Muzzle on Daniel James? - With apologies, here's where I moved the posts

sostenuto

Big NKS Fan !
The Golden Rule lives on ! ( he who has the gold ….)
Yeah, serious stuff, but I'm self-focused enough to not be isolated from useful /helpful /credible information due to a single disputee with infinite possible issues.
Not totally surprising :whistling:

RiffWraith

Eh, Fredrick would have never done this.

And I certainly hope that this was Mike's decision alone; if he were in any way influenced by SF, well, that would be a sad day for both this forum and for SF.

--edit--

Mike just confirmed that this was in fact his doing, and not done by request from SF. Good to hear.

Last edited:

synergy543

Who knows how many voices have been silenced without anyone knowing about it?
Silenced? How dare you!

The threads simply get moved to the Drama Gas Chambers where they "naturally" disappear out of neglect (as they don't show up on the recent posts thread to possibly annoy any advertisers).

Counting minutes before this one's moved too. NS, deja vu!

Strange thing is, both Mike and Gary are cool. So why can't we just get along? Oddly even on FB, Lorne Balfe as asking (who works with Hans Zimmer, who's library comments by DJ, triggered all of this!).

Last edited:

Maxime Luft

Well that's the downside of a growing success, where one has to face more and more jealousy and spurious critics.

I nonetheless don't think he's been literally censored.

HOWEVER, great forum, and I honestly don't care about the drama (at all):)

Last edited:

Jeremy Gillam

Say it ain't so! If Daniel James hadn't objected to Hans Zimmer Strings so fervently I might never have spent my hard earned money on it, much to my loss.

davidgary73

On FB, even Lorne Balfe was shocked to hear DJ was banned from saying anything about Spitfire, good or bad.

VI Admin...run this place for the people, not Spitfire.

By muzzling DJ, Spitfire are losing lots of customers and Vi losing forumers (in his FB post). Well done both V.i and Spitfire. Both at the losing end.

Last edited:

miket

HOWEVER, great forum, and I honestly don't care about the drama (at all):)
It can be a great forum at times, no doubt. I wish I could also agree about the drama. There's lots of good stuff about VI-Control, but of course the negatives take the spotlight, and it definitely tarnishes the place for me.

It seems like there's been a steady stream of controversies ever since the end of last year. Some have been pretty innocent, some were flat out weird, but the biggest have definitely been all about ego, and have led to a palpable "us and them" vibe on here.

And... it doesn't take much of a breeze for those embers to flare up again. I mean, I made an irreverent joke that didn't even refer to anyone specifically (neither in what I wrote, nor in what was in my head when I posted it), but DJ took it and others' comments personally and proposed the thread that is now responsible for him being "silenced." That's a pretty dumbfounding sequence of events.

I really feel for Mike Greene, who I think has handled everything that's been thrown at him admirably considering the utterly thankless position he's in. DJ's latest about Spitfire was something to be discussed with them directly and privately if he was indeed worried about them getting into murky business territory, so I can't say I'm sorry to see that thread/whole line of discussion and its all too familiar grandstanding buried. I would be very surprised if Mike's decision was based on anything but concern about hosting some of that speculation on his forum, and I'd be even more surprised if the decision were anyone's but his.

I confess that I've thought about migrating to Redbanned, because MV is a great guy and he seems to run a tight, bullshit-free ship, but as more people join that will likely change beyond anything he can control, and I can already see that I would get frustrated by certain tastes/tendencies there.

Besides, I'm starting to wonder why I even need to be on a forum in the first place. Not that most of you here aren't great, but all of this makes me think hard about whether or not what I'm getting out of being part of "the community" is worth all of the other stuff that goes along with it.

*A lot* of people (including some pretty prominent ones) in said community, whether on here or Facebook or wherever, seem more interested in arguing to the end of time about why they have the right opinions, than in anything else; the right taste, the right method, the right VI's... and I'm just sitting here thinking I want to make some half-decent music before I shuffle off this mortal coil.

Sorry to get a little dark there. :)

Last edited:

Voider

Came from the future
Without knowing how it feels to be an administrator and how difficult decisions for them could become,
I'm always a bit disappointed if I see that admins tend to punish everyone involved or even only the one being attacked, instead of taking a look at who began or who's not playing fair.

It all probably started with the review of HZ strings. Daniels review was really big, but some people did only focus at one line that they could criticize, while they didn't care for the other 95% of the review with way more positive aspects. As a matter of fact then, Daniels statements got twisted around and made up to things he never said, again just to attack him, because it was obvious that nobody could come up with such nonsense conclusions by default. Then Hans himself attacked Daniel with some statements that were beyond any good manner.

Since then some people in this forum do seem to enjoy to force Daniel into defense, with intentionally misreported or twisted statements that he never made in this way, or with simply focusing at one thing without spending attention to the context.

Personally I'd rather like to see these people getting punished for breeding discord, instead of punishing someone who has contributed so much to this forum, for us and for many developers. Things are going the completely wrong way here, if after all Daniel is the one who gets muzzled.

Phillip

VI Control is a business venture. Bottom line is a priority. David James is just another innocent casualty of this situation.

Mike Fox

I don't know what "essentially banned" means, but I would like to know what the message actually was. I think a statement like that demands some serious clarity, because If DJ was in fact banned from saying anything about Spitfire on here, there is something incredibly sickening about that. I'm all for hearing the second side to the story, but after seeing the way Spitfire treated DJ during the HZ Strings fiasco, I wouldn't be a bit surprised.

Last edited:

gtrwll

I'm all for hearing the second side to the story, but after seeing the way Spitfire treated DJ during the HZ Strings backlash, I wouldn't be a bit surprised.
And that's sad, really. If it wasn't for DJ's detailed walkthrough video with the good and the bad on Albion One, I'm not so sure I would have bought it in the first place.

Mike Fox

And that's sad, really. If it wasn't for DJ's detailed walkthrough video with the good and the bad on Albion One, I'm not so sure I would have bought it in the first place.
I've read dozens of similar comments. I'm sure DJ has made Spitfire tons of money over the years just with his walkthrough vids alone.

paulmatthew

I bought Loegria and HZ Perc based on DJ's walkthroughs
Same here . I've also heard him make more positive comments about Spitfire's libraries than negative comments over the past few years on social media and his reviews/ walkthroughs.