What's new

My Glass Octopus, has now reached 40000+ views on YT

Tatiana Gordeeva

Long time member
Update (22.05.26):
My Glass Octopus has now surpassed the 40000 views mark on YouTube!! Unbelievable!! :dancedance:

Fresh catch of the day! (21.08.20):
My Glass Octopus has finally made its way officially on the Schmidt Ocean Institute (@SchmidtOcean) multiple social media platforms with hashtag #sciartfriday.

As of now it is
On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/sciartfriday
On Twitter: https://twitter.com/SchmidtOcean/status/1428792693619048456

More details at the current end of this thread (now page 3)...

Update: Wow! 1k+ views !!! Thank you all for your interest !!! ❤️ I extend a special thank you to all of you who "liked" and commented my music below. It really touches me! It seems that My Glass Octopus really grabbed your attention and your heart and sucked you into its world! ;)

Recently I watched with amazement the latest video by the Schmidt Ocean Institute (@schmidtocean) where they showed deep ocean images captured by SuBastian :rolleyes: their own ROV, launched from their research vessel Falkor, during a 34-day expedition off the remote Phoenix Islands, an archipelago located more than 3,200 miles (5,100 kilometers) northeast of Sydney, Australia.

Among the amazing creatures shown was a very elusive "glass octopus" (Vitreledonella richardi), a completely transparent octopus floating in an ethereal fashion, that was the inspiration for my latest soundtrack. Here he/she (do I see an hectocotylus here?) :blush: is on the cover of My Glass Octopus:

1627688026368.png

In the video you will have the pleasure of seeing many other amazing creatures, most rarely, if ever, seen by humans, all moving etherally in their pelagic natural habitat. My music tries to capture the magic of this permanently dark abyssal world. ;)

Of course no synth could be more appropriate for this soundtrack than the amazing mood and ambience creating synth ABYSS by Dawesome. I used it on most tracks here, with some additional colors from Arturia Pigments.

Make sure to watch the video below on a (large) 4K monitor or TV. You will not regret it!

Or if you prefer the soundtrack by itself (but I doubt you will):

1627687881382.png
Nerds only below this point

Like other "glass" creatures, such as glass frogs and certain comb jellies, glass octopuses are almost completely transparent, with only their cylindrical eyes, optic nerve and digestive tract appearing opaque.

These octopuses mostly live in the aphotic zone, the deeper waters where sunlight doesn’t reach, at around 3,000 feet (1,000 meters). They can grow to about 18 in (45 cm) long and are estimated to live about 2-5 years. As glass octopuses live in deep, hard-to-reach places, there is much we don’t know about this translucent and luminescent cephalopod.

At such depths the pressure is about 100 atmospheres (1 atmosphere is like us, here!) so this animal experiences about 1500 lbs per sq. in. (105 kg per sq. cm) of pressure on its fragile "glassy" body :eek: Better bend than break, as they say. :)

1627687932584.png

SuBastian is outfitted with a suite of sensors and scientific equipment to support scientific data and sample collection, as well as interactive research, experimentation, and technology development. It can dive down to 4500 meters!

Like our World? You can do your part too and support research and education about the environment and foundations such as the Schmidt Ocean Institute, a 501(c)(3) private non-profit operating foundation established to advance oceanographic research, discovery, and knowledge, and catalyze sharing of information about the oceans. @schmidtocean

Last edited:
My Dear Aunt Tati 🎶❤️🎶
1st I listened to the music on its own and I really loved it ,stunningly beautiful!
Then I watched the multimedia music/video. This is truly an amazing achievement, a wonderful collaboration of art and science on all angles,BRAVO!
The music supports the video images magnificently and wow I’ve never seen such a stunning glimpse of deep sea life like that and with my Dear Aunt Tati’s beautiful music!
👍

Last edited:
This is absolutely AWE! The sounds are so deep and clear and well crafted, with so many nuances and details - its really lovely and such an interesting listening experience!!!

It fits well to the mood and theme of the video, and what I really love is the synchronicity of images and sounds here and there, so it is not just music played over a video, but it is deeply connected with the imagery, vastly enriching the stunning visuals.

I guess you have a lot of experience in composing for documentaries? If not you should definitely add this to your demo reel - I think this will get you many jobs as you perfectly demonstrate your ability to create a fascinating sound world that underscores the film.

