What's new

My Computer is a 1950s Orchestra - Part 2

alexballmusic

Hello,

I had a lot of fun doing the first one of these and learned a few things, so decided to do another to see if I could better it. What do you think?

Sounds used:
Strings: Spitfire Audio Chamber Strings & Orchestral Tools OSR
Brass: Cinesamples Cinebrass Core and Cinebrass PRO
Woodwinds: Spitfire Audio Symphonic Woodwinds
Percussion: Spitfire Audio Joby Burgess Percussion
Harp: Orchestral Tools Symphonic Sphere

Sequencer: Cubase 6
FX: Mixed in mono using Izotope Vinyl, U-he Satin, Waves, T-racks

Score: Hired from the Light Music Society (https://www.lightmusicsociety.com/library-search/?returnedWorkTitle=Portrait+of+a+Flirt&returnedComposer=Farnon_Robert)

As the previous tune, this sounds excellent.
I'm far (very far actually) from an expert, but this sounds really authentic to me. Well done.

Somewhere around 0:45 I thought to myself, "Self, this sounds like Mary Poppins." Then around 1:19 I thought, "Self, this really does sound compositionally similar to Mary Poppins. I wonder if it is the same composer?" Turns out...no....but, there is a crazy rabbit hole you can journey down when investigating who did the music to Mary Poppins. Just ask me. I just spent way too long down that rabbit hole since listening to this track. All that to say, kudos! Job well done!! :)

The winds and brass seem markedly improved from last time. This sounds really cool. Have you thought of doing some vintage mix chain emulation? Tape warble, the whole bit...

Somewhere around 0:45 I thought to myself, "Self, this sounds like Mary Poppins." Then around 1:19 I thought, "Self, this really does sound compositionally similar to Mary Poppins. I wonder if it is the same composer?" Turns out...no....but, there is a crazy rabbit hole you can journey down when investigating who did the music to Mary Poppins. Just ask me. I just spent way too long down that rabbit hole since listening to this track. All that to say, kudos! Job well done!! :)

Haha! I love a good wormhole.

Farnon did compose some film scores. I was also watching a Pathe film from the 1950s the other day and his name cropped up at the end as thr composer.

The winds and brass seem markedly improved from last time. This sounds really cool. Have you thought of doing some vintage mix chain emulation? Tape warble, the whole bit...

This is running through Izotope Vinyl and U-he Satin and actually mixed completely in mono. I tried to keep the wow and flutter light so it was there, but not heavy handed.

Would be interested to try it through Waves Vinyl or something else.

..Oh and thanks on the woodwind and brass. I used the individual Spitfire woodwinds last time and the Symphonic Woodwinds this time as it's since been released. It's definitely better. Plus I Cinebrass PRO now as well, so could do those muted sounds.

And I took on board a lot of feedback about the brass in the mix of the last one.

I'd like to hear this mixed quasi Duophonic :2thumbs:

That would be interesting to do - for sure!

The unprocessed stereo mix didn't sound as old as I wanted, even when I'd used tape and vinyl emulation so I tried going completely mono and it sounded right. I hadn't thought of then going back to a faux stereo with a duophonic mix.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Hello,

I had a lot of fun doing the first one of these and learned a few things, so decided to do another to see if I could better it. What do you think?

Sounds used:

Score: Hired from the Light Music Society (https://www.lightmusicsociety.com/library-search/?returnedWorkTitle=Portrait+of+a+Flirt&returnedComposer=Farnon_Robert)

This is sooooooo cool!!!! Refreshing!

Hello,

Sounds used:

Can I use Izotope Vynil for epic OST? Thanks!

Top Bottom