What's new

My late (unfortunately) entry to the Indie Film Music Contest

Karl Feuerstake

Posting here my entry to the Indie Film Music Contest, the Caminandes 3 Llamigos animated video.

As I was scoring this, I was unfortunately hospitalized shortly before the deadline and didn't manage to complete my entry on time. I still set out to complete it more leisurely once I was discharged, only so that I could get closure on it and maybe get some decent feedback from forum-goers such as you who might be reading this.

If you love or hate any bits of it, think that my music fell apart here or there or missed a few marks, let me know! I'm open to any feedback, all of it is useful in some way, even harsh criticisms :)

yanwenli

Sorry you missed out on the deadline for the official judges, I hope you're feeling better. I feel your pain, I had a lot of technical difficulties with crashing project files while making mine and feared missing the deadline too. All I have to offer in consolation is some subjective (amateur!) impressions of parts I enjoyed a lot and other parts where I felt like it could have been improved with either some tweaks or trying out different ideas. I enjoyed your Caminandes 3 score, so I hope seeing the parts I thought could be improved doesn't get you down.

Parts I liked more:
The logo music in the beginning

Little penguin interrupts Llama 0:24

Llama has berry, little penguin is angry 0:50 - 1:00 (One of my three favorite parts)

End of the minecart scene with llama hitting his head, approaching end of tunnel 1:19 (another of my three favorite parts)

Heroic landing 1:38

The end of the feast/beginning of the credits starting at 2:18 (My other favorite part. I think it has a really fun sound to it).

Parts I thought could use improvement:
Llama trying to eat berries, interrupted 0:12 - 0:24 (To me the comedy of the interruptions didn't hit until the little penguin arrived)

Train coming 0:40 (the music here had kind of an eccentric, horror music vibe to me, when I see a train as a more straightforward threat rather than a mysterious, creepy one)

Falling and early minecart scene (The mood of the early minecart music just didn't land as well as some other parts for me)

Sad Llama 1:58 (I think the sad llama stuff is generally good but there were two things that I thought could be improved: it felt like it got too loud, too abruptly at this timestamp to me and didn't fully transition my mood to the feast part at the end of it)

Last edited:
OP
K

Karl Feuerstake

Sorry you missed out on the deadline for the official judges, I hope you're feeling better. I feel your pain, I had a lot of technical difficulties with crashing project files while making mine and feared missing the deadline too. All I have to offer in consolation is some subjective (amateur!) impressions of parts I enjoyed a lot and other parts where I felt like it could have been improved with either some tweaks or trying out different ideas. I enjoyed your Caminandes 3 score, so I hope seeing the parts I thought could be improved doesn't get you down.

Parts I liked more:
The logo music in the beginning

Little penguin interrupts Llama 0:24

Llama has berry, little penguin is angry 0:50 - 1:00 (One of my three favorite parts)

End of the minecart scene with llama hitting his head, approaching end of tunnel 1:19 (another of my three favorite parts)

Heroic landing 1:38

The end of the feast/beginning of the credits starting at 2:18 (My other favorite part. I think it has a really fun sound to it).

Parts I thought could use improvement:
Llama trying to eat berries, interrupted 0:12 - 0:24 (To me the comedy of the interruptions didn't hit until the little penguin arrived)

Train coming 0:40 (the music here had kind of an eccentric, horror music vibe to me, when I see a train as a more straightforward threat rather than a mysterious, creepy one)

Falling and early minecart scene (The mood of the early minecart music just didn't land as well as some other parts for me)

Sad Llama 1:58 (I think the sad llama stuff is generally good but there were two things that I thought could be improved: it felt like it got too loud, too abruptly at this timestamp to me and didn't fully transition my mood to the feast part at the end of it)

Thanks so much for the detailed feedback! The negative stuff is useful for sure, it won't get me down :)

tfree

I really enjoyed this. I don’t really have time for a detailed analysis I’m afraid but the one thing I thought could be improved was the very final scene - they are all enjoying their grapes but the music doesn‘t sound contented, it sounds kind of mischievous. I thought it would be better if it were a mix between the two. Great work overall though!

I get what tfree says about the end music, I felt like it worked as the 'camera' panned up to the lighthouse but did maybe underplay the 'contented' bit. I thought the train music worked fine though. My problems turned out to be with the video itself, bit derivative of the Scrat episodes in the Ice Age films.

Top Bottom