Also thank you very much for showcasing Abyss!!!

This is truly an amazing achievement, a wonderful collaboration of art and science on all angles, BRAVO! The music supports the video images magnificently and wow I’ve never seen such a stunning glimpse of deep sea life like that and with my Dear Aunt Tati’s beautiful music!
Thank you very much!! It was for me a real pleasure to do it. The amazing images were so inspiring! I really hope for more opportunities like this as Nature is my passion after music, which is after husband, who is top, of course! :)

Years ago (30 or so) I've made music and soundfx for a movie made for/by kids (schoolproject)
and it was not easy to "get" it. I mean : give the feeling that everything "sounds" wright.
I would have no idea how to start with nature of aerial images.

Last edited:
Thank you very much!! It was for me a real pleasure to do it. The amazing images were so inspiring! I really hope for more opportunities like this as Nature is my passion after music, which is after husband, who is top, of course! :)
@Tatiana Gordeeva

😱 Did my Dear Aunt Tatie just confirm the she’s is a bottom? lol (I’m sorry I’m just a sleazy NYer) 😂

@Paulogic
I disagree,in this case there’s never too much information! 🤫

Last edited:
Very nice! Did you program the Abyss sounds yourself?
A short question that requires a long(ish) answer...

ABYSS patches, out of the box, are amazingly inspiring and are perfectly suited, among other things, to create slow evolving ambient soundscapes.

In the case of My Glass Octopus, as Peter himself remarked, I had to closely follow the constant and rapid flow of images, each new animal requiring its own musical expression, so I had to work a little harder... :)

Although the ABYSS patches, by their nature, were perfectly adapted to create a sonic background representing the ocean itself in my piece, each animal necessitated a bit more of "sound massaging" (no dirty jokes, pleeeease!).

For almost each animal or scene I had to assemble a custom ABYSS gradient of some of the basic 2000 sounds and then modify some of the parameters statically and, for most, introduce some form of CC control. Commonly, to limit the time extent of some sounds, I had to modulate the volume and position the note to match images at the frame level.

I ended up with dozens of tracks, each with their own inserts (EQ, panning, etc. and other effects) to create an evolving musical "oceanscape" that followed the video as closely as possible.

That's it! :)

Last edited:
This is absolutely AWE! The sounds are so deep and clear and well crafted, with so many nuances and details - its really lovely and such an interesting listening experience!!!

It fits well to the mood and theme of the video, and what I really love is the synchronicity of images and sounds here and there, so it is not just music played over a video, but it is deeply connected with the imagery, vastly enriching the stunning visuals.

I guess you have a lot of experience in composing for documentaries? If not you should definitely add this to your demo reel - I think this will get you many jobs as you perfectly demonstrate your ability to create a fascinating sound world that underscores the film.

Also thank you very much for showcasing Abyss!!!
Thank you very much Peter! So nice to hear from the creator of ABYSS himself!! :)

ABYSS makes things much easier as it readily creates the amazing slowly evolving textures, or soundscapes, that made my work so much easier. That was the reliable "backdrop of my painting" on top of which I could create my "little sonic objects" to match what was going on in the video at that very moment.

But as you know very well, the great modernist architect Mies Van Der Rohe once said: the devil is in the details. And this where ABYSS also shines, a point often overlooked in the reviews posted online so far. The level of control over the final sound is incredible and the interface makes it very easy to understand, given the mind-boggling complexity of the possibilities.

So, thank YOU at Dawesome for creating such an interesting and inspiring instrument!

A short question that requires a long(ish) answer...

ABYSS patches, out of the box, are amazingly inspiring and are perfectly suited, among other things, in creating slow evolving ambient soundscapes.

In the case of My Glass Octopus, as Peter himself remarked, I had to closely follow the constant and rapid flow of images, each new animal requiring its own musical expression, so I had to work a little harder... :)

Although the ABYSS patches, by their nature, were perfectly adapted to create a sonic background representing the ocean itself in my piece, each animal necessitated a bit more of "sound massaging" (no dirty jokes, pleeeease!).

