My first completed piece

Metamorpheus

Hello, good people. I've been lurking around in the shadows of these forums for a while. There are so many nice people here, and so much to learn from so many of you. Humbly, I hereby submit my first finished little piece, for piano and strings. Please feel free to give feedback - on composition, orchestration and/or mix, I am not afraid to learn, and am painfully aware of my ignorance. I have no formal musical training and cannot read traditional notation. The piece is not intended for any particular genre - I just tried to follow my musical intuitions as truly as I could.

Libraries:

CSS
NOIRE
BBCSO CORE
NUCLEUS
Tina Guo Cello vol.1

DAW:

Reason 11

Cheers!

Last edited:

Shiirai

Avian Member
disclaimer: I'm not even a skillfull amateur.

I listened to it twice and have put it on a third time to listen more closely. Which automatically means it's definitely not bad!

I really like the introduction and end of the piece. I also like what you're doing with the Cello (at least I think it's a Cello but what do I know). It does, however, seem like the mix becomes rather muddy at that point. Someone else may care to elaborate if they notice the same. Strings at the start may be a wee bit too soft.

Anyway. Very nicely done!

OP
Metamorpheus

Metamorpheus

Thank you for even listening. And yes, I do agree about the mud. Any suggestions on how to unmud it would be very welcome, of course. At the moment, though, I am just thankful someone listened and somewhat enjoyed my music.

BlackDorito

I like the pedal point that sets a dramatic tone to the piece. As mentioned above, you could clear out some lows to make more room for the cello. The low ensemble strings that came in at [1:17] seemed a wee bit incongruous to me after I'd been concentrating on the cello ... like, where has this voice been earlier? Good job.

OP
Metamorpheus

Metamorpheus

Thank you for listenening, and for interesting feedback. I will experiment with removing some low-end piano, and maybe introducing the cello-ensemble earlier.

Shiirai

Avian Member
Thank you for listenening, and for interesting feedback. I will experiment with removing some low-end piano, and maybe introducing the cello-ensemble earlier.
Making sure things aren't in the way of each other is, of course, part of your composition.

If you find you didn't overly populate certain ranges however, I suggest going in with an EQ and balancing things that way. Might want to put a low-cut at around 24hz as well.

Last edited: