What's new

Mussorgsky mockup

Alexey

Hello guys. I did this mockup using OT Berlin Inspire and Impact Soundworks Orchestral Bundle as part of my orchestration and ear training. There are only basic articulations as you may hear, but it was fun doing it!

Now I would appreciate if you guys gave me an advice as to where to should I move from this point. I hear some orchestration problems, sometimes the orchestra may be too big and unrealistic, but that's all. What can I do to make it sound better and develop my skills further?

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

I like it, the choirs would deserve to have a bigger volume in the mix for me (I'd the feeling that I heard some) :) you can increase the dynamic contrasts in some parts (for example between part a 0:33 & part at 00:37) in order to sound more realistic and profund . I don't hear that your orchestral is too big for my ears, but it lacks some dynamic range/variations. :) I hope it makes sense

I like it, the choirs would deserve to have a bigger volume in the mix for me (I'd the feeling that I heard some) :) you can increase the dynamic contrasts in some parts (for example between part a 0:33 & part at 00:37) in order to sound more realistic and profund . I don't hear that your orchestral is too big for my ears, but it lacks some dynamic range/variations. :) I hope it makes sense

Thanks, Svyato! I will concentrate on dynamics more next time, it's the biggest thing when it comes to realism in sample orchestras, I absolutely agree.
There is a choir btw! Though it's a little shy now, because I just couldn't make it sound right. Will work on it too:)

I like it, I agree that the choir should have a bit more space in the mix.
Somewhat I feel I am missing a bit of dynamics, I think you could achieve much more realism trying to use a wider range from the instruments dynamic

For example the end, I would expect to be a forte and to outstand in the piece, while it sounds almost the same of other parts

I like it, I agree that the choir should have a bit more space in the mix.
Somewhat I feel I am missing a bit of dynamics, I think you could achieve much more realism trying to use a wider range from the instruments dynamic

For example the end, I would expect to be a forte and to outstand in the piece, while it sounds almost the same of other parts

Thanks for your opinion, Stefano! The end should have sounded higher in dynamics, but I missed the "middle point" in other parts so the velocity curve was at its top in the end. I think it highlights the overall dynamics problem. So I will watch it from now on!

Thanks for your opinion, Stefano! The end should have sounded higher in dynamics, but I missed the "middle point" in other parts so the velocity curve was at its top in the end. I think it highlights the overall dynamics problem. So I will watch it from now on!
One thing which is difficult to do is to achieve an orchestral piano, we always tend to increase too much the dynamics. I learned myself that I need to decrease and decrease till it reach a realistic volume :)

One thing which is difficult to do is to achieve an orchestral piano, we always tend to increase too much the dynamics. I learned myself that I need to decrease and decrease till it reach a realistic volume :)
I think it also may be a monitoring problem in my case. I might be trying increasing my overal volume by increasing velocity. So the point must be in playing the lowest velocity and finding the comfort level of piano for each instrument, then adjusting them.

I think it also may be a monitoring problem in my case. I might be trying increasing my overal volume by increasing velocity. So the point must be in playing the lowest velocity and finding the comfort level of piano for each instrument, then adjusting them.
Indeed,
You should target something like -6db as max volume when editing
Then when finished you can boost up to -1 with mastering tools

If you want to get -1 when editing you surely end up with flat Dynamics

This is also based on my personal experience

Top Bottom