The one problem I have is when I tried Backblaze, it did not finish backing up my system in the 30 day trial period. I kind of gave up then. Anything changed ?

Pretty close otherwise to John's (Redundant Raid 1 of samples, projects, files, etc.) and Jay's (CCC & TM system backups once a week to two seperate drives) procedure.

Like many others one more layer of backup would make me feel much better. But it seems the dream of realistic cloud backup was killed when so many cloud services changed or went under.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    heisenberg likes this.
  19. jeffc

jeffc Senior Member

Hey John. I just dealt with this. I ended up using I-Drive for offsite backup - the great thing about it is... they send you a hard drive for the initial backup. Which saves you the weeks it would take. After that, all the periodic backups happen whenever you schedule, every 15 minutes. Once they get your initial backup, it's really smooth and totally runs in the background, and pretty flawless. It's kind of like Dropbox, where it just does its thing and you never have to think about it. I obviously haven't had to restore from it yet, but if it was ever needed, they also offer a hard drive restore option, if you need it fast.

20. synthpunk

synthpunk Senior Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Nice to see Super Duper being developed again. I switched to CCC when things were up in the air last but always enjoyed SD for it's simplicity and free limited version.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018