My first orchestra

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Ledwick, Feb 5, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    Ledwick

Ledwick New Member

Feb 5, 2019
    Cool, here it is. Hollywood Orchestra, Stormdrums 3, Steinway D, Hollywood Choirs. No processing, all out of the box.

estolad, JPQ, Manuel Stumpf and 2 others like this.
  2. TigerTheFrog

TigerTheFrog Senior Member

Nov 18, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    As another longtime composer trying to expand my knowledge of orchestral composition, I would like to pass on a few things I've learned the hard way. Maybe you know all or most of this stuff, but I'm going to say it anyway.

Checking System Resources: Go on YouTube and learn about orchestral templates, if you haven't already. Make a full template of all the instruments in Symphonic Orchestra, including all articulations. (I'm not sure the best way to do that in Play, but there are lots of people here who can help you.) Create an epic project--it doesn't have to even be music, just a lot of MIDI tracks. See if your computer chokes--are there clicks, etc during playback. If so, then your options for your first purchased DAW are pared down: you only have to choose from libraries like Amadeus and Inspire that are designed to work on a limited system.

On the other hand, if your template works and you decide to stick with Symphonic Orchestra, it's won't have been a wasted exercise as it's likely to be helpful to your workflow, at least starting out. Maybe not, but if you put your energy into learning a library that your computer can't fully use, then you are headed for an expensive computer upgrade.

Of course, if you keep going with your study, you are going to be spending money on your computer. What you will learn from following this forum is that most pros have very fast CPUs with SSDs and tons of RAM, often including one or more slave computers connected by VE Pro ($300)

Save Money: Very few people in this world ever pays list price. There are regular sales that discount libraries by 30% to as much as 90%. You can find out about them in the two deals forums here, but the most comprehensive information I've found is here. There are big sales on Black Friday/Christmas and Summer, but the truth is that they now go on all year round. There are also stores that have deals all the time, like JRRShop and AudioDeluxe, with increased discounts if you know the codes. My strategy is to research and figure out what I really want to purchase, and then wait for the sale.

Full Kontakt: IMHO this should be your next purchase after your first orchestral library. Wait until the summer and you can get it for half price or even less. It comes with an excellent library of instruments of all types, and once you have it, you can get hundreds more quality instruments for free or for a few dollars. For example, @Bill the Lesser suggested you pick up the free Palette Primary Colors library, but it only works with Full Kontakt. Organic Samples just released a beautiful horn for 2 euros. (fyi, these libraries will work in Kontakt Player for 15 minutes at a time)

More importantly, many of the best paid Kontakt libraries and instruments are only available if you have Full Kontakt.

Good luck! You are definitely on the right path by coming to this forum. I would never have made the progress I have made today without all the advice from the knowledgable and generous people here.

Ledwick, averystemmler and MartinH. like this.
  3. JPQ

JPQ Senior Member

Jul 31, 2010
    To my ears to eighties sounding which is related compostion in some parts of course this dont sound eighties synths. i think there is few nice ideas like piano part.

Ledwick likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Ledwick

Ledwick New Member

Feb 5, 2019
    Yep, there are definitely 80's rock influences!
    The template was a good suggestion. My computer can't handle more than a couple articulations per instrument using multiple instances of Play.

In the song I shared, I specifically tried using only 2 articulations (spiccatos and sustains), and it almost worked, other than the staccato arpeggio. Orchestral Essentials provides staccatos, while Cinesymphony LITE offers spiccatos... hmm. Amadeus has both, but I wonder how the sample quality compares.

5. ptram

ptram Senior Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Ledwick likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Ledwick

Ledwick New Member

Feb 5, 2019
    I wonder whether instead of purchasing Orchestral Essentials 1 tomorrow for my first orchestral library, I should get British Drama Toolkit or Alternative Strings because they're on sale... and Spitfiiiiirrreeee. Watching demos currently...

7. k4music

k4music New Member

Jul 28, 2018
    BDT & Alternative solo strings are on Thunderbolt sale right now @ spitfire website

Ledwick likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Ledwick

Ledwick New Member

Feb 5, 2019
    BDT is probably too much like a texture pad for a first and only library. Alternative strings looks awesome, but all the demos are so alternative lol, I wonder whether it could be used more traditionally. It has regular spiccatos and legatos, just none of the demos show them much.

[Edit] Idk, as much as I'd like my first library to be from Spitfire and a solo string quartet could be interesting to start with, I think I'm still gonna go with Orchestra Essentials 1. It's probably a better starting point, and I won't run the risk of getting upset that I only purchased strings, and that I purchased strings that aren't necessarily bread and butter.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  9. OP
    OP
    Ledwick

Ledwick New Member

Feb 5, 2019
    Hey, thanks for all the suggestions, I finally got my first orchestral sample library! Orchestral Essentials 1. Thought I'd share my "unboxing" of it - a quick track rendered totally dry, no reverb, no processing, no mod wheel... just testing the bare bones samples. I'm quite impressed with how clean and punchy the sound is. Feeling inspired!

(Watch volume)

Manuel Stumpf, estolad, JPQ and 2 others like this.
  10. JPQ

JPQ Senior Member

Jul 31, 2010
    really good. nice hear them used this way i mean ineed rven these are old stuff still fine some uses even used such way what you used them.

Ledwick likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Ledwick

Ledwick New Member

Feb 5, 2019
    This is my final demo of Orchestra Essentials 1, hopefully I did the library some justice.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019 at 9:45 AM
    James H likes this.