What's new

MUSIC: What are you listening to ? ?

A whole set of videos of performances by pianist and composer Andreas Foivos Apostolou just went up on YouTube yesterday. I'd never heard of Apostolou before, but based on these videos, he is a man of exquisite musical taste as he's performing an extremely eclectic mix of music by some of my favorite composers, including Tigran Hamasyan, Leo Ornstein, Carl Vine, and Hiromi Uehara.

I haven't checked out Apostolou's own music yet, though there are some examples on YouTube as well. Currently, as I type this, I'm listening to his performance of a commissioned piece, George N. Gianopoulos's Sonata for Piano, op. 46.

This is the first time I've heard of or heard any music by Gianopoulos but so far, it is wonderful--it seems to be exploring similar sonic territory to Carl Vine's 1990 piano sonata, which is great from my perspective since the Vine sonata is without a doubt my favorite piano sonata of all time. The original recording of it by its dedicatee, Michael Kieran Harvey, is still unmatched, but Apostolou gives the challenging piece a serviceable performance.

Ah, the Gianopoulos sonata just ended. That was so good, I'm playing it again from the beginning. The Vine influence is even more evident on second listening. I'm going to have to seek out more from Gianopoulos.

Last edited:
The Bandcamp page hasn't been updated yet, though this EP is scheduled for release today. But, this track has been released on YouTube, as of about 4 hours ago, to join the other track from Alfa Mist's new EP, Two for Mistake, so I'm checking it out there.

Top Bottom