My Life In Samples - CH, PT & LS Vlogs, Tutorials & Goodies

Discussion in 'SAMPLECASTS, PODCASTS, VIDEOCASTS' started by christianhenson, Feb 7, 2019.

1. redlester

redlester Member

Feb 14, 2018
    Nottingham, UK
    Regarding future "Labs Events" and the like, I realise it will be very awkward regarding staff etc. but if at all possible could any of these be at weekends rather than on midweek evenings, which effectively makes it impractical to attend for anyone who works full time and is based outside of the London area? Or just come and set up a satellite office in Nottingham! ;)

2. OP
    OP
    christianhenson

christianhenson Active Member

May 7, 2017
    Its a very good point and one I will raise with our events co-ordinator... The last time we did an event on a Sunday we had some A-level students as well which was nice.

Here's the latest featuring the talents of Louis, Homay, Oliver and Sandy:

whiskers, ironbut and Primary Target like this.
  3. paulthomson

paulthomson New Member

Feb 28, 2019
    Latest from me - everyone knows about using saturation on drums. What about on instrument tracks? Any point considering it?

dzilizzi, whiskers, gussunkri and 3 others like this.
  4. miket

miket Senior Member

May 17, 2016
    New York
    Good timing, Paul. I was just starting to play around with this idea. Thanks!

5. OP
    OP
    christianhenson

May 7, 2017
    To understand the difficulties that face film makers in making moving pictures helps to "right size" us as media composers so it was a pleasure to have a peak into the craft of being a sound recordist here:

Primary Target likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    christianhenson

May 7, 2017
    I was looking through my old EXS samples 'tother day and realised I've made a sample library for pretty much every job I've done over the last 20 years, here's a quick tour with an insight into how many of the Spitfire libraries evolved:

oh.... and have you heard of "Chopping" on a cello?

whiskers, harmaes, Van and 2 others like this.
  7. thesteelydane

thesteelydane Senior Member

Fantastic as always, and very inspiring for an aspiring samplist! I'm actually working on a chopping viola lib, been doing it (and other rhythmic techniques) for years! If you want to see what can be done on a violin check out Casey Driessen, who have taken chopping further than anyone else. And Rushad Eggleston is king of the cello chop!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019 at 10:24 AM
  8. Rodney Money

Rodney Money My hair is now growing back.

Mar 6, 2015
    I work in Mount Airy, NC aka Mayberry. We all know about chopping around here. Very cool technique!

Jazzy_Joe likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    christianhenson

May 7, 2017
  10. paulthomson

paulthomson New Member

Feb 28, 2019
    I’m building a studio! Check out the first instalment here. Spoiler alert for ep2 - I’ve changed the patchbay layout already lol!

whiskers and sleepy hollow like this.
  11. ironbut

ironbut Active Member

Jun 9, 2015
    eugene or
    Go big or go home!
    Fantastic Paul.
    And what a pleasure to be a fly on the wall as you share your thoughts and these wonderful time lapse videos of the actual construction.
    Being a huge fan of tape, I'm glad to see that a Studer will find a home there too.

12. Mike Greene

Mike Greene Administrator

Wow, that studio looks like it's going to really nice, and I really like your idea of making it a single "everybody in the same room" concept. I'm half-tempted to knock out some walls and do something similar here.

One funny thing as I was watching the video - I'll bet anyone from L.A. watched that and thought, "They're sure not in Los Angeles where we have to worry about earthquakes!" Out here, we have to put tons of steel in the footings, tie the footings to the walls with more steel, then have loads of steel rebar up the walls, and then have all the ceiling joists bolted to the steel in the walls. Oh, to live in a place where earthquakes aren't an issue. :grin: