What's new

My Crazy Phase

dpasdernick

I can't bring myself to buy software anymore. I just had about $1300 to spend on musical stuff and I bought an Emax 1 an Emax II and a Korg Krome. When I'm browsing for musical tools I find myself drifting towards hardware. I do have a crap load of software, more than I need, but I just can't get excited about downloading a half a terabyte of another string library.

There is something incredibly visceral about hardware (plus I can sell it all at anytime) that gets me giddy. I spend a lot of time monkeying with wires and MIDI stuff but just love the tinkering aspect of it.

Do I need a therapist?

Kind of suffering burnout on acquisition, myself. I've got a ton of stuff. Hardware and software (and real instruments). Not enough time in the day to play it all.

Lately, it beginning to seem as if just managing and updating the software I already own is an enormous chore. VSL is driving me nuts on this, with their "Synchronization." But others aren't far behind. It's not quite as big of an issue with companies that have a software manager app. I toss and turn at night because I'm not adequately backed up. What's really complicating things now is the need to maintain a lot of old version of libraries to be able to load archived sessions. Thank goodness the price of SSD storage is coming way down.

I like hardware a lot, too. I made a pretty substantial investment in Eurorack stuff over a year ago. It's intriguing when I read about new modules, and it would be nice to acquire them. But, I've kind of resolved to not expand my Eurorack system any more until I really start using what I've got. It's fun stuff, but it REALLY takes TIME (I couldn't imagine turning to my Eurorack stuff at all if I had a tight deadline, even though I grew up with modular stuff).

Top Bottom