Music Theory - is there ever a point where you have everything in your composition under control?

Discussion in 'Composition, Orchestration & Technique' started by ein fisch, May 15, 2019.

1. VinRice

VinRice ... i am a robot ...

May 20, 2017
    The UK of Englandshire
    Then what the fuck are you arguing with then? The OP asks about whether learning theory is worth it. Answer = yes.

Parsifal666 likes this.
  2. ism

ism Senior Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Here's how parallel 5th should be taught:

(Notwithstanding the bit in the final chapter where he says that students should be taught why to avoid parallel 5th until after they've had the avoidance of parallel 5th beaten into them by rote)

Parsifal666 likes this.
  3. robgb

robgb I was young once

Apr 6, 2016
    No. The answer is it depends on the individual. I've said that from my first post. The hostility is no more necessary than the sarcasm.

4. VinRice

May 20, 2017
    The UK of Englandshire
    That's a bullshit passive-aggressive non-answer. EVERYTHING depends on the individual. What's necessary in my posts is my decision. Are you trying to pressure me into conforming to your behavioural norms? Or perhaps trying to signal an implied moral superiority?

Parsifal666 likes this.
  5. robgb

robgb I was young once

Apr 6, 2016
    Yawn.

6. halfwalk

halfwalk Member

May 13, 2017
    You are attacking a viewpoint which is contrary to your own, by intentionally reducing it to an extreme caricature of its actual intent rather than actually engaging in meaningful dialog regarding why you might see things differently.

I hope you recognize the irony of your accusation of signaling implied moral superiority.

7. mikeh-375

mikeh-375 old school

Feb 8, 2016
    Earth
    Rob with the greatest respect, some of this post above is flat out wrong and is typical of the misunderstandings and assumptions often made by some.

muk, Parsifal666 and Sean like this.
  8. robgb

robgb I was young once

Apr 6, 2016
    I can only speak from my own experience and the experience of friends, some of whom embrace formal learning and others who don't. And I'm not strictly speaking about music theory, but all creative endeavors. The same applies to writing, for example, which is my particular profession.

Probably a waste of time engaging. I've put him on ignore.

halfwalk likes this.
  9. VinRice

May 20, 2017
    The UK of Englandshire
    You are making the mistake of taking me seriously. I suspect irony is a concept you struggle with.

10. VinRice

May 20, 2017
    The UK of Englandshire
    I rest my case.

11. halfwalk

halfwalk Member

May 13, 2017
    I think it's not a matter of how it's "supposed to be done," but rather the creation of a framework that determines whether or not something is "musical."

If it cannot be explained by music theory, then it must not be music, right? It depends on what the individual considers to be musical, rather than what people have traditionally agreed upon. Some people hear songs in the wind, where others just hear noise.

It's about consciousness and the perception of vibrations, arbitrarily, as "music" and how music theory can (not saying it does, but it can) instill a sense of "tunnel vision" regarding what music is and isn't.

robgb likes this.
  12. Farkle

Farkle Senior Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    I recommend reading this book, and then doing each of the chapter's drills, repeatedly (spend like 1-2 weeks on each one).

Ron Gorow - Hearing and Writing Music

13. VinRice

May 20, 2017
    The UK of Englandshire
    All fun and games aside, there are two arguments here that seem to have become conflated. 'Formal' education is a whole topic unto itself that actually has nothing to do with the OP's question which was about learning. Will you become a better musician, songwriter, composer by learning theory? Unequivocally, absolutely, yes.

Sean likes this.
  14. Sean

Sean I don't know what I'm talking about

Apr 5, 2019
    I really can't understand how people would think otherwise, its absolutely mind boggling

Parsifal666 likes this.
  15. Parsifal666

Parsifal666 I don't even own a DAW, I'm just a troll.

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    Nice! And when it comes to parallel fifths, thank God for Tony Iommi!

MartinH., patrick76 and ism like this.
  16. ism

ism Senior Member

Dec 14, 2016

What I think is the root conflation (and why these threads predictably degenerate in more Luvvies vs Boffins acimony) is the way that being badly taught theory can not only *not* help you become a better composer but can even do you damage as a composer (if you internalize badly conceived theory) vs the indisputable value of theory itself.

A trivial (if slightly dramatized) example: I do actually believe theory of parallel 5ths is extremely valuable - when the underlying musical reasons and their contexts are understood. But internalizing the rule by rote is only useful you want to be a hack churning out derivative chorales of undigested Bach.

Parsifal666 likes this.
  17. VinRice

May 20, 2017
    The UK of Englandshire
    Perfect.

Parsifal666 likes this.
  18. VinRice

May 20, 2017
    The UK of Englandshire
    Ooh. What's this on my desktop? It's a video of War Pigs from 1971! Quick blast to reset my brain after watching Eurovision (26 songs all with the same 4 chords)

Parsifal666 likes this.
  19. Parsifal666

Parsifal666 I don't even own a DAW, I'm just a troll.

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    OH yeah! Can't imagine that song without THAT solo. Iconic.

20. eph221

eph221 Member

Feb 12, 2019
    No sarcasm, no condescension and no devaluation in my world.