For almost each animal or scene I had to assemble a custom ABYSS gradient of some of the basic 2000 sounds and then modify some of the parameters statically and, for most, introduce some form of CC control. Commonly, to limit the time extent of some sounds, I had to modulate the volume and position the note to match images at the frame level.

I ended up with dozens of tracks, each with their own inserts (EQ, panning, etc. and other effects) to create an evolving musical "oceanscape" that followed the video as closely as possible.

That's it! :)
Thank you very much Peter! So nice to hear from the creator of ABYSS himself!! :)

ABYSS makes things much easier as it readily creates the amazing slowly evolving textures, or soundscapes, that made my work so much easier. That was the reliable "backdrop of my painting" on top of which I could create my "little sonic objects" to match what was going on in the video at that very moment.

But as you know very well, the great modernist architect Mies Van Der Rohe once said: the devil is in the details. And this where ABYSS also shines, a point often overlooked in the reviews posted online so far. The level of control over the final sound is incredible and the interface makes it very easy to understand, given the mind-boggling complexity of the possibilities.

So, thank YOU at Dawesome for creating such an interesting and inspiring instrument!
So impressive in total ! Needs several viewings/listenings, yet so cool to hear such creative sounds .... perfectly timed to several majestic creatures' motions ! ❣️

So impressive in total ! Needs several viewings/listenings, yet so cool to hear such creative sounds .... perfectly timed to several majestic creatures' motions ! ❣️
Thank you so much! The strangeness of the animals and the quality of the images made my job easier! So inspiring! :)

Do you import the 4K video/film in your Daw or do you sync with smtpe code to a different machine.
(or is this nowadays obsolete smtpe ?)
How is the music then added to the video? With the Daw or with some nice video-program or so?

Lady Godiva did it again. Of course some of you may have noticed my current and ongoing fascination with ABYSS. Great synth, by a fantastically involved, helpful and gifted developer @Peter V

This makes me all the more happy that you have composed this marvelous piece of music, went DEEP into the Triple A Tier sound design universe with ABYSS and paired it with an incredibly rich and well crafted score to a little documentary film.

There is so much TLC that went into this… amazing amazing work again Tatiana. This works beautifully with the video and is another showcase for your talents as a composer. You go the extra mile time and time again - and it shows. ❤️

Last edited:
Do you import the 4K video/film in your Daw or do you sync with smtpe code to a different machine.
(or is this nowadays obsolete smtpe ?) How is the music then added to the video? With the Daw or with some nice video-program or so?
Yup, a very good question for which there are, as usual, a few answers:

1) Very short one: videos are in general a pita to work with!
2) Short one: I usually convert anything down to 720p before importing it in my DAW (Cubase Pro) and then, when finished, re-assemble the original 4K footage with my soundtrack (in 24b/48kHz) inside Premiere Pro.
3) Longer and more technical answer:

First 4K videos are HUGE if uncompressed! In most cases they're only available to "consumers" as what's called "long-GOP" format (GOP = Group of Pictures). Think of it as an incremental backup: from frame to frame you only store what has changed. Neat idea to save on storage and bandwidth! But when you play it back your GPU and/or CPU has to work harder to reorganize everything in a nice linear fashion for viewing at some fps.

In most cases nowadays consumer-level videos come as MKV or MP4 files. These are containers able to hold many things. MKV is the Matroska format, a name derived from the famous Russian nested dolls called "matrioshkas" or "matryoshkas", матрёшкu in Russian ;)

1627756748736.png
These are too heavy, especially in 4K, cpu-wise to cohabit with sophisticated synths inside DAWs but as we learned over the years, technology gives all of us hope... and then takes it away (8K is here and 16K and even 32K formats are coming!). :eek::geek:;):)

Added: just found this nicely illustrated explanation:

Last edited:
There is so much TLC that went into this… amazing amazing work again Tatiana. This works beautifully with the video and is another showcase for your talents as a composer. You go the extra mile time and time again - and it shows. ❤️
Thank you so much @doctoremmet ! I did invest quite a bit of time on this one because of all the little details that had to be exactly the right way at the right moment to match the little animals, etc. but it was really fun to do and I do like the result, if I can say so myself :) The video of course is the main attraction here, as it should be, but my soundtrack doesn't detract from it too much and even enhance it a bit I think! :)

Top Bottom