My best piece so far (8dio Century Artisan Brass Demo)

DarkestShadow

Hi everyone!

I do feel like this is my musically most advanced and cohesive track yet and I'm not sure I'm gonna write anything better any time soon (at least in this more filmic style) - very happy with it (feel free to rip it anyway haha).

Also an official demo for 8dio's Century Artisan Brass series. All 3 sections used - Flugelhorns, Euphoniums & Cimbassos. No other library/brass.
Love the warmth of these "exotic" brass instruments... should be used far more IMO!

Overall my idea was to travel back and forth in time, "between past and present", going back and forth between a old school film score type writing and a more modern approach, involving soundscapes and synths, more modern orchestration etc..

Interestingly it was probably the easiest "serious" track ever to write for me... I can't remember feeling particularly challenged at any point, despite it being the most 'advanced' and varied track musically I've done. I also couldn't disagree any more that 'epic' music is easier to write since I struggled more with just about any track I've done in that style than with this one.

Well, I hope you like it! Thanks for listening...

(This version is slightly different from the one at 8dio)

karelpsota

http://karelpsota.com/
It's rare that I listen to 4 min tracks all the way through. You managed to have contrasting blocs that still flow into each other. The mix is nice too. Well done!

mediumaevum

I really like this. Good job on both the strings, brass and overall reverb. Sounds real enough to me.
Sorry, I can't critique anything on this. It's way beyond my own skills, both in terms of composition and how to make the virtual instruments sound real.

2chris

This is a great demo, and I enjoyed the back and forth changes a lot. They can be abrupt, almost like three pieces joining together, but as it takes each turn it's very nice and fits. My favorite was at 3 minutes where the strings and piano combine so nicely to usher in the brass little by little.

Can I ask which strings, choir, and piano set this is from? Everything blended so nicely with the Artisan Brass.

EDIT: I'll answer my question. I saw this on your sound cloud:

Strings are a mix of Cinematic Studio Strings, Cinematic Studio Solo Strings, Con Moto Violins B, Adagio Violins + Fluid Shorts for violin staccatos. Woodwinds are EastWest Hollywood Woodwinds for flute runs, 8dio's Claire Alto Flute & Intimate Studio Woodwinds. Choir is Oceania & Liberis (childrens choir).

OP
DarkestShadow

DarkestShadow

This is a great demo, and I enjoyed the back and forth changes a lot. They can be abrupt, almost like three pieces joining together, but as it takes each turn it's very nice and fits. My favorite was at 3 minutes where the strings and piano combine so nicely to usher in the brass little by little.

Can I ask which strings, choir, and piano set this is from? Everything blended so nicely with the Artisan Brass.

EDIT: I'll answer my question. I saw this on your sound cloud:
Many thanks! :D

Yep, there they are.. but all libraries are processed pretty heavily. They wouldn't blend to together like this out of the box or with minimal processing... I think.

Had mixed feelings about also processing Artisan Brass quite intensely but on the other hand... if someone wants that exact sound I'm around and happy to break down the processing so noone feels cheated haha. But it's not too far away from the out of the box sound.

LowweeK

Monkeying with libraries
Very well done and not boring for 1 second.
I'm also impressed by the cohesive sound, given the great number of libraries involved.
Congrats !

2chris

Many thanks! :D

Yep, there they are.. but all libraries are processed pretty heavily. They wouldn't blend to together like this out of the box or with minimal processing... I think.

Had mixed feelings about also processing Artisan Brass quite intensely but on the other hand... if someone wants that exact sound I'm around and happy to break down the processing so noone feels cheated haha. But it's not too far away from the out of the box sound.
What kind of processing are we talking about? Typical stuff like reverb, EQ, compression, limiting? Or more extreme things? I always assume people are processing stuff. If you have tools in your DAW, why not use them?

I think your demo brings up an interesting point. When do you decide which library to use when you have a bunch? I ask this rhetorically, because it's usually literally switching stuff out to taste (at least that what I do) - but we all have our favorites we lean toward.

OP
DarkestShadow

DarkestShadow

What kind of processing are we talking about? Typical stuff like reverb, EQ, compression, limiting? Or more extreme things? I always assume people are processing stuff. If you have tools in your DAW, why not use them?

I think your demo brings up an interesting point. When do you decide which library to use when you have a bunch? I ask this rhetorically, because it's usually literally switching stuff out to taste (at least that what I do) - but we all have our favorites we lean toward.
Well, I'm 99% talking about EQ. But I'm pretty crazy with it... over 20 cuts and a few wide boosts here n there per patch usually - with most libraries I have.
Otherwise just reverb and some stereo imaging. Just simple wider/narrower levels. And in Cubase the stereo enhances has a "color" knob - no idea what it does exactly but I like playing around with it on some patches for interesting stereo effects.

And I'm generally not thinking actively what library I'll use for what... just what my initial instinct draws me towards in terms of tonal character and scripting style. But of course also having in mind strengths and weaknesses of libraries to fluently navigate through all the options.