What's new

My big fat guide to using a virtual orchestra.

Sweet! Admire your work Alex. I will definitely be watching this for tips on making my machines behave as well as you've tamed yours. Cheers!

Am I hearing subtle pitch modulation in several of the soloed string examples...?

Perhaps it's just the way the pitch falls when combining one library with another. (There was a example with Spitfire SCS and LASS during which it sounded to me at though there was pitch modulation on the LASS track.) (Also, some of the bigger section examples had some sort of pitch artifacts that attracted my attention when soloed.)

Obviously, when the entire orch was playing, the pitch changes I hear were much harder to hear, and may have added a bit of realism to the recording. (No offense meant-AT ALL-to my actual human string playing pals!!!)

The vid is wonderful. Thanks for making it available here.

@alexballmusic ,

Many Thanks for making this wonderful, and helpful video tutorial, very well done. :2thumbs:

Q. Do you start your project in Cubase, or in a notation program (i.e. Finale, ..etc.), then import the midi, and tweak it in Cubase ?

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Am I hearing subtle pitch modulation in several of the soloed string examples...?

Perhaps it's just the way the pitch falls when combining one library with another. (There was a example with Spitfire SCS and LASS during which it sounded to me at though there was pitch modulation on the LASS track.) (Also, some of the bigger section examples had some sort of pitch artifacts that attracted my attention when soloed.)

Obviously, when the entire orch was playing, the pitch changes I hear were much harder to hear, and may have added a bit of realism to the recording. (No offense meant-AT ALL-to my actual human string playing pals!!!)

The vid is wonderful. Thanks for making it available here.

Yes you absolutely are. That's coming from either Izotope Vinyl on the group channels or U-he Satin, Vulf Compressor or Abbey Road Vinyl on the mix bus. When instruments are solo'd it is more obvious but it blends more when everything is passing through it together.

@alexballmusic ,

Many Thanks for making this wonderful, and helpful video tutorial, very well done. :2thumbs:

Q. Do you start your project in Cubase, or in a notation program (i.e. Finale, ..etc.), then import the midi, and tweak it in Cubase ?

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Thanks. I do it entirely in Cubase. I play some stuff in and draw other parts depending upon difficulty and how much forensic sculpting is needed.

Thanks. I do it entirely in Cubase. I play some stuff in and draw other parts depending upon difficulty and how much forensic sculpting is needed.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm guessing it takes quite some time to complete one of these pieces. Given the amount of programming, both real time, and manual-mouse based editing required, and even the actual note data, automation, orchestration, arranging, ..etc. can get quite complex. then the mixing, engineering, ..etc. but the important part is ... It all pays off at the end !

Oh... and I like your term : Forensic Sculpting :geek:

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm guessing it takes quite some time to complete one of these pieces. Given the amount of programming, both real time, and manual-mouse based editing required, and even the actual note data, automation, orchestration, arranging, ..etc. can get quite complex. then the mixing, engineering, ..etc. but the important part is ... It all pays off at the end !

Oh... and I like your term : Forensic Sculpting :geek:

Yes, these aren't quick to do! I do them in stages over several weeks. Probably take 16 hours or so in total. Possibly even more.

Forensic sculpting - haha, yeah. You have to get the magnifying glass and tweezers out when editing.

Loved it! F'n incredible to have such a detailed walk through from beginning to end. Just an honest strait forward walk through, not trying to hide or obscure any tricks or processes. (shows all the plugins used, how and where) What a breath of fresh air. You can sense a composer who can really write, b/c he's not obfuscating the process in mystery.

Simply awesome. Thanks!

Loved it! F'n incredible to have such a detailed walk through from beginning to end. Just an honest strait forward walk through, not trying to hide or obscure any tricks or processes. (shows all the plugins used, how and where) What a breath of fresh air. You can sense a composer who can really write, b/c he's not obfuscating the process in mystery.

Simply awesome. Thanks!

Thanks, appreciate it. Thought I'd try and show things in reality, so glad that came across!

Just finished watching it. Thank you. Probably one of the best You Tube videos I have ever watched. You have a brilliant tuition method. Will you be making anymore?

Thanks. I think I'll start incorporating more tutorials, although it wasn't what I was originally intending to do lots of when I ventured onto YouTube. I enjoy making music and videos and playing around with different instruments and genres. But I realise there's only so much of my music people will listen to before they want something that's of use to them, so I'll probably start balancing things with more tutorials so it's a two-way thing.

Thanks. I think I'll start incorporating more tutorials, although it wasn't what I was originally intending to do lots of when I ventured onto YouTube. I enjoy making music and videos and playing around with different instruments and genres. But I realise there's only so much of my music people will listen to before they want something that's of use to them, so I'll probably start balancing things with more tutorials so it's a two-way thing.

No man. Seriously, just videos of you with your own music and going through how you wrote them. Or live writing sessions would be incredible! I know, I know. I'm so demanding haha! You don't have to do anything of course but it would be appreciated so much.

Top Bottom