My experience with Reaper

Discussion in 'Your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)' started by rudi, May 6, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    rudi

rudi Member

Nov 25, 2007
    More experiences...

I had to go back into Cubase Pro 9.5 to do some housekeeping yesterday...
    I was looking for the pan law setting and it took a google search to find it...
    which made me realise how good it is n REAPER that:

- all the settings except for Project settings are in the same place

- and... there is a search option so you can find them instead of having to scroll through dozens of settings and sub-settings

- I also love the fact I can save separate configurations to my computer when I am experimenting with layouts and shortcuts... and go back to previous configs if I needed to. In Cubase I was always worried about messing something up when tinkering with settings.

Rasmus Hartvig likes this.
  2. MOMA

MOMA Member

Apr 19, 2018
    Preferences differs, and I know there are many very competent musician that go for the dark style of themes. But I do prefer a brighter environment. I do like to colour my mixer for a faster navigation and workflow. I do like a bright background to my tracks when I cut, stretch or set envelopes. An I would say that the protools theme with bright background is the most clean, solid and clear space to work in – for me that is. You can find it on the Reaper forum.

MOMA

3. DANIELE

DANIELE Active Member

I like the commala ones, pretty the same of the default one but better colors. I used the dark one and modified to my needs.

Look also at the V6 one, from what I've seen it seems pretty good so far. Maybe it will be the first time I'll use the default theme.

Fredeke likes this.
  4. I must say that switching from Pro Tools to REAPER as a main DAW was a game-changing step for me personally, though my main motive was increasing costs of Pro Tools updates after the introduction of yearly subscription plans, which were more and more difficult for me to follow. The ethic of Cockos in that respect is certainly much more fair toward end-users with limited means and not only the big players.

However, other than that, I find REAPER superior to PT in many ways. The most obvious one is it's "blank sheet" concept - the possibility of customization, not only in terms of appearance is simply staggering. The second one is its rapid development cycle. If you are hoping to get a certain feature that could improve your personal workflow, chances are you'll get it in REAPER sooner than in other DAW programs out there. Finally, REAPER is a program with quite a small footprint which make it a solid platform for engines like Kontakt, Reaktor, Guitar Rig etc.

Fredeke and Rasmus Hartvig like this.
  5. Fredeke

Fredeke Active Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Belgium
    What's great is that I can very easily switch themes (without even restarting the program!) to match colors with my mood or the mood of the song I am making. Swell!

rudi likes this.
  6. Fredeke

Fredeke Active Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Belgium
    Those look very nice, and there a great choice of colors and variants :2thumbs:

I just realized I can even switch themes while the song is playing, without even a glitch ! Perfect for matching visual atmosphere to song.

@rudi I too used Cubase on Atari ST a lot... Did several albums with Cubase 2.0 (no audio, only MIDI) and it was a dream. Cubase was a real game changer in the sequencer world. It was first, I think, to introduce the virtual tape layout. Sequencers before that (like Steinberg Pro24, or the hardware Roland MC-500) were prehistoric in comparison (MC-500 lovers, fire at me now!)

Then I saw Cubase VST on PC, and its next installments, and I just wanted to rip my eyes off. Definitely too much flash and clutter.
    I used to use ProTools 5 (or was it 6) on Mac OS9 and that was great. But now Reaper is my man.

I never saw the Atari Falcon version of Cubase (Cubase Audio), which came between the ST and the PC versions. But back when it was released, it seemed fantastic: at last it could record audio, so no need for expensive and clunky tape synchronisation anymore ! It was limited to 8 tracks, but which home studio had more than an analog 8-tracks anyway ? (As for big studios, they could afford the early ProTools)

The Atari Falcon had an onboard DSP, for whatever it was worth, but I doubt it had 8 inputs, so I suppose you could only record 2 tracks at a time - which would have been ok for me at the time. But it didn't sell well because, by the time, newly affordable PCs were pulling the rug under Atari, Commodore, and everybody else except Apple's feet.

Ah, memory lane...

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  7. Hasici

Hasici New Member

Apr 4, 2019
    And I did the opposite, just purchased Cubase 10 PRO...it is right now probably the best deal in a long time with the 50% on top of cross-grade deal. The PRO can be had for $170USD (or $255 CAD) + $35 for dongle if you have any of those crossgrade legitimate products. And not tax which is cool. It makes it the cheapest big boys DAW.

But for sure personal license for reaper is a gift. The 5 already have spectrum editing which is awesome and few other things that even big editors still lack. I am very easy to forgive any issues or idiosyncrasies with reaper. Much less with other DAWs.