My first official 8dio Demo! (Intimate Studio Brass)

DarkestShadow

I'm very happy to have been picked for 8dio's demo composer team!

This is my first piece, I'll definitely be doing more in the future.
I've never written for many individual brass voices before, so this was a jump into cold water in the brass department.
I'm not sure what to think of the track - I'm proud of it and at the same find it quite odd in some ways.

I wanted to musically look at different aspects of the "secret admirer" subject.
The melancholic and deeply mournful aspect, some more light-hearted/comedic moments with somewhat sleezy trumpet lines and times of being lost in beautiful dreams and imaginations.
All in one piece and sometimes at the same time, so the plan. :)

Happy to know what you think.

OP
DarkestShadow

DarkestShadow

Very nice composition. I would lift the brass a bit in the mix though.
Thank you!
Hm, interesting. For me it's actually the opposite - I would actually mix it quieter but 8dio asked to turn it up. Of course, since it's about showing the library.

Sarah Mancuso

Esselfortium
Great work on this! The mixing sounds nice as-is, though I wouldn't mind having the brass a bit more upfront in the mix too, since that's what's being showcased here. A lot of 8DIO demo songs I've heard have had a tendency to bury the showcased library among lots of other unrelated sounds.

OP
DarkestShadow

DarkestShadow

Great work on this! The mixing sounds nice as-is, though I wouldn't mind having the brass a bit more upfront in the mix too, since that's what's being showcased here. A lot of 8DIO demo songs I've heard have had a tendency to bury the showcased library among lots of other unrelated sounds.
Thank you!
It was already hard for me to have to brass as loud as it is upon request, since I personally would mix it even quiter. Just my personal taste... :)
I would just go for the walkthroughs for fully naked examples, demos IMO are about how the product would be used in natural scenarios, which is often more contextual.

I've never written for many individual brass voices before, so this was a jump into cold water in the brass department.
I'm not sure what to think of the track - I'm proud of it and at the same find it quite odd in some ways.

I wanted to musically look at different aspects of the "secret admirer" subject.
The melancholic and deeply mournful aspect, some more light-hearted/comedic moments with somewhat sleezy trumpet lines and times of being lost in beautiful dreams and imaginations.

Congrats on your first demo for 8Dio ! I also find it very cool that you went a very personal way of composing there.

Very very gorgeous piece.

I'm curious - were you scouted out or did you get in contact with 8dio?

OP
DarkestShadow

DarkestShadow

Very very gorgeous piece.

I'm curious - were you scouted out or did you get in contact with 8dio?
Many thanks! :thumbsup:

They posted on their facebook page a while ago that they are looking for more demo writers and asked to link a favorite piece of yourself in the comments. A lot of responses, so I'm glad I'm amongst the picked ones!
Actually took about 2 months till I heard back. Already thought I wasn't in. Was a lovely surprise!

Batrawi

I like the piece a lot. And unlike others' views I think that the brass level is just right in the mix. Showing the library in context is more important than putting it up-front as to show it off IMO...besides, there should be other pieces or naked demos to serve that purpose....

If ok to share here, would be interested to know what other libraries you used as well, especially the strings. All in all you did a great job in fusing all of these libraries into one beatifully cohesive arrangement

OP
DarkestShadow

DarkestShadow

I like the piece a lot. And unlike others' views I think that the brass level is just right in the mix. Showing the library in context is more important than putting it up-front as to show it off IMO...besides, there should be other pieces or naked demos to serve that purpose....

If ok to share here, would be interested to know what other libraries you used as well, especially the strings. All in all you did a great job in fusing all of these libraries into one beatifully cohesive arrangement
Thank you! :)
And we share the same opinion on demos.

The strings are Cinematic Studio Strings + their solo strings. With a lot of processing...
The piano is the Bosendorfer from EW Pianos. Gold - With 1 additional mic (close) with my Composer Cloud subscription. Just a suble bit of the close mic.
The harp is EW's Hollywood Harp.
Ah, and some free piano library coming in at 0:57 for the faster lines. Can't remember which. If anyone cares I can check.
I like this a lot Lionel, it tells a story. Nice as a demo for the brass as well.
Thank you as well! :)

Last edited: