What's new

MUSIC: What are you listening to ? ?

OMG I hadn't thought of Today is the Day since their first album, and I'm pretty positive I first found out about them through the old Relapse catalogue (late 90s I think?). Very cool band.

Geez, you guys are really getting me into the good stuff! Played the classic "Focus" last night, Cynic is just chockful of incredible musicians.
First two albums ( Supernova and Willpower ) were on AmRep. I think they went to Relapse on the third one. Here's the band that became TITD, Alien in the Land of Our Birth. You may like them as well.

Apparat’s typically-amazing new album, LP5. If you want to hear how one successfully combines electronic and acoustic instruments, where the whole is greater than the parts, look no further:

apparat-lp5.jpg

I've been absolutely blown away by the S Korean folk/electronica/??? artist Mid-Air Thief recently, the production is just bafflingly inventive (check the below from 1m10 to 1m30s as it morphs from Brazilian sounding bossa/folk into a sort of explosion of pyschadelic chip tune-ness) and the songwriting and performances are beautiful:

Jon Anderson, Ian Anderson (From Jethro Tull), Billy Cobham, Chick Corea, Jean Luc Ponty and many others on this album. It’s just nuts! Prog with jazz players! There’s no link to the track “Come Up” but it’s the perfect mix of jazz and prog.

Hoping to pick up Periphery's and Devin Townsend's newest albums in a few days...been also listening to some classical music.

Top Bottom